Gazan

Need Help With Wild One Resto

Hi there,

I purchased what I thought was a very tidy Wild One some months back. It is in virtually unused condition. Tonight I have finally begun stripping it down ready for a clean-up and rebuild. I noticed that there was some damage to the area of the cahssis which houses the reciever pack. No-doubt due to battery leakage. I cannot remove the two screws which hold on the rear arm mounts (only on one side thankfully). The 'body' mount which holds in the battery sheered off leaving me with a nightmare. I tried drilling the three remains but I keep slipping plus the plastic starts to melt.

Please see pics below. Anyone have any ideas as it would be criminal to bin an otherwise perfect chassis :lol: .

As you can see from the second pic I have started to make another hole as I kept slipping off the remainder of the mount.

dscf2456.jpg

dscf2457a.jpg

Thanking you in anticipation.

Gary

When I have a destroyed hex head or phillips head, I use a 1mm drill bit and the dremel and turn the head into a slot so I can use a blade screw driver to remove it.

When I have a destroyed hex head or phillips head, I use a 1mm drill bit and the dremel and turn the head into a slot so I can use a blade screw driver to remove it.

Agreed! Or a very small cutting disc on the Dremel (if you can avoid the plastic) to make a slot.

Have you tried WD40 or some other stuff to try and resolve the battery acid?

Thanks, very much for your replies.

Looks like I am going to have to be patient and use a better quality drill bit.

Thanks again.

Gary

Hi Gary.

If you get really stuck I could probably remove the heads of the screws with my milling machine. a flat ended cutter won't wander around on the screw heads like a drill bit will. I'd have to check the capacity of my vice though, to see if it will open wide enough to hold the chassis (I'm assuming I can clamp the chassis in the vice on each end of the batteyr compartment. Of course, if you have access to a pillar drill and a vice you could try it yourself, you just need to find a tool shop that sells slot cutters / end mill cutters.

Sorry bud, have checked the capacity of the vice, and it's only 100m. Checked this against the length of a nicad and the chassis won't fit in it.

Hi Gary.

If you get really stuck I could probably remove the heads of the screws with my milling machine. a flat ended cutter won't wander around on the screw heads like a drill bit will. I'd have to check the capacity of my vice though, to see if it will open wide enough to hold the chassis (I'm assuming I can clamp the chassis in the vice on each end of the batteyr compartment. Of course, if you have access to a pillar drill and a vice you could try it yourself, you just need to find a tool shop that sells slot cutters / end mill cutters.

Sorry bud, have checked the capacity of the vice, and it's only 100m. Checked this against the length of a nicad and the chassis won't fit in it.

Thanks for looking. Very kind of you. The battery acid has made the screws set like stone into the plastic. Cannot budge them despite being able to get the screwdriver on to the heads fairly well. The worst problem is the one that has sheered off underneath. I'l just have to see if anyone at my model car club has somethibg capable of drilling this one with some accuracy. Doing it by hand has so far proved impossible.

Thanks again

Gary

Thanks for looking. Very kind of you. The battery acid has made the screws set like stone into the plastic. Cannot budge them despite being able to get the screwdriver on to the heads fairly well. The worst problem is the one that has sheered off underneath. I'l just have to see if anyone at my model car club has somethibg capable of drilling this one with some accuracy. Doing it by hand has so far proved impossible.

Thanks again

Gary

Hi Gary,

If no one else can help get back to me before you bin it, as I have had some further thoughts on it, and may still be able to help.

Is the Axle component damaged? Why not consider leaving the part attached and clean around it as best you can? You may not gain a whole lot extra by removing the part...

James

Thanks for the suggestion BeetleLover, The axle part is not damaged but always like to strip my cars completely before cleaning etc.. I think that on this occasion I am definately just leaving it in situe. However I still have the bigger problem of the sheered-off thread from the battery cover clip mount. I think I'l concentrate on getting that fixed and as you suggest, ignore the other two screws.

Thanks

Gary