Sign in to follow this  
rc-martin

Sand Scorcher paint probs

icon_smile_angry.gifI can't beleive it. Just got round to painting my project SS (for the second time) first try i used Humbrol spray enamel and applyed it to thick, it refused to dry out, so three months later after stipping it again it was ready for painting again. This time i used Tamiya spray paint and Tamiya masking tape as well. I painted the shell white about two weeks ago and the paint dried great with a good glossy finish, i thought i was on to a winner. Masked the car up on Sunday afternoon, sprayed it monday and removed the tape Tuesday morning. Wow, it looked great...... but hold on, whats that mark there? and there? and there? and there??? something in the masking tape has reacted with the white paint and it looks a pig. I'm well pi**ed!!! how can Tamiya paint not mix with Tamiya tape? Looks like its back to the brake fluid again.icon_smile_angry.gif

You seem to have to have left the masking tape on for too long, I never leave mine on for more than a couple of hours max.

yeah, looks like something has happened with the masking tape.

when i masked something up,i left it on for a few days, and when i came to peel it off, all the glue from the tape was on the paint still.

are you sure the paint has reacted?

u sure it isnt just the glue from the back of the tape?

try some white spirit on with a rag.

if it rubs off then its just glue.

cheers

Joe

youve made me worried now..... i have just put the red coat of paint om my scorcher for the yellow/red scheme, and have masked the yellow up......hope it doesnt *** up.

Another thing to make sure of is that the masking tape you use is "fresh". Last weekend I did a replica Aeromax for a guy (Make me this truck as same as this picture) Well yeah!!!! Lotsmof stripes and masking. Found my masking tape to be finished and popped into my LHS to get 5 mm Tamiya tape and started to use it. After the paintjob it came off in bits and pieces (paint was still wettish) and the tape torn and left behind glue etc etc on the body!!!

After all the neccacary tantrums etc I saw that although the tape was new bought is was actually old (old stock) in the LHS.

So when you do masking get new and "fresh newly made" m/tape and not old stock/stuff.

Jakes

logo_member2.gif

Of all the things I Lost - I miss my Mind the most

Hi Guys, the tape was new stock from my local model shop, i'd have thought 36 hours wasn't excessivly to long to leave it but it seems thats the only explanation, it's definatley reacted and its not left the glue on top either. So be warned. It could happen to you. Peel the tape off ASAP.

Thanx for the headsup BB

Jakes

logo_member2.gif

Of all the things I Lost - I miss my Mind the most

I always used electrical tape up until last week, Just bought some tamiya tape to give it a try. My scorcher is just waiting for me to get a can of paint. Am now worried about it. Well, only one way to find out...

painting is a bit of a black art i,ve found, but this is how i do it - it might not work for everyone though!. on both my scorcher and roughrider (see my showroom pics,hint!,hint!) i used tamiya spray and tamiya tape, but for a primer coat i just used halfords car paint, they do plastic primer now aswell. (my scorcher reacted at first but i think it was because i was using any old paint to primer it up - oops!).

i sprayed the white all over and used that as my base gloss coat and once i felt i had an even finish i let it dry for a few days. then i masked it up the way i wanted and sprayed the final gloss top coat - either blue or orange. onace i was happy i had a good even finish i let that dry for a few hours and while the paint was still soft and still settling i removed the tape. it left a bit of a rough edge and the tape left an imprint in the paint, but it didnt matter. once all that had dried for a few days i flatted the whole lot with ultra fine wet and dry paper (used wet), its got to be as fine grade as possible - at least 1000 or 1200 grade, after a good flat down all the imperfections and "tide marks" from the joining colours smoothed out. finally, once i was satisfied i had a smooth glassy finish, i polished it all up with a cutting paste/polisher and then applied the

stickers, after that i gave it one more final polish.

thats it, its very tricky to master and my results are far from perfect, but when it works, it works a treat. the paint job on my roughrider is the best result i,ve ever had, unfortunately in the photo,s i took its come out a bit pinkish, but really its bright orange.

have fun!!!.

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Finished the painting of the scorcher shell a few days ago, red/yellow, and the result is ok.

not toally happy with it, some rough edges on the paint where the tape has been, but that should flat out ok.

cant wait till the body is totally finished.

need to clean this windows up, and paint the driver, and install the rear lights.

the front lights are gona work!

in my showroom you can see my old MB shell with working lights....them bulbs are goin in my scorcher.

i am hopefully gona get a realistic front bumper made, a metal one that wraps round the nosecone.

should be cool.

cheers

Joe