Sign in to follow this  
stulec52

Re-Releases

All this talk lately about the possible re-issue of som eof the oldies we all love has got me thinking.

For me, if I heard Tamiya were to bring out a Sand Scorcher again would pretty much kill off my interest in collecting the oldies. I mean what would be the point of hunting all over the world for a good clean old car when you can just go down your local model shop and buy one?

That said though they certainly could use some of the ideas of the old cars and incorporate them in the new cars, that would be great to see, but for me half the fun is trying to find the cars in the first place and doing a deal to get them....

Time will tell I guess.... What do others think?

id='Verdana'>

Stu in Scotland

logo_member2.gif

logo_fin.gif

I am new to this forum and dont want to be too contentious but...

I see what you mean, but when the prices of some of the oldies like the 959/ss/rr etc are getting so high on ebay, then the thought of a re-release appeals.

Bearing in mind the re-releases would probably be old-style bodies on top of modern chassis (like the wild willy 2 or lancia) then there will still be the satisfaction of finding the old ones.

For those out there who want to collect old NIBs, the challenge remains the same but prices may come down.

For those out there who love building and driving them (me included) you could more easily buy an old one for less cash and enjoy it without the financial hit... or alternatively enjoy a classic shape on a modern (an lets be honest probably superior driving) chassis.

The other thing I would love to see is re-released cars but in different formats... how about the 959/ss/rr in 1/8th on a modified trx??? i personally would love it.

Noel

njm

Noel,

Hi and welcome!!

If you are after a couple of specific oldies, and are not in a big hurry, then just wait until about January time next year. E-Bay prices do this every year (at least since I've been watching from 1999) Head up and up before Christmas, then afterwards level off and actually go back down again.

And I don't like the idea of releasing say a Sand Scorcher 2 on an 04 chassis, what's the point?

But I do like the idea of new cars inspired by old ideas...

id='Verdana'>

Stu in Scotland

logo_member2.gif

logo_fin.gif

Thanks for the advice. I reckon I will sit tight and watch.

Agree with you on the SS on a TA04 chassis... i personally would not want one, but there are enough out there who would and at least it would take some of the heat off the original so you could buy yours cheaper.

Fingers crossed they do a large 959!

Noel

njm

I wouldn't buy an exact replica rerelease of a Sand Scorcher. I mean, except for the water-tightness of it, it's not that special. It would be very expensive and vastly underperform the cars of today. I appreciate the old cars for what they were able to do 20 years ago. Doing it again is not that impressive. Although, I have a Rough Rider which diminishes the effect the SS has on me.

I think the Blitzer Beetle was a re release of the Sand Scorcher using a modern (at the time) chassis. It's on my list to buy before they are gone.

On the other hand, I'd buy a rerelease of a 3-speed. Those are unique. Shifting gears with a 3-channel remote is uncommon today. You could argue that I should buy an e-maxx (3 channel radio, 2 speed tranny) and you'd have a good argument, but I also like the scale model detail of the 3-speeds which emaxx lacks. And I never had (or even saw) one, so there is the additional mystique for me.

I think you have just hit it on the heaad !

the Mystique

The 3 speeds ain't that great to use standard (my opinion....)

But they do look cool.

I'm glad technology moves forward and not back!!!

id='Verdana'>

Stu in Scotland

logo_member2.gif

logo_fin.gif

I have amongst others an E-max and acces to a TXT (LHS). For outright fun very few trucks (new or vintage) beat them but when it comes to the reason why Im into collecting esp the 3speeders, ss, RR, XLTs, is the ultimate scale looks and realism. Thus a rerelease (plastic) would perhaps give you a chance to have a runner/basher but would never be the same as the original releases.

Jakes

logo_member2.gif

Of all the things I Lost - I miss my Mind the most

Theo,

I have Losi (and Associated) cars is to be competitive at my club

The 4 things I have the most fun with in this hobby, in no particular order are:

Racing. I love the buzz of it, like to be able to overtake cars, race closely, and think about setups.

Collecting. I like the thrill of the hunt, getting the item through the door is becoming less of a buzz somehow, but the chase still excites me.

Rebuilding. I enjoy tearing stuff to pieces and trying to put it all together again, usually better than when I took it apart.

Truckin. Nothing better than trying to get my crazy TXT to climb the steepest hill I can find, usually egged on by several friends.

and who cares about scale speed??? Not me.

Stu in Scotland

logo_member2.gif

logo_fin.gif

Stu, all 4 are great! But scale climbing with a 3 speed, seeing the leaf springs working slow, stucking in 2nd gear and then switching to 4WD, being pulled by a friends Mounty, which switches on its light cause its getting dark, are also very fun.

Speed is fun I admit, but I enjoy also realism, actually I preffer it, but thats just a personal choice, not that the others are inferior..

Cheers mate

tttlogo.gif

http://www.vintagetamiyarc.com/