TWINSET

H P I Stratos Shell

Cup Racer and Switch fans, the Lancia Stratos HF body is now available! The legendary Lancia Stratos HF was the first "homologation special" rally car. Lancia produced just enough street cars to meet the rules that allowed it be entered in World Rally Championship competition. And compete it did, with three successive WRC titles in 1974, 1975 and 1976. Bold futuristic styling by Bertone and dominance in competition make the Stratos HF one of the most famous rally cars of all time.

The body comes in clear polycarbonate so you can paint it with your own favorite color scheme. The decals provided allow you to replicate the Stratos HF car #1 Alitalia car that was driven by Sandro Munari to victory at the Rallye Monte-Carlo in 1977. And, decals are provided to replicate the street version of the Stratos as well. It's a perfect fit on Cup Racer and Switch cars as well as many other "Mini" size cars with 225mm wheelbases.

Like all HPI bodies, Lancia Stratos HF comes with a clear protective overspray film, window masks and a large pre-cut decal sheet. The body has drill locations marked for HPI Cup Racer cars, making it easy to line up the body mount and antenna holes.

* Premium vinyl decals include window frames, headlights, grill, tail lights, official logos and more - For a perfect finish with a lot of details

* High quality polycarbonate with excellent dimensional stability and impact resistance - For extra strength and longer life

* Molded from clear polycarbonate plastic for durability and long life

* This is an officially licensed replica.

* Clear body (finished example shown)

* Pre-marked body post holes - For easy mounting on HPI cars

* Fits the HPI Cup Racer, HPI Switch and other "Mini" size cars

strat1.jpg

strat2.jpg

strat3.jpg

strat4.jpg

strat5.jpg

strat6.jpg

strat7.jpg

strat8.jpg

strat9.jpg

Copied from Modelsport

Nice. I wonder if HPI do those wheels too...especially the deep dished rears.

Nice. I wonder if HPI do those wheels too...especially the deep dished rears.

They do. 6mm offset mini wheels.

A great looking body! Really like it in yellow.

^^ might be MX60 sized though

neat Stratos, looks sharper than ABC's.

Hope its widely available... there's a big swag of HPI shells announced past 9-12mths but then still waiting to see in shops.

Oh that's beautiful. I had a Carson Stratos shell for ages until it literally fell apart. Was on at least three or four different chassis.

225mm? That's M04M size, right? I have most of an M04M, somewhere...

I've been looking at it over and over again... It's a stunner! :mellow: I like it that HPI is making better shells nowadays, even though they're not the same as Tamiya's. What's also nice is that they are not making shells of exactly the same cars!

Anyone know where this shell is in stock and ready to buy? I can't find it in stock anywhere. Was hoping for a UK seller but anywhere will do I suppose.

BTW they are 21 quid for the clear shell and decals set included.

The only place that I can find that actually sells it in the UK is WheelSpin Models, the RRP is 21.48 GBP, and it's out of stock (what a suprise) ;-

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/car/item/...F3-R6mm__17caf/

Found it at a German seller but it's 36 Euros!!!

http://shop.lindinger.at/product_info.php?...amp;language=en

...and I can't work out whether it's in stock or not?

Finally found a release date for it, it says early January 2011 ;- http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0001...&I=HPIC0214

Also Tower has it listed for early Jan. as well ;- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXASUE

Cheers,

ARG

Best wishes for 2011.

Recently HPI released a wonderful Lancia Stratos body with a 210 mm wheelbase. Will this body fit the M-03 chassis? Wheelbase is ok with 210 mm but I am a bit worried about the sloping front of the Stratos. Hope somebody knows the answer because I really like this body with the classic Stratos lines.

Thanks.

No, the Stratos won't fit an M03, it won't fit over the front shocks, never mind the high servo.

To be honest it won't go over the M05 and M06 front shocks either and the M06 motor will stick out the rear. The only way of finding a chassis for it to use the fwd HPI Switch or any of the 4wd mini chassis from HPI, Team Atlas, ABC Hobby or Xpress unless you modify a Tamiya chassis yourself.

Here's the body overlaid on the M06 chassis, notice the shocks sticking out the bonnet and the rather visible motor.

post-1332-1294060150_thumb.jpg

I wonder if it would fit on an old RC12I or 12L or something? Have to check dimensions when I have time.

I wonder if it would fit on an old RC12I or 12L or something? Have to check dimensions when I have time.

Hmmmm, good thinking Batman !.

If I remember, I'll measure up my L3 tonight.

Only really suitable for indoor use though :blink:

No, the Stratos won't fit an M03, it won't fit over the front shocks, never mind the high servo.

To be honest it won't go over the M05 and M06 front shocks either and the M06 motor will stick out the rear. The only way of finding a chassis for it to use the fwd HPI Switch or any of the 4wd mini chassis from HPI, Team Atlas, ABC Hobby or Xpress unless you modify a Tamiya chassis yourself.

Here's the body overlaid on the M06 chassis, notice the shocks sticking out the bonnet and the rather visible motor.

post-1332-1294060150_thumb.jpg

I can confirm that the shell wil most likely not fit the ABC Hobby genetic chassis as the damper stays are very high building.

I had to create a new front damper stay for my Porsche 908 project which has a very low sitting body in the front as well.

Sorry I do not have info on other chassis.

this is my all time fav body of the 80's rally cars . Question is what to fit it to ? has to be 4wd and rocket ship quick obviously . problem is it will handle like a real Stratos . IE - sideways 80% of the time lol . The wheelbase was just too short for a car of this power / weight . I know as i once got the chance to drive one and it was a real brown pants moment .

this is my all time fav body of the 80's rally cars . Question is what to fit it to ? has to be 4wd and rocket ship quick obviously . problem is it will handle like a real Stratos . IE - sideways 80% of the time lol . The wheelbase was just too short for a car of this power / weight . I know as i once got the chance to drive one and it was a real brown pants moment .

Need to necro this thread to see if anyone has had luck marrying this shell to anything but an HPI cup racer. Does it even look good on that chassis? The HPI Stratos rally is an aggressive looking shell. Would be nice to figure out some options for it. Personally I'd like to do it in some of the other livery I've seen though the Alitalia is classic.

Well, there is one other chassis option with the correct wheelbase, and it's even a Tamiya...

DSCF0643.JPG

Well, there is one other chassis option with the correct wheelbase, and it's even a Tamiya...

DSCF0643.JPG

Oh man, this chassis is great, jsut that the shell still sits too low on the wheels. Can you not extend the bodymounts a bid to give it more space?

You could for example pass a parked car from behing, but still see the car thorugh the real car's windows B)

Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and buy a Cup Racer if you really want this body and not have exposed shock towers...lol. It's actually a pretty good M size chassis.

Wow great article, thanks GregM! I think I will build an all new M04S which will be a lot cheaper than buying a Cup Racer.