Sign in to follow this  
tamiyafanatic

Mountaineer's Mica red paint

Hi there. Quick question:

I just painted my Mounty's body with Tamiya's mica red spray. It looks much darker than other Mountys I see posted. Do people generally use red instead of the mica red?

Darwin

This is exactly what happened to me. I bought the mica red thinking that it would turn out like the box art. Overall I like Mica red more so than a straight solid red with no metal flake. The paint turned out so nice that I couldn't bring myself the add the stripes from the decal sheet. I did however use the chrome stickers

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0OQBpZekSpPb...h/DSC000020.JPG

This photo is a little dark but it shows how nice the paint reflects in full sun

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0OABMCroSs!v...cA/DSC00003.JPG

logo_member2.gif

Edited by - Shodog on 08 Oct 2002 21:32:05

Edited by - Shodog on 08 Oct 2002 21:33:44

Edited by - Shodog on 08 Oct 2002 21:34:17

Edited by - Shodog on 08 Oct 2002 21:37:03

Yup, mica red is a darker 'cherry' tone, with less obvious particulates.

It is also more translucent than other metallics so it will be affected by the undercoat. If painted over white it comes out like Shodog's (yes?), but if you try with darker backs like blue or black it'll look various varieties of red wine.

Already had a "manual-authentic" mica red example, so decided to do last month's car in Metallic Red over chrome silver instead to give it an extra sparkle. Given its intended job as crowd-pleaser, it did its job well.

(yess Theo!)

sml_4355.jpg