RA1028

Avante Coming Soon

Come on ladies put your handbags down and lets just keep this a discussion thread, there are plently of other threads if we want to argue :lol:

i just dont get why people are selling up there original Avantes just because the re re is coming. it dosent de value the car in any which way or form. it is one of the most or if not the most desired Tamiya buggy anyone could own, and that dosent lose value. lm an Avante nut myself having 2 nib and 2 new builds and ive been wanting this for a long time as much as the next guy but in the end its a re re and and not an Original. nothing will top the Original.

i just dont get why people are selling up there original Avantes just because the re re is coming. it dosent de value the car in any which way or form. it is one of the most or if not the most desired Tamiya buggy anyone could own, and that dosent lose value. lm an Avante nut myself having 2 nib and 2 new builds and ive been wanting this for a long time as much as the next guy but in the end its a re re and and not an Original. nothing will top the Original.

I totaly agree, I would imagine that alot of the people who are selling their NIB are looking for quick cash or realy arent true fans and were just in it for the money.

Why do people assume you are arguing just because you do not agree with someone? And then to top it all off you get some p***k post something like the above! That is way off the mark 94eg and is not at all funny.

I agree with rosey on this the picture is not funny and does not belong on this site

Finally I have a chance to own a Avante. After the re-re of the Hotshot I got my old vintage feeling bakc as af I never had before.

I understand that for some colelctors this will be 'disapointing' but on the other hand, a NIB original Avante will keep it's worth.

For me, I am standing in line to pre-order at different sites!!

Finally I have a chance to own a Avante.

Hear, hear!

Banzai Hobby takes preorders (usd 381) at this time. Anyone done business with them?

Here's my reason. I picked up an Avante/Egress for $80 4 weeks ago. I just finished selling it all for $800. Now I'm buying one re-re and putting the rest towards a snowmobile. I think the other people who are selling, for the most part, know that (as do I) the original Avante value will drop significantly once the re-re hits the shelves just like all the other re-re's have done. There will not be as many "buyers" looking for the originals - period.

Come on ladies put your handbags down and lets just keep this a discussion thread, there are plently of other threads if we want to argue :lol:

QFT, who cares about the original vs. re-re. I am just happy Tamiya is listening. I can't wait to see all the new updates.

Pre ordered mine.

Can't wait.

Glad i didn't start on my resto of my Vanquish. There will be heaps of e bay breakers out there on this Re re.

We can see on ebay the vintage kits / parts are taking a hit already, it's hard to debate otherwise.

I love seeing those super rare parts come out of hiding. One can almost built a new chassis for the price of the re-re, lol.

How long before the hobby show?

We can see on ebay the vintage kits / parts are taking a hit already, it's hard to debate otherwise.

I love seeing those super rare parts come out of hiding. One can almost built a new chassis for the price of the re-re, lol.

How long before the hobby show?

The Tamiya Fair 2010 will take place from Nov. 20th-21st. Only 4 days to go!

The handling?

So aside from structural weakeness, was the Avante a good handling buggy?

(i heard it had very limited suspension travel)

I had the Egress and hated the way it handled way too nervous and it did not handle off-road terrain very well!

Weak points..

My friend had the avante and here are the weak parts that he was always breaking

-Front plastic uprights were the ball hex attaches(same weak point on my egress)

-Center diff used to always loosen

-rear traling arm(bottom were the shock attaches)

-Chassis motor side were the trailling arm attaches to the chassis.(snaps off)

The handling?

So aside from structural weakeness, was the Avante a good handling buggy?

(i heard it had very limited suspension travel)

nope, handles **** except on superflat tracks

front shocks are so laid down, its like enough leverage to rebound back up

I had the Egress and hated the way it handled way too nervous and it did not handle off-road terrain very well!

keep the power on constantly... only liftoff or brake in corners if you're after a handbrake turn

More stable than an SWB Avante still.

Weak points..

My friend had the avante and here are the weak parts that he was always breaking

-Front plastic uprights were the ball hex attaches(same weak point on my egress)

-Center diff used to always loosen

-rear traling arm(bottom were the shock attaches)

-Chassis motor side were the trailling arm attaches to the chassis.(snaps off)

yup

yup

yup &

yup

Ahh a new batch of suckers soon to suffer these vintage maladies ;)

OK, there are now individuals preselling spare parts on Ebay!

OK, there are now individuals preselling spare parts on Ebay!

I cant see any "Pre-selling" on ebay?.

If they are doing that they are stupid, it will likely end in either lots of negative feedback for sellers and/or buyers getting ripped off, as people are not going to wait 3 months for parts are they?, bit like the sellers of the Playstation game Gran Turismo 5, pre-selling it for last 6 months and launch date keeps getting pushed back, this leaves the buyer with absolutely NO way to get their money back as after 60 days you cant file a paypal claim and after 90 days you cannot leave negative feedback, so it leaves a lot of people with no game, no refund, no ability to warn others (by which time its too late) and some less admirable sellers will have a field day ripping people off (which is and has already been happening)

I have NEVER and will NEVER "Pre-order" anything in my life, when its released i will buy certain items (including some Avante bits likely and definately GT5 lol), until then i sit on my hands and keep away from my keyboard.

Good luck to those thinking of doing it.

Ahh a new batch of suckers soon to suffer these vintage maladies ;)

Not me. When mine is built it will hit the shelf and stay there for eternity. For all of the nice little tweaks the re-re is getting you just know that it will still be almost as hopeless as the original. I don't have the heart (or the wallet) to thrash the living daylights out of a $400 piece of R/C art.

The idea that there's an office somewhere deep inside Tamiya headquarters with some guys hunched over their computer terminals trawling eBay and through RC forums to see how much one collector is selling a vintage NIB to another collector for is an image I find very funny.

Olly, I can only assume then that you have never been employed in the manufacturing industry. Years ago I worked for Black & Decker, the power tool manufacturer, in the R&D department and one of the things I did on a constant basis was to monitor what was happening in our own market and work in conjuction with the Marketing guys to keep pace/get one over the competition. Apart from working on our own innovation I regularly would go to DIY stores and buy every model of the competition's stuff...lawnmowers, hedgeclippers, chainsaws, you name it. I would then get them back and strip them to see what they were coming up with. Plagiarism is rife within the manufacturing industry, so long as there are ways around patents.

My point is that Rosey is correct, there will be a guy or group of people who have been given the job of monitoring the vintage R/C scene and report back to the R&D/Marketing department. Of course this won't be his/her only job, infact it probably wont even be their main job...just something else that they have to do within their job role.

I don't think I buy the second part about Tamiya wanting a "piece of the pie" either.

Why would they not want to make easy money from the re-issuing of old models if the market was there for it? Like it or not, all of these people making crazy money on vintage stuff will be seen as the competition. The 1st major re-release of the "golden oldies", The Hornet, came in 2004 when the vintage market had been buzzing for a good 2 or 3 years. They will have watched that carefully and noticed that, rather than it being a flash in the pan, a new market was emerging of 30 somethings who were getting back into the hobby, wanted to relive their teenage years and buy the cars they could probably never afford back in the day.

You only have to look at how this club has grown within the last 5 years to imagine how the fervour for more re-releases has grown with it. When I joined in 2004 there had been less than 5000 members within the space of 3 years. Over the next 5 that has grown to 30,000. And you can bet that in amongst those are a lot of people who were around in the hobby 25 years ago.

If Tamiya's motivation for choosing a model to rerelease was based on the price a vintage NIB was achieving (as researched by the dedicated department) then their very first rerelease would surely have been an SRB followed by a Blazing Blazer then an Avante and so on and so on. Heck, if Tamiya so concerned with how much vintage NIBs are going for amongst the collectors then why not just rerelease the entire first 100 and have the whole pie for themselves?

It's a reasonable question to ask and the answer, IMO, is that they took tentative steps into the re-re market, brought back the cheapies first which sold well, then moved onto the intermediate stuff which also sold well and then decided to go full pelt and bring back the most exotic and unlikely stuff...which is where we are now.

They still have to be carefull though as just relaunching every model from the first 100 would make them seem very much like a company resting on old laurels, which is why the re-releases have been hand picked as those which were the most popular back in the day and would be fairly feasible to do at little cost. Protecting the brand will be of the utmost concern to them.

All very valid points Wandy, have to agree with you there, most companies R&D would involve buying competitors items, stripping/checking them making your own improvements/changes (to better sales, cheapen manufacturing costs and to get round copyright lol) then release your own version.

The Fact that tamiya keep re-releasing makes you think they HAVE indeed done their research and do watch the forums, not sure how anyone could possibly disagree really (unless they blindly just thought, hey lets do some re-re's, there may be no market for them but its a laugh eh?, cant see it tho can you LMAO.)

Interesting is that if you search tamiyausa.com for Avante it does not yet say re-release...

maybe tamiya do the rereleases, because like us, they love the old cars too.

i am sure they are proud of their past, and what better way to celebrate it.

maybe it isn't all about money. maybe they just like to "toot their own horn" sometimes!

a lot of maybes though.

Not me. When mine is built it will hit the shelf and stay there for eternity. For all of the nice little tweaks the re-re is getting you just know that it will still be almost as hopeless as the original. I don't have the heart (or the wallet) to thrash the living daylights out of a $400 piece of R/C art.

I will I can not wait too! If the plastics are better the car shouldnt break as much, and tracks are alot smoother these days so the limited suspension wont be such an hinderence. I dont plan on racing, I havent in years but itll be fun to put the Avante through its pace knowing that replacements parts are just an internet order away :lol:

but itll be fun to put the Avante through its pace knowing that replacements parts are just an internet order away :lol:

that is the huge benefit of this re release. let the good times roll!

PS

Plus I still do not understand what made the car handle THAT bad, now I never realy raced that seriously even as a kid I just enjoyed running what I had built with my own two (at the time little hands) and the look of that sexy car running was a hoot. If you look at todays RC cars the Avante was one of if not the first to run: A mid ship motor inline with the chassis, center ball diff, and dual deck composite chassis. Was it the shot wheel base? The gear diffs? I tell you what though, I am hoping someone puts up the dual ball diff hop up soon on the bay because that is a deffinite must!