Sign in to follow this  
jhellman(2)

Hotshot Ball Bearings?

Hello,

The Hotshot (1) manual tells that W1 and W2 plastic bearing can be replaced by ball bearings. Fine, no news so far. However, then the manual lists all the following;

no. 5036 Ball Bearing Set (2 pcs)

no. 5073 Ball Bearing Set (4 pcs)

no. 5241 Hotshot Ball Bearing Set

no. 5242 850 Ball Bearing Set (2 pcs)

This is a bit confusing. As I understand, the 5241 HotShot Ball bearing set had 13 pcs of 1150 ball bearing and 5 pcs of 850. By the way, are those correct sizes?

That set should be enough to replace all the W1 and W2 plastic bearings. What are the other sets used for?

Does anyone know what is the size of the Ball bearings used in 4 gear box joints (of course I can open it, but if someone knows it, it saves some time)?

How about those 5 mm metal rings (Blister pack A). Can they be replaced with some size ball bearings?

Best regards,

Juha

quote:

The Hotshot (1) manual tells that W1 and W2 plastic bearing can be replaced by ball bearings. Fine, no news so far. However, then the manual lists all the following;

no. 5036 Ball Bearing Set (2 pcs)

no. 5073 Ball Bearing Set (4 pcs)

no. 5241 Hotshot Ball Bearing Set

no. 5242 850 Ball Bearing Set (2 pcs)

This is a bit confusing. As I understand, the 5241 HotShot Ball bearing set had 13 pcs of 1150 ball bearing and 5 pcs of 850. By the way, are those correct sizes?

id=quote>id=quote>

Yes.

Tamiya sold BBs in various packs & little square boxes of 4 pcs. Back in those days they were approx equivalent of $10 each... a full set of BBs for the Hotshot cost about the same as the whole new kit. (A tad dear for dreaming kiddies back then.)

quote:

Does anyone know what is the size of the Ball bearings used in 4 gear box joints (of course I can open it, but if someone knows it, it saves some time)?

id=quote>id=quote>

They're all 1150s.

quote:

How about those 5 mm metal rings (Blister pack A). Can they be replaced with some size ball bearings?

id=quote>id=quote>

You use "thrust bearings" for these - instead of looking like 'donuts', these bearings are like 'bagel sandwiches'.

Oooh, its lunchtime here!! icon_smile_blush.gif