VagabondStarJXF

Filming Rc's?

Hi all

I've been trying to find a decent digital camcorder to mainly shoot vids for my RC's but it's also got to be a pretty good camcorder to handle all the usual holiday films, birthday parties and everything else that someone and/or their family might eventually try to film. Obviously I'd rather spend my money on more parts for my RC's (it's a much more satisfying habit than drink or drugs :( ) so I don't really want to spend thousands on it. That being said, I don't want something that's so cheap that I'll hate the quality it provides. I'm thinking of something within the £150-£350 price range and preferably nearer the middle than nearer the top end if you know what I mean. After all it's mainly for hobby use and I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to go all Spielberg with my filming but I do, however, have a certain list of 'wants' which I'm sure can't be satisfied in one single camcorder unless I spend thousands.

Here's the list:

Can record at Full HD (1080p)

High Frame Rate/Slow Motion recording

Uses SD cards up to and including the new HDXC cards

Time Lapse recording

Compact for convenience

Waterproof (optional because I know I can get those odd looking waterproof camcorder bags)

Cheap like a budgie! :)

Like I said, I've been trying to find something and the one that I like the look of so far is the Sanyo VPC-SH1 but I'm not sure how many of the boxes it ticks. I know that it isn't waterproof, the slo-mo setting looks ok but isn't anywhere near HD quality and I don't know if it has a time lapse recording setting. Good points is that it goes up to full 1080p, it uses the SD cards up to the HDXC 64Gb cards, it can take still pics while I'm filming (apparently), it's kinda cheap at about £250 and it's also very very compact.

What's everyone using at the moment? Does anyone use the VPC-SH1 and is the VPC-SH1 a good choice? Is there anything that ticks all the above boxes in my list of wants? I have about a month or so before I will have the money to buy something so any help and/or advice would be much appreciated. I don't want to get something and find that it doesn't catch the action. Another thing I'll need to know about is editing software. What's a good one to use on a PC that's still running XP? (I've also got a Laptop that runs Vista but it's currently out of action due to viruses... it's a long story). I've read in a couple of places that the HD codec is a bit of a nightmare. Has anyone heard of any easy to use programs that can handle it?

Thanks,

J.

Oh, I guess I should also mention that I've already got a couple of mini tripods that I use with the camera to take pics of my RC stuff, I still have a cleaning kit somewhere from 'way back when', and I think I've still got a camcorder case or two laying about somewhere aswell so accessories aren't something that I'll worry about at the moment unless there's something very specific that is absolutely necessary.

FAO Mods: I'm not sure if this is in the right area so please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place. Many Thanks, J.

Well, I don't think I have the answer for you, but the GoPro Hero HD has a lot of those features.

Granted it's not a "real" camera, as it has no screen to view what you're doing. But it does do 1080HD, TimeLapse, 60FPS, and is waterproof. Plus it's small and mountable to RC's, and shoots with a wideangle lens which is good for catching action. But not so good for real life photography...

I'm looking to get a camera for RC filming and the Casio Exlim cameras seem to be the way to go for Highspeed FPS.

Cheers,

Might well be the case that most people who film their RCs (like me) still use good old tape based camcorders, so not much help for the specs you are looking at...

I'd definitely make sure you get optical zoom if you are filming RC vehicles as otherwise they end up being tiny in the video.

Focus time is a big issue especially in low light. Also, consider wake-up time when looking as quite often with family (and RC) I've had an "I've got to film that" moment.

From memory, the gadget show looked at some "1 button" camcorders recently. I fell in love with the Kodak Playsport as a second camcorder (waterproof, quick & basic) but it has no zoom or high speed capture.

Steve

ive looked many times at this subject, we regularly meet up and normally take pictures and some video of our running, ive tried the micro camera's off ebay for around £20 and they were ok, the gopro hd camera's seem to be the best, small easy to mount and waterproof, and along with the high frame rate (makes slow motion video much smoother) and 1080dpi makes it perfect for rc.

i intend on getting one myself, at the moment i just strap my sd camcorder to the rc and try not to overturn it lol.

Hey buddy. I film my RC's a lot and use three different camera's.

- Sometimes I use a Gopro, but just a Hero 3 (not HD).

- I use a micro cam (keychainmodel I bought on Ebay for next to nothing), which is nice to use inside, and even underneath the car(s)

Quality is not at all bad, but of course not HD. Nice thing about this one is when it breaks I couldn't care less.

- My absolute favourite is the Casio Exilim FH20. This is in essence a photo camera, but it can also film in HD ánd Hi-speed 210/420/1000 fps

particularly 210 fps is what I use quite a lot. You can even speed this up a little with the right editing programm.

Iff you want to check out results; I sometimes place my movies on Tamiyaclub (iff the system permits me :) ) and otherwise you can check 'em out right here: http://www.youtube.com/user/dirbee1971?feature=mhum

Hey buddy. I film my RC's a lot and use three different camera's.

- Sometimes I use a Gopro, but just a Hero 3 (not HD).

- I use a micro cam (keychainmodel I bought on Ebay for next to nothing), which is nice to use inside, and even underneath the car(s)

Quality is not at all bad, but of course not HD. Nice thing about this one is when it breaks I couldn't care less.

- My absolute favourite is the Casio Exilim FH20. This is in essence a photo camera, but it can also film in HD ánd Hi-speed 210/420/1000 fps

particularly 210 fps is what I use quite a lot. You can even speed this up a little with the right editing programm.

Iff you want to check out results; I sometimes place my movies on Tamiyaclub (iff the system permits me :) ) and otherwise you can check 'em out right here: http://www.youtube.com/user/dirbee1971?feature=mhum

About the high fps modes... what resolution do they film at?

it does not have all your requirements but you might be interested in the HD hero GoPro motorsports. this is the camera i use to shoot my rc videos while being followed by another rc

it does not have all your requirements but you might be interested in the HD hero GoPro motorsports. this is the camera i use to shoot my rc videos while being followed by another rc

That's what I said a few posts up. It's a great camera and has lot of potential in the right hands.

Cheers,

Skottoman

Thanks for the help everyone.

I've decided, after a long and difficult time of scouring information (and funds dwindling), to go for a Casio Exilim EX-FH20. Ordered a NIB one for about £150 last night so I'm just awaiting its arrival. The only things I'm not unhappy with but not overjoyed about is the compromise I've taken in the specs but for everything I want in the resolution I was after I was looking at a Pro setup that costs in the region of £2000-£3500. Seriously.

Anyways, the Casio Exilim EX-FH20 is on its way so I'm hoping I can get some more advice on which PC based software to use. What's good for editing and other Post Production facilities? BTW my laptop is now fixed and is running Windows 7 if that helps.

Vagabond,

interesting. Keep us posted on your findings when you receive the camera, pls.

Vagabond,

interesting. Keep us posted on your findings when you receive the camera, pls.

Camera arrived today while I was at work. Talk about fast shipping. I must've paid for it earlier in the day than I thought! :(

Just been messing about with it and have found the High FPS/Slow Mo settings. The 210fps seems to work quite nicely but I've yet to upload the test footage onto my PC to see what it looks like on a full sized screen. Now I need to find how to access the time lapse function so that I can get some test footage of that too. Maybe I should actually look at the manual... a strange concept for a guy but maybe necessary if I want to figure things out a little faster. :(

any tests you can show us? :)

Nothing RC related at the moment. I've done a few slo-mo tests with the recent snowfall over the last couple of days which look kinda cool. I was hoping to get a Buggy Champ shell finished up so I could do some bashing out in the park but the cold has really slowed down the painting time. If the snow's still around on Sunday I might be able to try some RC filming in it. Wish me luck.