Guest Greg67

How Much Has Everyone Spent In Total On Collection

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been logging all my purchases over the last 5 years in excel, it's a bit scary really. It's interesting to look at as it shows items and bits and pieces I've traded on to reduce my overall expense of each model. Although my accounting is fairly accurate sometimes I've missed some of the expendable items such as Tamiya spray paints etc, they do add up somewhat! Without putting an exact dollar figure up here instead I can tell you I've spent enough to buy a '98 Porsche Boxster 1:1 Makes you think huh?! Just told Kelly and she said "Sell them" What's more important! Maybe I can sell half of them and buy a rough 924? nah! Maybe I'll keep going till I've spent enough to buy a 911 Turbo and then consider doing the conversion!

James

I dont log any of it. I've only been back in this hobby for just over a year but I have a fair approximation of what I've spent and that's not itemising everything.

Put it this way, sometimes I put my RC's on the dining room table, one such day my complete knight hauler and trailer and about three other RC's were on there.

My missus looking at the table says "You realise there's about 4 grand (NZD) sitting on that table? That's a nice holiday...."

She isn't stupid, she could walk into the spare room and I bet she could estimate pretty closely how much is in there, and that's not going through all the boxes

that are full of spare parts, hop-ups and stuff even I dont know what is in there etc etc.

I dont know if she snoops around these forums, but for my own health (and my safety) I wont divulge.

I'd like to think I'd be singing the high notes, and I literally would if she ever found out how much :lol:

I voted what I have spent on my current collection. This doesn't count the many cars and parts that have come and gone or been worn out, especially when I was racing on road more seriously.

No, we don't rule. We just spend; our wife rules, thats why we hide our stuff from the other half :lol:

I finally figured out why boys/men like RC....has engineering works that we put together, part of our XY chromosome DNA in building stuff; the end result is a work of Art, we all like beauty; and it has action, just add batteries. I guess been married for over ten years, beauty and action now come from RC...I hope my wife will not be reading this else (remember they rule) I'll be the couch master and you'll see RC selling on Ebay for $1.00 including shipping. :)

That's probably the funniest thing I ever read on a R/C forum...

hmmm... at least 10k ... of any currency you choose.

I also use a spreadsheet to keep a track of most of my stuff - but mostly for physical location - basement, attic, work, workshop, garage, dishwasher.....

More than some but less than others.

The cars themselves without any of the associated peripherals or parts are insured for $10000 (which is not necessarily what they are worth). I gave up on the spreadsheet a long time ago and no longer have a good idea of the total of what I have spent.

Guest Greg67
That's probably the funniest thing I ever read on a R/C forum...

:lol: Agreed!

A lot of good humored responses here! Bluefoot has so many he has to store them in the dishwasher! lol

After my house fire I easily lost $5000 USD in gear, but 90% of my old pan and F1 cars were on the "Wall of Honor" in my office at work.

Still lost these originals: my Rough Rider gear and spares, a complete Ligier JS9 set up, a complete Brabham BT50, a HeathKit GT40, and a mountain of F103 spares.

All that was left were the steel parts from the above. As fate would have it two of my most prized possesions survived relatively unscathed a NIB box 1/8th McLaren M23

by Entex, the fire went right over it. The other was also an Entex 1/8th scale JPS Lotus 72 that took me 6 months to build. It was in a heavy lexan case and the case melted over the model, but (as if by a miracle) when I lifted the case that had melted onto and around the kit it pulled right off! The car (all styrene) was as pristine as ever!!!!!! I have absolutely no explanation for that quirk of fate!

I've have to say I'm in the over $10K bracket after almost 35 years in the hobby.

P.S. Truth be told gang, I was just happy that my family was o.k. the rest was just "stuff." Difficult, but not impossible to replace. Even found a HeathKit GT40 that I managed to restore. Thanks to Ebay.

Best to all, Guy

I voted in £0-£500 catagory, though it could be more. I don't really keep track because its a hobby I enjoy, so I just spend what I have available to me each month. I don't really drink, don't smoke and I'm single, so have no-one to justify my spending too, and even if I did, I'd say they were for my son as much as me. I have been lucky that most of my purchases have been from members on here, and I'm not adverse to buying someone elses 'wreck' and making it my own with DIY repairs if need be. I have only ever bought 2 new kits in my whole life, a TA-01 Lancia Delta and a Superclod, both of which I got for good prices at the time.

I have spent far more money on other hobbies such as my car or my retro-games console collection. They both owe me thousands, but again I don't have a list of costs as its the enjoyment from them that matters to me.

I’m in the 10K+ bucket too, but like most I counted everything I have ever spent. I was into the hobby for about 5 years when I was younger and then got back into it about 11 years ago when I discovered I could get a NIB original Frog on EBay in 1999. That’s when I got hooked into collecting kits. I have pretty much every kit I wanted when I started collecting. The only things I really buy now are the re-releases.

Like some I keep a spread sheet of most of what I have bought (not so much part trees, or paints, or odd and ends) I do this for two reasons:

1.) Its fun to keep track of how the prices have changed, like what I paid for a NIB Super Shot back in 2001 compared to what it’s worth now.

2.) If something ever happens to me my wife knows what I have and what its worth to help her out. I do have a buddy that knows what my stuff is worth, but it’s kind of peace of mind that she won’t get taken for a ride.

John

Over 25 years in the hobby, I would guess more than a new Kia Spectra, but less than a Mini Cooper.

10k + For us.

Just my HPI Baja 5T alone is near $3500 with all its "extra's". My wife's rampage is around $2800.

Our Tundra and Hilux highlifts were near $1500 each to set up. The two axial scalers were a little cheaper at $1200 each.

Two truck kits and trailers........But the alloy rims look **** nice!

Now the new scalers are starting to add up. But I am now using some of the running gear from the highlifts. Motors, esc, rx's.

Then the new found love for some vintage tamiya's.... We wont go into the cost of them.

At the end of the day my wife is happy for me to buy the toys for each of us. I dont drink and we both stopped smoking over 12 months ago. (worked out smoking was costing us $9500 a year)

So I recon as long as your happy then the cost doesnt matter.

Cheers,

Rob.

Guest Greg67
Over the years, I would say I've actually made money. :D

:lol:

Over the years, I would say I've actually made money. :D

That is not possible because is a hobby. Once you factored in time value of money, inflation, storage cost, the guilt of spending on RC instead on baby forumlas for your new born etc...you actually loose money, bummer. ;) But...if you are into 1:1 hobby a 1936 Bugatti Type 57C Atlantic went for 27million pds, not yen or dollars!!! Right hobby but wrong scale :lol:

Yes it was my Atlantic and I'm going to spend it ALL on Tamiya stuff :lol:

Ring.....riiinnnnng.......Oops just woke up from this dream.