VagabondStarJXF

Upgrading/converting An Old Acoms 27mhz Tx To Run Acoms 2.4 Ghz Rx?

Hey everyone on TC,

I've been thinking about this a bit lately because I'm starting to spend a small fortune on changing my old Acoms gear up to the new 2.4Ghz stuff. That being the case, I've become a little annoyed that the small fortune I spent over the last couple of decades or so is now doing nothing more than gathering dust. Now I've seen the Corona and Assan DIY kits but I'm not really interested in them.

What I want to do is upgrade my old/vintage Acoms 27mhz 2ch Techniplus Chrome & Black handset with the new Acoms Technisport AP2400 internals so that I can continue using the DR-224 receivers on all my cars. Now I'm not sure how to do any of this, assuming that any of this is actually possible to do, so I'm hoping someone on TC might know how I'd go about doing this.

I realise that the 27mhz Techniplus controller is a stick type and the new Technisport 2.4ghz controller is a wheel type but I'm really hoping that it's just a case of taking the 2.4Ghz module out of the later model and soldering it into the 27mhz module's place, relegating the old 27mhz module to the spares box. Can it be this simple or would the difference of controller type pose a problem?

Another issue I'd have is that I'd have to fit a button somehow, somewhere, so that I can pair up the Tx to the Rx aswell. I have a plan to basically fit it where the 27mhz crystal should be (if it's possible to do the whole conversion). Any ideas how to jury rig the crystal casing so that it becomes a button that's kinda like the keys on a keyboard? (spring returning)

Last thing I can think of tonight is the aerial. I can't quite see how to fit the shorter aerial into the old handset without damaging or doing a major alteration to the thing. Does the 2.4Ghz system specifically need that smaller aerial or would it be ok to use the original extendable one?

Many thanks for anyone that can help on this idea,

J.

Thanks for the link but...

I've seen the Corona and Assan DIY kits but I'm not really interested in them.

Anyways, I've thrown Eddystone a pm so I'm hoping he'll be able to give me a run down of how he did it.

BTW this is the controller I'm intent on converting.

DSC02482.jpg

DSC02483.jpg

Regarding some of your questions:

The antenna length is determined by the frequency of the transmitter. Usually an antenna is a fraction of the wavelength, which is the inverse of the frequency.

More details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_(radi...onant_frequency

If you've ever looked at a 2.4 GHz receiver it is only the tiny silver part at the end that is the actual antenna. I've never had a look inside a 2.4GHz transmitter antenna, but my guess is that the actual antenna is at the very end and the same size as the receiver one.

So no: You can't use the old one. If you find the right kit you may find one where you can stick the new one out the old hole. If you look at the Corona kit, you'll notice there's a lead from the electronics board to the antenna mounting and that should be easy to fit. But any module that has the antenna soldered directly would be hard to adapt.

The Corona kit seems the easiest option. According to the comments on the Hobby King product page you just solder it on to the old antenna mounting. That means you won't have to figure out the controls and everything yourself.

It looks like the bind button is on a separate board. I like your idea of using the crystal hole for it. If you sand down the crystal cover so it slides easily and glue it to the bind button you should be fine. Or if you have to keep holding the bind button while binding, just leave the crystal cover as it is as any resistance will let it stick in place while you bind.

Also the electronics are pretty small so you should be able to find room for them in the transmitter case. It works on 8-13 volts and I'm assuming your transmitter has 8xAA, so that should also work fine.

You probably won't be able to use your new Acoms receivers, but the Corona ones are dirt cheap at $12.99

I have to ask why you don't just buy a new system. I understand your frustration in having stuff go obsolete in a few months/years, but converting and upgrading is almost always more expensive in the end. The conversion kits would be something I would consider for an older computer radio, the Futaba 4VWD comes to mind, to get more life out of it but not something basic like an old Attack.

Now if your goal is to put modern technology into an old radio case because of the way it looks things are different. If you really want to go through with this I would get myself a cheap donor system and transplant the internals. The following comes to mind:http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/u...?idProduct=8338

Personally I would recommend looking at the lower end computer radios such as: http://www.nitrorcx.com/fs-g3-24ghz-radio.html. They really are not that expensive anymore and will outperform any reasonably priced conversion you can put together for your old Acoms.

P.S. Don't forget to factor in the cost of receivers. I'm using a FS-GT3 for my vintage collection these days after realizing I have small fortune tied up in Futaba R603FF receivers in stuff that rarely gets run.

Thats so awsome does anybody know if you csn convert the new style am radios

with digital trims like futaba 2pl.

thanks

skip

Since the trim and all the neat features are built into the transmitter I would think the same kit would work.

I have to ask why you don't just buy a new system...

Now if your goal is to put modern technology into an old radio case because of the way it looks things are different.

Yep. That's another reason why I want to do it. B)

I know converting is always the expensive route but I like my controller and having the chance to keep using it would be great. Another thing is that I'd have something that's a little more unique as I'm sure not many people would bother doing a conversion this way, especially to a nice looking 'vintage' handset like the one I want to use. All in all, I know that converting is actually a waste of money because new 2.4Ghz sets are kinda cheap now... but it isn't always about how cheap you can be in this hobby.

Didn't we leave our wallets at the door on our way in? :D