MAD RACER

Super Shot/ Hot Shot ....upgraded Steering.

I have had this mod done for over a yr now.

The steering cranks are from a Top Force J Part tree, Alloy Stand offs are Top Force too. All in all just been shortend to fit into the Super Shot radio box. The drag link is riding along the bottom of the chassis and had to Dreamel the sides out for the cranks to achieve the max throw.

The steering servo sits where the MSC servo sat. Rx on top and a LRP Quantum speedie in the corner. The main bell crank that attaches to the servo link has been bent down to clear the front gear box. The bumper Undertray was spaced out by one shock piston and can't even notice it. In fact no one believes me when i tell them its got Top Force steering Cranks till i show them through the inspection hatch.

It could be done a little better but is my first go at it. I bought the Rc Channel steering kit but didn't like the looks of it so i decided to try it myself. Oh its all ball raced too.

Standard servo is as quick as my rc 10 steering. More lock , No Bump Steer.

Cheers

Mark.

Photo155.jpg

• Like 1

I have been waiting for someone to post this mod.. thanks Mark! Aren't the Top Force parts about as easy to come by as a Parma HS Bump-steer eliminator? (i.e., impossible)

Mike your right on the J Parts tree.

I bought a heap back when they were cheap from JR/RC store .

BUT i think you are in luck as there are alloy steering kits out on the bay to fit the TA01/02 so should fit.

My Mate Bormac did it to his useing the Avanti Rack which i think its better as its really low profile.

Thanks for the reply Mark! I need to drop the mechanism box on mine and evaluate how much space I have. I am surprised you put the ESC on bottom and the reciever on top, I know things get toasty in there. LOL. I almost think I could do something similar and remove the "hatch" on top and get some additional cooling to the ESC too.

Thanks for getting me off of my rear on this mod! LOL :) I can't be the only person that found this really helpful.

Thanks for the reply Mark! I need to drop the mechanism box on mine and evaluate how much space I have. I am surprised you put the ESC on bottom and the reciever on top, I know things get toasty in there. LOL. I almost think I could do something similar and remove the "hatch" on top and get some additional cooling to the ESC too.

Thanks for getting me off of my rear on this mod! LOL :) I can't be the only person that found this really helpful.

No problem Mike.

You are right about the speedie but is a Low turn speedie and is waterproof so it doesn't get hot at all not even warm as i use a 19T motor and its nothing for it.

This mod is in RC10 talk as well but i don;t think too many people really want to do it . Seems strange as its nolt hard and really improves the Hot Shot/ Super Shot alot.

Has so much better steering and handles the rough alot better due to no bump steer.

No problem Mike.

You are right about the speedie but is a Low turn speedie and is waterproof so it doesn't get hot at all not even warm as i use a 19T motor and its nothing for it.

This mod is in RC10 talk as well but i don;t think too many people really want to do it . Seems strange as its nolt hard and really improves the Hot Shot/ Super Shot alot.

Has so much better steering and handles the rough alot better due to no bump steer.

I'm put off by the tiny ESC or rx required to make room in the rear of the mech box. Other than that, I think it is an ingenious mod given the space you have to play with in the hotshot mech box, especially as it avoids decreasing the ground clearance unlike an aftermarket mod kit I've seen recently, but it does use some hard to come by parts. When I've finished my latest project I might have a look to see if I can do something similar with a GPM TT-01 steering hop up I've got lying around. Perhaps the rx can be fitted in the front over the top of the steering ???

Oh, I really like this mod!!! Improves the car alot, yet the looks are "intact"!

I think I'll go for something like this as well, the RC Channel kit is mounted but the ground clearance is really poor!

Oh, and those Yeah Racing shocks aren't good after all! Look all bling, but the quality is poor! The inside of the shocks are not straight, so that the piston are sometimes pinched, and at other locations have way too much room. Which means poor shock effect. So I'll use Tamiya TRF shocks in stead! :D

Here's something if you wanna go totally overboard!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I guess that's something similar to the old "Hot Trick" mod from the 80s?

Sorry to hear that with the shocks.

I have over 30 pairs and the latest set has the same problem as you described. The only other problem i had was the bladders leak some times. Tamiya bladders fit straight in and solved it.

Yes that Lohas Hot Shot is sick. But doesn't look like a hot shot and i just love the looks of the Hot/Super Shots.

Yeah, it's too bad! When I received them they looked the shizniz! But all that glitters ain't gold... :lol:

Yeah, I agree! The "hot trick" kit looks awesome, but you totally loose the original look of the Shot! It ends up looking like a completely different car...

My car is ready now as to suspension, your cross brace fits perfectly! And that also retains a lot of the "original look"! :)

I received yesterday the Radshape parts for Hotshot/Boomerang, which mounts the shocks in front of the wishbones. But I didn't really like that solution either...

Question: Any idea as to suitable pinion size with a 8,5 turn brushless in the Hotshot? What's the internal gear ratio?

@Madracer: What did you do as to front bumper? I'd like to have some sort of minimalistic & effective modern bumper, which gives maximum ground clearance. The original one makes room for the servosaver & links = too low...

Oh, and one more thing: Why can't we have sub-treads for "Hot/Super/Thunder-shot/Boomerang" etc? I'd like to have similar cars grouped together!

Hi Shy 69.

Motor wise i have played with lots of brushed motors from 11t to 27t. Best motor i found is a very strong 19t like Trinity Chamelon or Komondo 19t which are very fast. Geared with a 13t pinion and lipo batteries it goes really well. Funny the Technipower was around a 21t so not far off. From my testing and playing with Z run brushless in my other runners the Zrun 13t brushless is very close in performace to the Trinity 19t. Tested side by side a 19t rc 10 and a 13t rc10 brushless.

SO i am going to put a 13t brushless Z run in my Hot Shot next and play with gearing. A 8.5 will be way too much i feel for track use but i think the 13t will be just right.

I use the Stock bumper and like the looks of it. Mine is spaced under by one snall shock piston and can't hardly notice it.

The HP suspension kit is the best i think. Just match up some better shocks and make sure the front end bottoms out before the shocks run out of travell.

Hmmm... 8,5 turn might of course be too much. But I compete in 1:10 OR in both 2-and 4WD, and we nowadays run 6,5 in 4WD and 8,5 in 2WD. And you need that kinda power to clear the jumps. So I'm thinking 8,5 in this old dog should be ok... I'm gonna set the ESC settings very low of course - that actually does make a big difference. Sometimes changing the ESC settings is enough, you don't always need to change to a different turn motor.

OK, so maybe I'll start with a 13t pinion then... Steel of course! :lol:

Mike your right on the J Parts tree.

I bought a heap back when they were cheap from JR/RC store .

BUT i think you are in luck as there are alloy steering kits out on the bay to fit the TA01/02 so should fit.

My Mate Bormac did it to his useing the Avanti Rack which i think its better as its really low profile.

I'm working on this mod now... do you have the parts no. for that TA01/02 kit?

Trying to modify the RC Channel kit, but it's a bit of an hassle. And it's not ballraced, which is a disadvantage.

Could you give me your measurements of this mod? Distance between holes etc. And I'd like to see a pic of it in "full travel" to the right or left!

Cheers

post-23005-1288272003_thumb.jpg

Ordered this yesterday, should be great!

It was just too much work to use the parts from the RC Channel kit for the mod. This OTOH should be pretty straightforward! :)

Yep thats my Mate jason.

I think this is better than mine as it's lower profile. The rack is of a Avanti. Even harder to find. The servo is low profile KO.

I have since made a fiberglass bottom plate like Bormacs.

As long as it works thats the main thing.

Cheapest cranks and low profile i say is rpm aftermarket ballraced cranks.

You have options so just do what you feel.

To be honest i didn't think i could get the top force cranks to clear everything but i just did.

Cool! I see that he has dremeled away more on the sides, in order to place the rack further back >> smart!

But why do you use the fibreglass plate? Just to stiffen it up more? Do you glue it on top of the plastic?

[off to sleep]

post-23005-1288272003_thumb.jpg

Ordered this yesterday, should be great!

It was just too much work to use the parts from the RC Channel kit for the mod. This OTOH should be pretty straightforward! :)

Looks the goods. I had to cut down the alloy post to as low as you can go. the lower drag link is a pain.

The fiberglass bottom plate just adds more strength back as you do cut a lot out of the chassis. Bormac did more than mine. Its all trial & error . Not hard just takes a while. Bormac and I did them at the same time..

Hi Shy.

More people see it the better i say.

Keep us posted on your steering Mod.

Will make a big differance once all finished.

Cheers.

Mark.

I have a TA-02 with this same issue. I have a Yeah Racing alloy steering kit on it at the moment and it's pretty crappy. They are just an alloy clone of the originals so all the same slop and movement is still there.

I'd like to fit the GPM steering system (that Shy has purchased) but I'm not sure how the posts would work on a TA-02 (it's designed to fit that car though) becuase I can't find GPM fitting instructions, probably because they don't usually provide them. The TA01/02 both have posts moulded in to the bathtub chassis that the steering fits to, so providing the posts is a little confusing?

I also thought about drilling and tapping the holes the track bar (bent metal wire bit) goes through o nthe Yeah Racing arms and changing it for a strip of metal with 2 screws through, would that work, do you think?

I don't know the TA-02 chassis, so can't help you there. Anyone else?

The DF02 Tub chassis is hard to improve on.

I don;t think there is much you can do. The only option that i see is too add the Top Force FRP Decks with the Top Force J parts steering cranks. This will give more steering and smoother. You will need the alloy stand off's and under tray....

Maybe TA Mark might be able to help????

Well done.

That looks great.

Can't wait till you test it out. I feel it will be well worth it.

Post testing results please SHY69.