Sign in to follow this  
Sideways-King

Help Sourcing A Vintage Diecast Game

Hi Guys,

I wondered if anyone on here could help me in sourcing a game I had some 25 - 30 years ago as a kid.

It was for diecast model cars of the Matchbox and Hotwheels size ( I think 1/64th?) and it comprised of a large detailed rotating disc of a road scene with a dashboard and steering wheel. It had a Magnet underneath and you could basically put any of your favourite diecast cars on to this disc and when you started up the ignition the disc simply rotated around and around. When you then steered the wheel the magnet moved up and down underneath effectively steering the car. The car actually didn't go anywhere other than up and down but the disc roatating around with the road scene gave the illusion of the car going on a road trip..... It was very cool! It had gears if I recall correctly which basically sped up the disc and made out you were belting it down the road.

I don't know what it was called or who it was made by but I would dearly love to collect one again for nostalga.

If anyone can help I would be truly grateful.

Thanks for reading :lol:

Chris

I remember this too, I don't think it was made by Matchbox or Hot Wheels as they had stopped using steel in their cars by then, time to browse Google I think.

Found it, took me about 10 minutes, it was called UDriveIt

I remember this too, I don't think it was made by Matchbox or Hot Wheels as they had stopped using steel in their cars by then, time to browse Google I think.

Found it, took me about 10 minutes, it was called UDriveIt

There was also a larger version that used Matchbox cars and the disc was a 3D moulding with humps and a lake

STEER N GO - remembered it whilst typing that :lol:

It had forward and reverse rotation and, I think, an ignition key on/off switch

Pretty sure it was lit from underneath to to simulate headlights?

Edit - found a pic although the car looks the wrong size, the magnet fitted regular Matchbox 'Superfast' size cars as it clipped into the hollow of the front wheels

steerngo.jpg

That's the one I remember....

Me too - my next door neighbour had one when we moved, so it woulda been available from '77 onwards I reckon.

I got really bored and sketched how the magnet clipped to the wheels :lol:

The black area was the magnet, mounted onto a plastic moulding which had sprung 'arms' which you squeezed in order to clip it into the wheel groove (grey shape is section thru front wheels)

This then allowed for a bit of float as there's a couple of off road sections on that disc and the magnet obviously needed to stay planted on the road surface (so sticking it to the car didn't work as they didn't have much in the way of suspension)

post-1185-1290036676_thumb.jpgpost-1185-1290036432_thumb.jpg

There was also a larger version that used Matchbox cars and the disc was a 3D moulding with humps and a lake

STEER N GO - remembered it whilst typing that :blink:

It had forward and reverse rotation and, I think, an ignition key on/off switch

Pretty sure it was lit from underneath to to simulate headlights?

Edit - found a pic although the car looks the wrong size, the magnet fitted regular Matchbox 'Superfast' size cars as it clipped into the hollow of the front wheels

steerngo.jpg

Andy - You are a god amongst men. This was exactly what I was trying to remember. Thanks so much to Gruntfuggly and tonysmini for helping too.

I'm really chuffed, all I've got to do is source one again.

Well done the TC crew again for having the fountain of knowledge :)

I'm really chuffed, all I've got to do is source one again.

Can't help you there, just checked and the guy sold his at a bootsale a couple of years ago :blink:

Nothing much on ebay either apart from an ad for one

That's the right one, I was looking at the one I found and thinking it didn't look quite right.