Sign in to follow this  
kaiser

It Was Only A Matter Of Time

i know i said i wasn't going to mod my clod, well temptation is killing me. the video's of clods are killing me, the sound of 14-16volt clods are killing me.

i'm going to mod this bad boy. at the moment it's stock, just ball races and an teu-103bk speed control.

i was interested in the thunder tech rage, but they are having supply issues and a for only a 20 spot more i could pick up the alloy version of cpe's terminator. so i'm pretty sure the terminator is the chassis i'm going with.

so far here's what i think i'm going to do (to start)

cpe terminator

traxxas big bore alloy shocks

evx-2 speed controler

stock motors (for now)

going to try 3s 11.1volts to start, and find out how long silver cans will last on 11.1 volts.

stock tires and wheels to start

i need to pick a body.

i have a few questions for the clod gurus:

if i'm interested in speed (free style/race setup) i assume i should leave the diff's open? correct?

any reason to lock the rear? i know it will slow it down in the turns.

should i go for the twin servo 4ws or stick with front steering?

i have a hitec 645mg in there now.

whats's the weak point? i mean whats going to break if i launch it? gear cases?

any hints, opinions, necessary mods?

any and all imput is greatly appreaciated.

pete-

I'd say lock the rear steer, and cut off the lugs preventing more throw on the front, if you're going for speed. You'll get a lot more straight line stability with this set up, and it'll be much less likely to fall over in the corners.

Oh.. and Clod Modding is the most fun you can have in RC with your clothes on.

:-P

lol, it's a bit overwhelming though. there's so much out there for it. i'm trying not to spend "too" much on it, but i've got to do something.

i've got some $$ the wife is unaware of that will enable me to start the project. :D

at first i was looking into clodzilla's as thats what i remember beeing the bee's knee's back in the day. but i quickly realized that there was much better alternatives out there.

i'm really digging the terminator, and now they have an alloy version that makes it an even better value. i signed up for clodtalk.com too. i'm doomed now. lol

lol, it's a bit overwhelming though. there's so much out there for it. i'm trying not to spend "too" much on it, but i've got to do something.

i've got some $$ the wife is unaware of that will enable me to start the project. :D

at first i was looking into clodzilla's as thats what i remember beeing the bee's knee's back in the day. but i quickly realized that there was much better alternatives out there.

i'm really digging the terminator, and now they have an alloy version that makes it an even better value. i signed up for clodtalk.com too. i'm doomed now. lol

Oh I agree, there's just so MUCH stuff about, it's quite daunting to know where to start... but I think that's half the fun though. Those Clod Axles have been used as the basis for so many different types of truck, it seems the only limit is your own imagination. I wouldn't say I was an expert on clod modding by any stretch, but the bit I have done with mine really has opened up a whole new vista of the hobby that I'd not really explored very much.

You're gonna love every minute of it! Look forward to pics and vids of yours in action :P (The only thing that's stopped me doing the same with mine is the blummin' weather.)

the weather is one of the things that promted my decision to mod the clod. i can't wait for snow!

Apparently in the UK we're getting some snow this weekend.

Wouldn't that be a superb debut for my Mod Clods :D:P

Wouldn't that be a superb debut for my Mod Clods :P:)

Better get some batteries chargered ready :P

Enjoy doing your clod

I like crazy mods :D

Oh.. and Clod Modding is the most fun you can have in RC with your clothes on.

:-P

That kind of implies that you've done some modding in the nip ... on second thoughts, I don't think I really want to know :P

Possibly as early as Wednesday here ... just gives me time to lash some proper lighting onto my Clod :D

I have a Super Clod in the box waiting a makeover. Been looking at the CPE stuff too esp the Terminator chassis...start with the chassis, then steering linkages, suspension, servo mounts and before I know it I've thrown loads of (imaginary) cash down the drain and have a built a Mod Clod from the ground up.

Really want to keep the original body on mine (have one of Chris' neat bed kits for it) so might just go stock with bettter shocks (Big Bores), a lift kit, some new links, some wheel wideners and a 9.6V stick pack.

See? Every time...

Just thought I'd add a few pics of my fairly minimal mods. Just done away with what I see as the main weak points of the chassis and still retained it's classic looks.

Clods006.jpg

Clods009.jpg

Custom 4 link setup

Clods011.jpg

Locked Rear steer

Clods008.jpg

Front mounted steering servo for 2WS

ClodMods001.jpg

Obviously yours is going to have the full "treatment" because you're replacing the entire chassis, but that's the beauty of Clod Modding.. you can do as much or as little as you like, and it's still awesome :lol:

thats the problem with clods it's just near impossible not to buy goodies for it..

I purchased an original chevy bodied clod as "spares" off flea-bay thinking I would just chuck some radio gear in it and play about.

Within an hour of it landing on my doorstep it was stripped to parts cleaned, evaluated, I noticed the chassis had cracked in the usual place and that was it...

its now having lots of goodies :lol:

just cant make my mind up about shocks and rear steer at the moment.

last night i felt the need to finish building my clod, up until now i've been running it with and unfinished body, no chrome installed.

so i installed all the chrome, i'm not going to bother painting it though. i also got rid of the tamiya battery connector and installed a deans so i can run my lipos in it.

i was amazed that my 5000mah hard case fit, i had to remove the spacer from inside the battery holder and i drilled two holes in it so the banana's could plug in.

35c add's a bit of punch to the stock clod, and 5000mah makes for a nice runtime. i ran for about 20 minutes last night and 10 this mornign and it's still got juice to give.

i brought it to work today so my friends could see it before i start modding it.

took the stock clod out for a bash last night. my 5 month old great dane puppy like to chase it, or be chased.

i took it out this morning so the pup could run after it before work. he did, and i crashed. took out the front bumper too. :lol:

...I know i said i wasn't going to mod my clod, well temptation is killing me. the video's of clods are killing me, the sound of 14-16volt clods are killing me.... I'm going to mod this bad boy. at the moment it's stock, just ball races and an teu-103bk speed control....so far here's what i think i'm going to do (to start)...

evx-2 speed controler

stock motors (for now)

going to try 3s 11.1volts to start, and find out how long silver cans will last on 11.1 volts.

stock tires and wheels to start

....(edited)

pete,

Are you running 2 silvercans on one TEU-103?

I have been running silvercans on TEU-101s and -103s at 11,1 (3S Lipo) all the time, and both motors and cans are doing well. The combination seems more at easy in my DT02 and Wild Dagger than in my 4WD DB01 and DF03s. I add a 1£ 7805 voltage regulator to save the receiver and servo.

yes i'm running two stock silver cans with the teu-103bk.

so you're saying that you've been ruinning 11.1 volts through the 103bk? thats good to know. i'm going to have to try it.

i'm ordering the chassis kit today! can't wait for the new build.

i'm still wondering if i can use a pair of sport tuned motors in the clod with success. some say yes others say no. they are timed if i recall correctly.

Edited: I realized that I confused the 103 with the 104:

I have been running 11.1V on TEU-104BKs and -101BKs for a year now. Four different ESCs in 3 different cars with Sport Tuned (timed, yes) and Silver Cans. I would think that the 103 is of the same design as the others.

I suggets you pick up a second 103BK from Epay and run them in parallel (see my post in the Twin Det hop ups thread). But remember that the 101 and 104 passes the input voltage directly to the receiver, so - assuming the 104 does the same - a voltage regulator is a must if running a non BEC receiver.

Kaiser,

i'm still wondering if i can use a pair of sport tuned motors in the clod with success. some say yes others say no. they are timed if i recall correctly.

The TEU-103 ESC supports Sport Tuned motors, and this ESC is intended for use in twin motor trucks, so the answer is yes, you can (refer to text in link). At least I hope so; I've got two of Sport Tuned motors sitting next to me awaiting installation in my own Clod Buster.

Hope this helps. :)

Rob

thanks rob.

the c.p.e. terminator just came in, it's freaking cool. i'll have to get a couple of pics up. hopefully i'll get a chance to build it this weekend.

thanks rob.

the c.p.e. terminator just came in, it's freaking cool. i'll have to get a couple of pics up. hopefully i'll get a chance to build it this weekend.

looking forward to seeing this! Mod Clods are automatic awesome ;)

teu-103bk:

New ESC especially for the Tamiya Twin Detonator / Double Blaze and Clodbuster two motor trucks. For twin silver can or twin Sport Tune (Or GT/Dirt/Light Tune motors) only.

This new ESC has been specifically designed for use with Tamiya's twin electric motor R/C vehicles to control up to two Sport-Tuned Motors, but is about the same size as the TEU-101BK for compact efficiency. The ESC allows you to set a button for cancelling reverse, and together with an LED display allows easy setting of neutral, acceleration, and reverse/braking high points. Its "smart" feature adjusts the neutral and high points according to transmitter inputs, and it is possible to use this ESC with most transmitters on the market today. It also features built-in Battery Elimination Circuitry (BEC), so it can be used conveniently even with receivers that do not have this feature.

*Compatible Chassis: Wild Dagger, Twin Detonator, TXT-1, Super Clodbuster

Specifications

Compatible Receiver: TAMIYA, KO PROPO, FUTABA, JR, SANWA/AIRTRONICS(Blue "Z" Connector only)

Control System: High Frequency Wave Drive

System Max continuous current (FET Spec): Forward 150A, Reverse 75A Power Supply: 7.2v (6 Cells)

Compatible Motor: Up to 2 Sport Tuned Motors

Driving Frequency: 1kHz BEC Voltage: 6.0v

Dimensions 35mm x 36.5mm x 21.5mm Weight 54.2g

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hmmm....makes me wonder if i can run 11.1v through it.

Feeding too high a voltage to an ESC can ruin it in various ways;

1) Killing the FETs (output transistors). As most of these are rated for at least 30 volts, the main problem will be staying within teh "Safe Operating Area" of the FET in question, which is a combination of current and voltage loads. Running 11.1volts with 540s or Sport Tuned 540s should be ok, as long at the ESC doesn't really fry. Check for temp.

2) Killing the BEC circuitry. The power dissipation in most (non-switched) BEC regulators is a product of the voltage drop (battery voltage less output voltage, f.i. 7.2 - 6.0 = 1.2volts, or 11.1 - 6.0 = 5.5 volts) and the current drain (mainly servos, but also some 0.1-0.2A for the ESC circuitry itself). So by increasing the battery voltage from 7.2 to 11.1, you get 5 times the heat / power dissipation in the BEC circuitry. Don't use high power servos if not strictly required.

3) Killing the ESC input and control circuitry. Depending on the design, it may run directly on the battery voltage, or it may be sourced from the internal BEC, in which case it should be safe. The non-BEC TEU101BK and TEU104BK I run on 11.1 show no sign of giving up. One could speculate that the design of the TEU103BK is similar, apart from more (or more powerful) FETs, so there is a chance the 103 would work fine as well.

i'll give it a try, it's a cheap esc anyway. if it does fry i'll upgrade to the evx2 and 550's and 14+volts.

thanks again mike.

i tore down the stock clod and started building the terminator last night.

first impressions, WOW fit and finish are excellent. i got the axles mounted to the 4 links and the behind the axel (BTA)steering set tup. lots of articulation.

the truck feels huge now, even with the body and tires off.

i'm going to start on the wheel wideners tonight, that ought to take a while. each wheel needs 5 holes drilled.

one draw back, no instructions. i know it's pretty self explanitory but it would have been nice for atleast a list if where the hardware is intended to be used.

it would have been nice for the BTA kit to come with instructions, i had to finds pics to make it work, then realized the pics i found were of it installed incorrectly. lol

it's all sorted now.

hopefully i'll be able to take it out for a test drive this weekend.

i would have taken pictures but the wife had the camera.