Singapore_959

List Of Mia...

A lot of the original members moved on to other forums - I think this place got a bit too 'mainstream' for them and they got fed up answering the same old "how much is my broken TL01 worth" type questions...

DJTheo now runs tamiyablog.com I believe...

Chris logged in yesterday...

I've been a member here since 2002. I still collect, but since downsizing to a flat in the last year, my collection has froze in size.

I used to be active on the forum many years ago, but now just pop on it to read threads once or twice a week.

kevinthegerbil #107

A lot of the original members moved on to other forums - I think this place got a bit too 'mainstream' for them and they got fed up answering the same old "how much is my broken TL01 worth" type questions...

DJTheo now runs tamiyablog.com I believe...

Chris logged in yesterday...

I can understand, having just joined myself, it's already a bit disheartening to see the same 4 models constantly discussed.

This is not my main hobby and flit in and out of it, and so I have long spaces where I dont visit some websites.

Having recenty returned here I am seeing why I left, so many people that cant use a search button!

... so many people that cant use a search button!

It's often said .... but I don't think the search function works that well - far too often I get a "your search matched at least 1000 posts" message :lol:

It's often said .... but I don't think the search function works that well - far too often I get a "your search matched at least 1000 posts" message :lol:

"Use search!" is just a standard message board refrain, so it's likely many people aren't taking into account how well it actually works.

The key to using the search is to put a + in front of each term, otherwise it defaults to 'or' functionality where it will match any post containing ANY of your search terms. Adding the + makes it match any posts containing ALL of your terms. Not exactly obvious...

This is not my main hobby and flit in and out of it, and so I have long spaces where I dont visit some websites.

Having recenty returned here I am seeing why I left, so many people that cant use a search button!

Maybe It's the friendly helpful comments like that which make then not really want to be hanging out this forum??

This forum still has some great contributors, and we do get new people appear, and its normal for people to move on. Back when it started there was a massive buzz about collecting the old cars, eBay wasn't prevalent so there was alot of trading etc. I think there are still some interesting threads it's just that there are so many separate topic areas of the forum that it doesn't seem as busy as it used to.

Hi all! I'm the member #24 in the club so I had been one of the first ones.

I'm not MIA but still alive. I reduced my presence here cause a big economic crisis due the loss of my job :lol: .

With no money to collect models and parts I feel so bad that I decided to stop thinking to Tamiya waiting for better moments.

Anyway this is not completelly possible so I lurk daily here on the forum reading you. Sometime I write too but not so often.

Ciao

Cheers

Kontemax

Just saw this topic and wanted to say hi.

I'm member number 2, so been around a while.

I didn't have kids when this started, got 2 now.

it's really that simple.

Just not enough hours in the day.

still passionate about this hobby though, although I neither race or actively collect as much right now.

that'll change though, and I'll be more involved again one day, although perhaps only as a mechanic for my kids cars !

Guest Greg67
It's often said .... but I don't think the search function works that well - far too often I get a "your search matched at least 1000 posts" message :(

:blink: I feel the same way. I'm new to the hobby too, so I don;t know much. Searching even in google, doesn;t always produce the info I need. I had a really hard time understanding even how r/c's work, but from the club here people helped me understand the basics and even helped me rebuild a challenging old Hilux. Which I think is awesome, it feels like a club to me here, more than just a forum.

I also live in a very rural area, and there is nobody around to talk to in person, or clubs close by to join in person. The nearest hobby shop is over an hour drive, and they don;t know much when it comes to anything not associated, and they get bothered if I ask questions. Basically get the brush off at the LHS.

I do ask a lot of questions, but I have slowly been able to help out others as I gain more knowledge, which I enjoy doing. To me that is what a club is all about. Sure, some folks just want to value there stuff on Ebay, but there are some folks on here that just manipulate others behind the scenes that have been long standing members...but it's not discussed openly. So there are all types.

Let's face it, a lot of members here have been in the hobby a long time, and some have a superior feeling to the young guys starting out. It's the cool guys who still enjoy the hobby after all the years that want to share it with newcomers that rule, and never got caught up in manipulating prices to fatten their pockets. At the top level from a business observation, there are a lot of shady folks, that seem to think they are manipulating things to make money, but I feel anyone who is smart at observing sees right through it. That's the one thing I don;t like about it, and most of those types don;t post much now. Dark side took their soul. :P

I'm grateful for all the veterans here that share the hobby with the new people, and generally like talking rc, that's what keeps the club going in my mind. To the people that stay and help everyone, and keep the club going...thanks! :)

I stopped coming around when the site lost it's vintage feel. I check every once in a while but spend the bulk of my time at rc10talk

Some years ago I gave a warning: someone probably will remember my post "too much non tamiya cars on the club"...

After it Netsmith introduced the "Tamiya only" filter in the club personal profiles.

Max

Some years ago I gave a warning: someone probably will remember my post "too much non tamiya cars on the club"...

After it Netsmith introduced the "Tamiya only" filter in the club personal profiles.

Max

From what I've seen "not enough Tamiya" isn't really a problem.

From what I've seen "not enough Tamiya" isn't really a problem.

Hehehe....

In this forum right now ( Anything related to Tamiya goes here... )

Post #1 - HPI Stratos,

Post #3 - HPI Star Dish Wheels,

Post #4 - Mardave,

Post #5 - Team Durango

I am not a top 100 member, but 2 things slowed me down, one was the lack of vintage discussion and the other was being shouted down over good advice.

Still pop back though and in a funny way find interesting as being a frequent visitor meant I saw each thread sloooowwwwwly emerge whereas now they are there in their fully discussed and debated state :D

I look forward to returning one day with my racing SRB build/retso, full off vintage hopups and a cool gearbox ratio custom conversion.... Just need to find time between flying and rebuilding helis.

Paul

Hehehe....

Post #1 - HPI Stratos,

Post #4 - Mardave,

Post #5 - Team Durango

I am not a top 100 member, but 2 things slowed me down, one was the lack of vintage discussion and the other was being shouted down over good advice.

Still pop back though and in a funny way find interesting as being a frequent visitor meant I saw each thread sloooowwwwwly emerge whereas now they are there in their fully discussed and debated state :D

I look forward to returning one day with my racing SRB build/retso, full off vintage hopups and a cool gearbox ratio custom conversion.... Just need to find time between flying and rebuilding helis.

Paul

It be Nice to see you returning to race at the Hamworthy club. Poole too, Paul :P:)

I stopped coming around when the site lost it's vintage feel. I check every once in a while but spend the bulk of my time at rc10talk

Shodog, where has your showroom gone? Did you really sell all of your stuff a little while back?

Hehehe....

Post #1 - HPI Stratos,

Post #4 - Mardave,

Post #5 - Team Durango

Paul

Yeah, Maybe I've got some sort of all Tamiya setting automatically preset, but I'm seeing M06, an M-chassis Project, a question about Lunchbox windshields, A DF-03 RA project, Yet another Sand Scorcher thread... which brings up another point. How "vintage-ey" did the site used to be? Currently every second thread is still about a SRB flavor, Avante, Lunchbox or other vintage re-re.

I'll agree that there's a lack of "discussion" since a lot of threads boil down to: "Hey, look what I just got!" or "Look what I'm building" followed by a few responses of "coool!" and shortly thereafter thread death.

Post #1 - HPI Stratos,

Post #4 - Mardave,

Post #5 - Team Durango

Threads have been moved now, don't forget you can always use the 'report' button if you think something's amiss :D

I think that "TamiyaClub" is more than just "A Club Where People Talk about Tamiyas".. sure that's the main thrust of what it's about, and despite there being a strong following for other manufacturers, the one thing that does tend to unite us is having a Scorcher, or a Hornet, or Frog or whatever when we were a kid, and either staying with the hobby from that time, or coming back to it in later years.

In my (albeit rather limited) experience, there is no other site or club out there that would understand the excitement over building or restoring a much loved classic Tamiya car quite like the members on here do, and despite some of us going mad about our Slash's or AX10s, Tamiya is our "first love" as it were and so it can still be called "Tamiya Club".

I would also echo what Greg67 says about most of the members here too. Whether they're old veterans who've been in the hobby for years, or relatively new guys starting out, the release of an icon like the Avante or Scorcher can still reduce people to jelly with excitement, and everyone else "gets it" and the feeling associated with it. Surely that's what a Club is all about?