Guest Greg67

Show Your Vintage 3speed

Guest Greg67

I ordered a camera online, so I will post some pictures once it comes in.

But, I was interested what other members rides look like. I know there is the showroom section, but how about a single thread showing them? Am I stupid to start this?

NIB's, complete restorations, broken, parts vehicles, etc!

Guest Greg67

Man, that's a sweet Mountineer BacktoMyRoots!

I have all four vintage three speeds. Mountaineer, finished. Bruiser, almost finished. Blazer, needs resto. Hilux, needs resto.

misc_pics_324-1.jpg

chassis2.jpg

e1e5_1.jpg

IMG_5236.jpg

100_0586.jpg

3-speed3.jpg

Nice bit of chroming there Slimmy !

I happen to have a vintage 3 speed on my bench right now, so here's my work-in-progress Hilux 4x4.

As it came. Body was stripped, but not in total (certainly saved me a lot of work). Was an eBay score (£280 I think it was).

img26801_20052010234548_2.jpg

img26801_20052010234548_3.jpg

I started with the gearbox. Disassembled here and ready for ballraces. There's one brass bushing that I just couldn't get to (right in the middle). So I left it. If I ever work it out or end up with the right tools I'll revisit that.

img26801_20052010234548_4.jpg

I stripped the rest of the body parts myself. Ready for primer here.

I had a forum thread about disolving the glue that was holding in these indicators, but nothing budged them, so I ended up leaving and masking.

img26801_20052010234548_5.jpg

The gearbox, now ballraced other than the one bushing I couldn't get to, stripped off all the old mastic gunk and a quick rub down with wire wool

img26801_20052010234548_6.jpg

First coat of matt black on the body parts.

img26801_20052010234548_7.jpg

In the meantime, the parts I sent off for bead-blasting were returned looking like new (well, almost - a little bit of wire-wool work and some brasso needed yet.

img26801_20052010234548_8.jpg

Start of the re-assembly. I treated it to set of stainless steel screws courtesy of Dannie Boy.

img26801_20052010234548_9.jpg

img26801_20052010234548_10.jpg

img26801_24112009221838_8.jpg

Interior had a bit of work done to it this morning. The driver is now primered in white, but I haven't got the right colours to finish him, so off to eBay I go.

img26801_24112009221838_9.jpg

A few things left to do yet. I need to take the gearbox out again and give it some silicone - a neater job than the last owner did ;). And I've lost my soldering iron so haven't finished up wiring up or the electronics compartment - will probably get around to that this afternoon.

The body shell has had 2 coats of deep metallic red (a Ford colour I really like actually - Regency Red), rubbed down in between each. I think two more coats should do it.

And I bought a NIP windscreen from Renken2000 to replace the one that came with it that was badly cracked.

I'm after a NIP set of tires and a repo wing mirror. Other than that I think it's basically complete and perhaps a few hours work away from finished and being my new 3 speed runner.

CTJ,

to get to the center bearing,you need to use a little puller to get the brass gear off,then a press to get it back on after ballracing/shimming,i used a puller and bench vice to do this job..

Another tip for your Hilux,is to use T Cut on the radio box,it takes nearly all the yellowing out leaving the plastic much clearer.

Great job BTW.

Keep going ;)

A pic of my Original Hilux chassis with new Hilux body and MFC-02 project is coming on nicely.

post-13929-1288537804_thumb.jpg

Hi Twisty,

Thanks for the tips - I figured I might need a puller to remove that gear and get to the last bushing. I might tackle that when I take the box out again to seal it. I also need to ballrace the front axle which I need to push those pins out of to get the ballraces on. I do want it fully ball-raced, so won't give up just yet ;)

The radio box isn't as bad as it looks in the pics. It's not that dark, and actually isn't work T-Cutting really - it's in excellent shape and not as yellow as it appears in the pics.

Nice MFC-02 project! What's the colour/paint you used for the interior seat ? That's exactly the colour I want for the interior of my Countach project.....

Sadly the interior was painted when i got it out of a new built Mountaineer so i can`t help you on that one,sorry.

;)

Those axle pins are a swine IIRC,i bent an axle shaft trying to press the pins out,i ground them off in the end[2nd one] and drilled them out,making some new ones out of stainless rod then pressing them back in.It`s been a good while since i had one apart.

I have all four vintage three speeds. Mountaineer, finished. Bruiser, almost finished. Blazer, needs resto. Hilux, needs resto.

chassis2.jpg

IMG_5236.jpg

You got to provide sun glasses to your viewers or have warning not to stare at it too long. ;) Nice chrone work that is just sick (2 tumbs up), I guess the sun don't set in summer and you have 24/7 of sunlight during the summer to work on your trucks!

Guest Greg67

Unreal stuff guys!! Slimmy, perfect! Casethejoint, top quality restoring job so far! I like the red Ford color on the dash!

Twisty...mfc-02...new hilux body....any chance on a write up on how you are doing that? Pure genius! Please please please a write up!

hear's mine...

flying kermit kruizer yeeee haaaaaaa

and me bruiser..

P1330360.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

and yes they get used and cared for. no expense for them..

Guest Greg67

kermit kruizer looks really nice! Are you restoring the Bruiser?

Guest Greg67

Casethejoint, how did you get the paint so great on the inside cab set-up? It looks flawless!

Heh, thanks but I wouldn't quite call it flawless. Still needs another coat on the seat, but the edges are good.

I think painting (both brush and spray) to be honest is 90% patience and 10% practice/skill.

I use Tamiya masking tape when using a brush, wherever possible. I just stripped it, sprayed it matt as a base. The front colour (which will appear just inside the window glass and I thought would look good) is easy as there's a gap you can run masking tape into, and run a toothpick along it to press it against the edge. The seat edges I also masked, and again used a toothpick to press it flat.

Here's a pic after its first coat, with the masking still on:-

img26801_24112009221838_10.jpg

Guest Greg67
;) Thank you very much for sharing some good tips! Also for the picture with the masking tape on. I would never have guessed the seat was brush painted. Also, that there was a black matt underneath. Next project I am going to try spraying a matt black coat on before painting the car. Like on 1/24 scale models. As it is white plastic usually for those kits.

slimmy, your Mountaineer is to die for, beauty and the BEAST :P , love the Blazer also. My two favorite 3spds.

Here is my Bruiser shelfer

23887977.jpg

img14859220420072319537.jpg

Lights, Camera, No Action ;)

bruiserlitupon1.jpg

curse this thread.

now i have to find me a vintage 3 speed.

great work work though guys, very jealous over here!

I'm with you 30cms!!!

I got to get me a 3speed!

Hopefully I get my hands on a Chevy Blazer soon!!! ;):P

Badboy

Guest Greg67

Tamiya Dan! That is like a rainbow of Bruisers! Nice collection!

Here is my Hilux (camera finally came in!):

hilux1.jpg

Still working on it. Needs some bondo to fill the big hole in the front passenger side hood. I wired up the set of lights for the front that it came with. Took the time to start repainting the grill area yesterday, will do the final touches this weekend. I was inspired by Casethejoint, and trying to use some of his techniques for painting.

I can't seem to get that sticker residue off the hood either. :P Lots of hours on restoring this so far, many to go, but that's the fun of it! I was fortunate enough to get a used one that needs a lot of TLC from a local hobbiest. With everyone's help on here, I've been chugging along with restoration.

;) She really shows her age an mileage...but also how much the previous owner loved to run her!

Guest Greg67

I looked up the link, very nice truck!

I looked up the link, very nice truck!

Thanks, pictures added now, was being a bit of a numpty attaching them :)