RA1028

Avante Coming Soon

Just finished mine. I went with a non box art color. It's Cobalt Blue, but it color shifts anywhere between almost white to a blueish purple. Pics don't do it justice. I am so happy with this car. Enjoy the pics.

DSCN0769.jpg

DSCN0768.jpg

DSCN0767.jpg

DSCN0771.jpg

DSCN0763.jpg

DSCN0758.jpg

Do it! I am a firm believer that the more pics you post the better!

Just finished mine. I went with a non box art color. It's Cobalt Blue, but it color shifts anywhere between almost white to a blueish purple. Pics don't do it justice. I am so happy with this car. Enjoy the pics.

that.looks.awesome!

Well done man, nice touch.

stick a 4.5 in there needs to hit 80hm/h :blink:

---------------

side note proving how glass like these cars are, i got a avante 2001 parts car, this car was raced i'm guessing 15 years ago based on the age of the running gear. car looked ok on the surface. had a broken rear C3 parts that shattered right on the Step screw like you expect.

when i was playing with the tires something was not right, so i just tore the entire thing down since it was parts.

A- Parts busted into 4 pieces held together by the chassis plates.

B- parts 2,4 cracked, 5,6 blown into pieces inside the gear case.

H- parts 2-4, all teeth broken off, 5,7 melted together, I've seen that before.

C 1 and 2 amazingly intacted! and the uprights undamaged.

basically the car took a heavy nose impact like you expect with this chassis, on landing A parts gave out, which blew up B parts and took out H parts, making the avante 2001 into a rwd buggy at that point.

well at least i got the parts i was after off of it. as i expected J and K parts were worn and had zero damage, tamiya used a more rubberized plastic there.

this type of damage on a avante suspension would of absolutely annihilated the front end with parts flying all over.

careful on the triple and table top jumps ;)

I think you would destroy the small diff gears then!

Well, i had to get one to find out what all this "Avante-Hype" is all about, so i bought one from a nice chap in Germany, and built it up and took it for a spin and.........

I still don´t get it????.......

It´s an interesting design, but what else? I never had one when they were "new" so I got it with a bit of excitement, and hope to get a "weee-experience" but it never came?

Guess it just has to land on one of the shelves next to the other "weee, but-still-not-THAT-weee" cars.. :)

Michael

It´s an interesting design, but what else?

Nothing really, that's it. But it is such an iconic design that it makes it worthwhile for many people, myself included.

You get neither zip nor zap with the Avante; you can however get an awful lot of nostalgic pleasure.

Yeah, definitely no zip nor zap, lol.. But yes, there is a certain amount of nostalgia to it, but i got that from building other re-re´s too like Frog, Grasshopper, Hotshot and Boomerang, and i have to admit, i had expected more from the build itself, as i had seen people calling it an "advanced build" from time to time, and surely, it´s more advanced than a Grasshopper, but anyway, now it´s here, it´s built and it does have a bit of strange "spaceship" to it, kinda like when i bought my very first Tamiya 4x4 buggy "Dirt Thrasher" which also featured the "UV protected" canopy-type racing body, and back then, i also thought: "What has gone wrong with the design of this body?", being used to Holiday Buggys and so on..

Anyway, back in the early 90´s i had a Vanquish which i REALLY beat the life out of, and compared to the Beetle-bodied Grasshopper II´s we were running back then, it was a big difference indeed!.

Personally, i get much more enjoyment from running my Wild One, the FAV and the other oldtimers, so i guess the Avante will have to take a place on the shelf next to the Hotshot and the Boomerang for now, and who knows, perhaps one day it will get outside again, and go for a spin. :)

Maybe it´s just me, but i find more thrill and fun in the old 2wd designs. :) At least when it comes to running. :)

Still, as always, it was a pleasure to build it, but Tamiya-kits are always nice to build i think. (Only i found it was missing 2 screws? The short, very flatheaded ones to put in the 2 front holes of the rear shock tower aluminum brackets? Anyone else missing those?)

Cheers..

Michael

...and i have to admit, i had expected more from the build itself, as i had seen people calling it an "advanced build" from time to time, and surely

It's a bit of a pity to hear that, even though I wasn't expecting a whole lot different to the Egress.

Then, I suppose I get that with most cars now that I've built 20 or so... that's why I'm now looking into trucks... but the Avante is in the post, on its way.

It's a shame you didn't get as big a kick out of this kit as you were hoping. For me it was a fairly intricate build and I kinda dug how complicated it was. I don't have any 4WD off roaders and have thought about getting one for ages. The only 4WD model I ever had was a Marui Ninja which I sold many moons ago (which I kinda regret nowadays) so late last year I'd decided on building an Avante from parts, which would've been very expensive. When this re-re was announced I thought I'd better wait for it and I'm glad I did. It's been a lovely build and I'm just pleased as punch with the way it all looks. That being said, I still haven't run it because it looks so nice that I'm afraid of ruining it! I'm sure I'll get over that one though. :)

The car is a snap shot in time. A time where over engineering didn't create results! LOL All kidding aside, it's a great looking model that performs ok. It's a little on the fragile side, but it represents out of the box thinking for the time. Like many, I never had one when it came out but raced against them. The appeal for me is the design. I think it is probably the best looking RC I have and I mean that with both the body on and off. The night I finished mine, I think I just stared at it for an hour. I run mine, nothing crazy, but I'm not afraid to take jumps and push it a bit. I run it with Proline Dirt Hawgs and it drives well on most terrain. As far as being an advanced build, it's a Tamiya. They are all joys to build and go together smooth as butter. It just has more steps than say a Brat that took me 2 hours to build.

Well, i had to get one to find out what all this "Avante-Hype" is all about, so i bought one from a nice chap in Germany, and built it up and took it for a spin and.........

I still don´t get it????.......

It´s an interesting design, but what else? I never had one when they were "new" so I got it with a bit of excitement, and hope to get a "weee-experience" but it never came?

Guess it just has to land on one of the shelves next to the other "weee, but-still-not-THAT-weee" cars.. :)

Michael

Lower your expectations. :)

:) Well, i guess you are right, and the "thing" about the Avante is more the "iconic" status it has achieved, kinda like the old 3-speed Toyota Hilux and the Sand Scorcher, which are also quite nice, but not *fantastic* runners either.. However, i must admit that running SRB´s and other 2wd-cars gives me more "satisfaction" than running 4x4´s, perhaps because they demand more caution when running on loose surfaces to keep them from spinning out?

Guess i´m more a rear-wheel-drive guy than a 4x4 guy, lol. ;) I also prefer running my Associated B4 with a Nosram 5 turn brushless motor instead of my Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 with similar setup, and i guess it´s simply because it demands more attention when running..

Perhaps i should take the Avante to the beach at some point, and give it another go there?

Anyway, thanks for your inputs, guys. Inputs like these gives a debate a lot of interesting aspects. :) Now i will go and paint the tyre lettering on the Avante .. In a colour to match the stickers, because, boring as i may be, i have painted it boxart... :)

Cheers..

Michael

It's a shame you didn't get as big a kick out of this kit as you were hoping. For me it was a fairly intricate build and I kinda dug how complicated it was. I don't have any 4WD off roaders and have thought about getting one for ages. The only 4WD model I ever had was a Marui Ninja which I sold many moons ago (which I kinda regret nowadays) so late last year I'd decided on building an Avante from parts, which would've been very expensive. When this re-re was announced I thought I'd better wait for it and I'm glad I did. It's been a lovely build and I'm just pleased as punch with the way it all looks. That being said, I still haven't run it because it looks so nice that I'm afraid of ruining it! I'm sure I'll get over that one though. :)

I had also a Marui Ninja and I liked the car except for the drivetrain: the plastic diffgears were worthless.

i have a set, VERY heavy, VERY heavy, have to say it twice, if you use the alumium rims with the plastic cam locks its better,

i tried them found them to only be good for display and swapped back to the original yellow plastic and black plastic cams.

very pretty not functional due to weight.

Ok, so they are pointless if it's a runner.

Ok, so they are pointless if it's a runner.

What with the RE-re F parts are cheap now anyway.

It is still a great car, good looking and good runner. Ok, it might be not as competitive as todays competition-buggies but it is great to run.

My Avante is now coated in a perfect thin film of dust from a fun bash today with a friend in the gravel.

It shoots up superb rooster-tails in gravel with that TZ motor.

Don't put your Avantes in the display cases peoples.........run 'em!!!

I haven't broken mine yet, whereas I had my TXT-1 out again today and broke it yet again! No jumps for the TXT-1 but one of the ball ends tore out of the top of the front axle casing just from hammering around in the dust.........I'm really going to have to fork out for those alloy axles for the TXT-1 sometime.

Thankfully my Avante holds up, and has even survived the wifes driving this evening, although one of our cats isn't so happy as she reversed into him at speed!

Thankfully my Avante holds up, and has even survived the wifes driving this evening, although one of our cats isn't so happy as she reversed into him at speed!

MeeeOOOW!

Hi guys a question... front and rear driveshaft of the new 2011 Avante fit in the old one and Egress?