Sign in to follow this  
Saito

Recommend Me A Rally Car

After watching too much full size rally action on youtube, I've been bitten by the bug to dive into RC rally cars. The problem is I know NOTHING about Tamiya's on-road/rally chassis. I'm strictly a vintage off-road guy with only a few exceptions. All the TA-02 TT-01 etc. etc. stuff means nothing to me. Which chassis are suitable to run on reasonably smooth dirt surfaces (to scale with the car that is)? I'd like something on the cheaper side to recommend to the misses as a Christmas pressy. It doesn't even need to perform all that well, I just want a taste of it to see if I like it. I was thinking of a Mini which I've seen successfully converted to rally machines but there might be something more suitable.

I really like the TB-01. They can still be had NIB and there are some good used ones available to. Part really aren't an issue IMO.

They are heavy and bulletproof and you REALLY need something more than a silver can motor because they are slow, slow, slow otherwise. They just don't break though and take a ton of abuse. Just about any body shell will work on this chassis and the all metal gears are tough. Perfect for rally.

The chassis is covered by a lexan dirt shield and all openings have foam dust filters. They are shaft driven and sealed up so no belts or such to get snagged and break.

The TT-01 is an inexpensive entry-level on-road car, and can be made to rally, but isn't ideal. Crud gets in the tub and caught b/w the shaft and the tub, motor, electronics, etc. The shock travel and clearance aren't great. The plastics aren't as tough as the TB-01. But at least the TT-01 doesn't come with oil shocks, ball bearings, metal propshaft or heatsink, so you get to invest more money in a car that won't ever be as good as the TB-01. Wait, that's not a good thing.... :(

I've never been keen on the TL-01 [much older than the TT-01] for many of the same reasons as above. Also, crud gets wedged b/w the battery and chassis making it hard to remove the battery. The more crud the worse the problem. Rally cars will get a lot of crud. Also, your battery is hanging out there waiting to get damaged.

The DF-01 & TA-01/02 chassis is better, but still kinda old.

The new DF03RA has some issues with metal gears made of soft alloy that can wear quickly, but is very capable and probably handles the best of any Tamiya rally chassis. Also, predictably, costs more.

The minis just look a hoot to rally, but I've not tried it myself. They are only 2wd though, and that would be a problem in some circumstances. Ants hate them though - the mini is fast and low and the ants can't duck fast enough or outrun them. A skid plate is NOT optional. B)

That's all I got to say 'bout that.

PS: check some of the youtube videos from monkeyracing and some of the Czech R/C rally vids. They are just a blast to watch and I've been wanting to try a course like they have for about 2 years. They REALLY know how to have some fun with R/C rally!!!!

Tamiya also do a rally version of the M chassis, the M05RA. It come with different hub carriers for more ground clearance and an under tray. You can get it in the Suzuki Swift or my favourite the Alpine A110 which just looks beautiful.

Have a look at this website just for fun. M03 mini rally, luv em. Visit Website

Thanks for the replies! You've given me alot to think about. The Alpine A110 M05RA has me drooling though... :lol:

I'm no fan of the road/raly cars, but i really really like the look of the Alpine - the chunkier tyres should add a mm or so to the ground clearance over something like the Swift

I have a DF-03ra and it goes like stink and handles beautifully........ok so the Lancia Delta body is a bit fragile, and one heavy impact with a post by my mates 10 year old son did crack it, but I have a Scooby shell in paint for it at the moment anyway.

I have a TB-01 in the post somewhere (come on Royal Mail)

And a visit to Wonderland Models in Edinburgh yesterday did result in the purchase of the M-05ra with the Alpine shell. Oil filled shocks and full ball-races are on order and then all badword will break loose! Going to leave it with the stock silver can motor for the time being so that the wife and any little RC fans can use it without having the silly poke of the Super Stock motors.

Here is my view from my experiences,

TB-01, I have one of these under my Bowler Wildcat. A truly great chassis, bullet proof drive train (its the drive train from the Tamiya nitro on roaders) and it takes some bashing, I run a dirt tuned motor and a 2s lipo and it flies along. And is pretty capable off road. It is running on fastrax Scale 90mm 1.9" wheels and tyres. Oh and it looks stunning too! (not my words just most people who see it)

TT-01 with a few modifications can be made to go rally, I have one with a Niko 206 WRC shell on it. Also with Fastrax 90mm wheels and tyres. It`s good but not as good as my Bowler.

Ta-01/02 is quite cabable, I have one of these under my Tamiya Hummer. Its Ok, but again not as good as my TB-01.

I'm no fan of the road/raly cars, but i really really like the look of the Alpine - the chunkier tyres should add a mm or so to the ground clearance over something like the Swift

I just saw this M-05RA for the 1st time with the Alpine body. LOVE at first sight - want one!

I have a nice TT01 Audi Quattro available in the for sale section and now on ebay. :lol:

I think I'm going to start with the Alpine. Its just beautiful. I can put a Mini shell on it later (love original Minis as well) or my all time favorite car, the Lancia Stratos (I know, I know its RWD, but the HPI shell looks good). I think I'll keep an eye out later for a TB01. It sounds nice and bulletproof.

I think I'm going to start with the Alpine. Its just beautiful. I can put a Mini shell on it later (love original Minis as well) or my all time favorite car, the Lancia Stratos (I know, I know its RWD, but the HPI shell looks good). I think I'll keep an eye out later for a TB01. It sounds nice and bulletproof.

The Alpine is a great looking car but I think the Stratos would just edge it.

I'm waiting for the RWD M06pro to be released. Then I will be adding the Alpine body and rally tires. The M05RA hub carriers will also fit the M06 for more ground clearance if needed.

I'm waiting for the RWD M06pro to be released. Then I will be adding the Alpine body and rally tires. The M05RA hub carriers will also fit the M06 for more ground clearance if needed.

I've just seen a new Alpine bodyset on ebay for £18.50 posted!

Just to counterbalance the TB01 love-in, here's some negative opinions:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=59631&hl=

I'd go with the mini - it'll put a smile on your face...

The TB-01 will indeed require some tweaking regarding the suspension setup, and definetely needs a bigger pinion (because with the standard setup, you could see a snail beside you overtaking the car), but it's definetely not a bad chassis!

If you plan on getting a touring car based rally car, I can recommend the TB01 or the TA02.

The TA02 is sturdy but gets easily dirty inside and it's wise to smooth out some parts (like the front diff cover) with silicon sealant to prevent damage to it - it's especially handy when driving on rough gravel surfaces or surfaces with a few pebbles and rocks. The only real hopup it needs are bearings, although a set of front universals would increase performance, and so would many other hopups for the car that unfortunately can be a bit expensive.

The TB01 is as solid as you could ever wish a rally car to be. The only weak points are it's shock towers (they can crack at the mounting holes for the shocks, but I so far didn't have one breaking), but the shocks can be mounted straight to the gearboxes too. The body posts are a bit flexible and soft, but apart from the fact that after some running they may not be 100% straight, they absorb crashes well and are just fine for body posts to me. Like any older Tamiya it needs bearings, oil shocks are there but I'd replace them (as they aren't highly adjustable: they don't use pistons with holes but a shaft with a plate on it acting as a piston).

As for the M-chassis rally cars, just make sure that the shell you run corresponds with the driven wheels of your chassis. To me, it's painful and plain wrong to see a Renault Alpine shell on a front wheel driven chassis.

The TB-01 will indeed require some tweaking regarding the suspension setup, and definetely needs a bigger pinion (because with the standard setup, you could see a snail beside you overtaking the car)

Snails and Ants, oh my. :)

Sorry Paul, couldn't resist. I was rolling around on the floor when I saw my recent ant comment made the silver screen in the forum quotes thread. This is certainly a contender.

And the funniest part is, IT'S ABSOLUTELY TRUE! :lol: