RA1028

Avante Coming Soon

Andy if you put the F60 and others on hold, buy yourself a second Avante and follow the advice of James you'll have a set of slicks for sure in half the time.........actually you could even run your shelfer, gently and get the same end result :huh:

No can do matey, I need a F60 and Tundra in my life ASAP. What I am thinking is to get a lightly used Avante once the commotion has died down and the impulse buying, non hardcore average Joe looks to get rid after the novelty has worn off.

here's a uk shop selling them (well on pre order)

http://www.emodels.co.uk/plastic-kits/tami...89-p-25764.html

UK price is pretty high compared to the rest of the world, but if you are not too far from Stoke-on-Trent you can go down and pick one up (once they are in stock, of course!)

i like the way it says reduced from 499 , as to make out 450 is cheap ...lol

i like the way it says reduced from 499 , as to make out 450 is cheap ...lol

I'm wondering if 2011 Avante is already turning out to be the flop it was in 1988. Bad timing and too expensive. Many of us will be buying one, eventually. But two? Probably not. The funds for many of us are simply not there.

I still don't buy that a carbon chassis has come down in manufacturing costs compared to FRP. Carbon fiber anything has always been costly to manufacture, right down to the fiber filament. I'm willing to bet that if Tamiya went with the original FRP they could have shaved off $30-40 dollars. As beautiful as it is, we didn't really need a "gilded" Avante.

I'm wondering if 2011 Avante is already turning out to be the flop it was in 1988. Bad timing and too expensive. Many of us will be buying one, eventually. But two? Probably not. The funds for many of us are simply not there.

I still don't buy that a carbon chassis has come down in manufacturing costs compared to FRP. Carbon fiber anything has always been costly to manufacture, right down to the fiber filament. I'm willing to bet that if Tamiya went with the original FRP they could have shaved off $30-40 dollars. As beautiful as it is, we didn't really need a "gilded" Avante.

Generally R/C is a hobby is expensive. It's not a mass market item, there's an intended number of Avante will be made, and Tamiya probably did their home work and know exactly what they are getting themselves into. The only thing they couldn't have predicted was probably the Japanese YEN shooing way up causing a slight headache but honestly, the people who are looking forward to this chassis will buy it.

Generally R/C is a hobby is expensive. It's not a mass market item, there's an intended number of Avante will be made, and Tamiya probably did their home work and know exactly what they are getting themselves into. The only thing they couldn't have predicted was probably the Japanese YEN shooing way up causing a slight headache but honestly, the people who are looking forward to this chassis will buy it.

If you think RC is an expensive hobby you've never tried almost any other gear-oriented hobby out there.

I personally know:

* A guy with a £2000 rear wheel for his bicycle

* A guy who spends £20 000 on new sails for his boat every year. Plus recently £300 000+ on a new sailboat because he crashed the old one and a repaired sailboat just isn't competitive. And he competes purely as a hobby; no cash prices or anything valuable to win.

* People who have skiing clothes well above £1000 + the skis, helmet, boots etc.

And that's not even getting into what any motor powered sport will cost you.

If you think RC is an expensive hobby you've never tried almost any other gear-oriented hobby out there.

I personally know:

* A guy who spends £20 000 on new sails for his boat every year. Plus recently £300 000+ on a new sailboat because he crashed the old one and a repaired sailboat just isn't competitive. And he competes purely as a hobby; no cash prices or anything valuable to win.

* People who have skiing clothes well above £1000 + the skis, helmet, boots etc.

exactly, so how's the price of the Avante will effect the people buying them?

carnt see how a few tiny peices of carbon fibre can bump the price up, i think it looks alot better than the old one apart from the stickers ie no spacetech

but when you put into the mix the radio gear your looking at no change out of 550 pounds .. weather you spend thousands on other bits or not is irrelevant , ive spent 5500 thousand once in one go on 2 snakes for my snake breeding hobby but i still think 450 is dear !!

exactly, so how's the price of the Avante will effect the people buying them?

The price will have an affect on people buying them. I can only speak for myself but for me what Pigme is saying is right - it is prohibitively expensive.

When this was announced I thought to myself that I would like to buy one but at the price that has been announced I have changed my mind and won't be getting one, so that's an affect right there.

I'd be interested to hear from people who originally announced that they'll "definitely be buying one or three" to see if they have revised their plans.

(And yes, I know about buying from abroad, I am well experienced in buying from the Far East but I still won't be getting one.)

The price will have an affect on people buying them. I can only speak for myself but for me what Pigme is saying is right - it is prohibitively expensive.

When this was announced I thought to myself that I would like to buy one but at the price that has been announced I have changed my mind and won't be getting one, so that's an affect right there.

I'd be interested to hear from people who originally announced that they'll "definitely be buying one or three" to see if they have revised their plans.

(And yes, I know about buying from abroad, I am well experienced in buying from the Far East but I still won't be getting one.)

I will still be buying 2 kits as per my pre-order ,I am madly saving and staying away from ebay <_< .

My other half already knows the price in fact I have inflated it a bit so its not such a shock when I get the actual bill .

Stuart.

I'm still trying, seemingly in vain, to save enough money so that I can afford the one kit. It is expensive, I haven't ever spent that kind of money on a kit, but it isn't that that's stopping me. I've just come back from hols and I'm kinda low on funds because of it, the fridge is empty so I need to buy food, the 1/1 is low on gas so funds need to go to that otherwise I won't be able to get to work and I don't get paid for a couple more weeks. Then there's no guarantee that I'll be paid enough to afford this lovely looking kit. My only hope at this moment is to organise my RCs and sell off what I can (again <_< ) before I miss out on yet another new release kit that I really want.

I'm still trying, seemingly in vain, to save enough money so that I can afford the one kit. It is expensive, I haven't ever spent that kind of money on a kit, but it isn't that that's stopping me. I've just come back from hols and I'm kinda low on funds because of it, the fridge is empty so I need to buy food, the 1/1 is low on gas so funds need to go to that otherwise I won't be able to get to work and I don't get paid for a couple more weeks. Then there's no guarantee that I'll be paid enough to afford this lovely looking kit. My only hope at this moment is to organise my RCs and sell off what I can (again ;) ) before I miss out on yet another new release kit that I really want.

Don't worry, I don't think it will be discontinued in a few months after it's release. You can have a look at some great build threads first I think, lovely action pictures and relive it yourself as soon as the funds are sufficient to safely buy one <_<

I will still be buying 2 kits as per my pre-order ,I am madly saving and staying away from ebay <_< .

My other half already knows the price in fact I have inflated it a bit so its not such a shock when I get the actual bill .

Stuart.

is this the uk or us price you are on about?

Stuart.

The poster of that is in Australia, although artificially inflating the price to the missus works in most currencies

I'm still trying, seemingly in vain, to save enough money so that I can afford the one kit. It is expensive, I haven't ever spent that kind of money on a kit, but it isn't that that's stopping me. I've just come back from hols and I'm kinda low on funds because of it, the fridge is empty so I need to buy food, the 1/1 is low on gas so funds need to go to that otherwise I won't be able to get to work and I don't get paid for a couple more weeks. Then there's no guarantee that I'll be paid enough to afford this lovely looking kit. My only hope at this moment is to organise my RCs and sell off what I can (again <_< ) before I miss out on yet another new release kit that I really want.

That sums up my situation entirely. Its a shame Tamiya have chosen one of their most sought after and certainly most expensive vintage buggy re-releases yet in the darkest depths of such a bad economic climate. Had this been released at the time of the Hotshot re-re it might have done better.

Prices in the RC car market seem to have changed hugely since I was much more active here a few years ago. The other day I was on Ebay having a look for a cheap kit to build to while away these long winter nights and long gone are the days when you could get a very capable little buggy like the Dirt Thrasher NIB for 50 quid. If the Avante is still being sold by this summer and perhaps the price drops to below the £300 mark then I'll get one but there's no way I can afford one until then.

I personally know:

But its all relative though. The value of money often works inversely, the less money you have the more value you place on it. The sort of person that has 300 grand to buy a new sailboat because he crashed his last one probably thinks nothing of spending that sort of money. The same applies in relative terms right the way down the scale of things. Again, the sort of person that thinks nothing of spending 2 grand on a bike wheel obviously has 2 grand laying around that can't be spent on anything better.

Of course the RC market has its fair share of people who think nothing of spending 2 grand on a vintage NIB kit but I think for an awful lot of us £400 or so is a LOT of money to part with for a 1/10th electric buggy kit. £400 seems like a vast sum of money to me at the moment.

The poster of that is in Australia, although artificially inflating the price to the missus works in most currencies

Thanks Andy <_<

Yes I am in Australia so if anything the kit will cost a bit more if anything as the UK Pound and US Dollar are better than ours ,although having said that we have reached parity against the greenback in recent weeks ,but that will not last as half our country are suffering floods on an epic scale at the moment which has affected our dollar's value .

Perhaps I should have gotten into boats as a hobby seems only fitting with the current crisis.

I still expect to pay about AUD $850.00- $900.00 + postage for the 2 kits I pre-ordered or even a tad more that is what I have said to the other half anyway.

Can't really put a price on love .

Stuart.

Can't really put a price on love .

That is the bottom line.

300 plus is a lot of money for an rc kit, but hey, it is an avante! Kinda special

That is the bottom line.

300 plus is a lot of money for an rc kit, but hey, it is an avante! Kinda special

Strangely enough you will see hundreds of 300 plus chassis on r/c tracks every week, it's still cheaper than most high end touring cars and 4wd buggies.

Strangely enough you will see hundreds of 300 plus chassis on r/c tracks every week, it's still cheaper than most high end touring cars and 4wd buggies.

Granted, but those are racing machines. I don't think anyone will be buying the Avante with the intention of dominating their local track scene, except possibly in the looks department.

When I said earlier that £450+ was too expensive for me I suppose what I meant was thats it's too expensive for me to justify spending on one machine, especially one that just looks nice but won't actually be competitive.

I'd spend £450+ on RC equipment but not on that particular model.

The debate on whether it is too expensive it circular anyway because every TC member will be in a different boat. To some the cost will be hideous and to some it will be a snip.

That sums up my situation entirely. Its a shame Tamiya have chosen one of their most sought after and certainly most expensive vintage buggy re-releases yet in the darkest depths of such a bad economic climate. Had this been released at the time of the Hotshot re-re it might have done better.

Prices in the RC car market seem to have changed hugely since I was much more active here a few years ago. The other day I was on Ebay having a look for a cheap kit to build to while away these long winter nights and long gone are the days when you could get a very capable little buggy like the Dirt Thrasher NIB for 50 quid. If the Avante is still being sold by this summer and perhaps the price drops to below the £300 mark then I'll get one but there's no way I can afford one until then.

But its all relative though. The value of money often works inversely, the less money you have the more value you place on it. The sort of person that has 300 grand to buy a new sailboat because he crashed his last one probably thinks nothing of spending that sort of money. The same applies in relative terms right the way down the scale of things. Again, the sort of person that thinks nothing of spending 2 grand on a bike wheel obviously has 2 grand laying around that can't be spent on anything better.

Of course the RC market has its fair share of people who think nothing of spending 2 grand on a vintage NIB kit but I think for an awful lot of us £400 or so is a LOT of money to part with for a 1/10th electric buggy kit. £400 seems like a vast sum of money to me at the moment.

I agree, £400 is an awful lot of money for a 4x4 buggy, especially when you can something like a full option king tiger for not much more, and look at how much more stuff is squeezed into the KT kit. I'd like one, but won't be buying one unless I can get it for less than £300. At the end of the day £300-400 is a lot for a car, that you can probably build in about 10-15 hours and probably drives worse than many of tamiyas more modern 4x4 offerings. At least if you spend that kind of cash on a tank, it takes weeks to build and paint. I can understand someone paying that and more for an original, even to sit on a shelf, but it is rather expensive for something that is 'just' a re-release, not enough rarity value to keep on the shelf, and too expensive to indulge in serious bashing or 'Death by brushless'. I just don't see how you can justify the cost based on what you get in the box.

The economic climate in the UK isn't helping either. Every time I fill the car with fuel it costs me at least a 'grasshopper', another couple of years and it'll probably be closer to a 'hotshot'. Road Tax is about a 'TXT-1'. Don't forget we've got the olympics to pay for next year and the taxmax does love to bash the motorist. :lol:

I agree, £400 is an awful lot of money for a 4x4 buggy, especially when you can something like a full option king tiger for not much more, and look at how much more stuff is squeezed into the KT kit. I'd like one, but won't be buying one unless I can get it for less than £300. At the end of the day £300-400 is a lot for a car, that you can probably build in about 10-15 hours and probably drives worse than many of tamiyas more modern 4x4 offerings. At least if you spend that kind of cash on a tank, it takes weeks to build and paint. I can understand someone paying that and more for an original, even to sit on a shelf, but it is rather expensive for something that is 'just' a re-release, not enough rarity value to keep on the shelf, and too expensive to indulge in serious bashing or 'Death by brushless'. I just don't see how you can justify the cost based on what you get in the box.

It's all down to the individual, but I see exactly where you're coming from - £400 on a copy that's not really up to the job it was intended for originally, let alone nowadays, does seem a bit mad.

Lot of money for an ornament, especially a fake :lol:

Mind you, common sense and logic are relatively new to me, I've had my share of expensive ornaments before now.

Sold a few of my NIB in prep for this kit :lol: I owned one when I was 18ish and it always broke the front A arms but I still cant wait to have another one :D Only aobut 24 days to go!!

Granted, but those are racing machines. I don't think anyone will be buying the Avante with the intention of dominating their local track scene, except possibly in the looks department.

When I said earlier that £450+ was too expensive for me I suppose what I meant was thats it's too expensive for me to justify spending on one machine, especially one that just looks nice but won't actually be competitive.

I'd spend £450+ on RC equipment but not on that particular model.

The debate on whether it is too expensive it circular anyway because every TC member will be in a different boat. To some the cost will be hideous and to some it will be a snip.

Exactly.

We can't fault Tamiya entirely, If the Avante was re-released ~3 years ago the retail price would probably be around $300+. Regardless, the Avante is a must buy for many of us, and I will be waiting for early summer to get one. I don't think production will last less than a full year, so there is no rush. More than a year? Probably not because they would have to change the sticker on the motor to "2012" LOL.