Sign in to follow this  
ap6318

Rough Rider Rebirth

Onto my next project which is actually a car I'm building for a work mate.

The story goes, he's had it in a box since the early 90s as he pulled out the radio gear to run in a modern car - the Stadium Blitzer B) We were talking one day and he said he had an old Tamiya style car but didn't think it could be saved - there was the first part of my interest. So I told him to bring it in and I'll take a look.

Here is what I was given....

p1100240.jpg

p1100241g.jpg

p1100242.jpg

p1100243y.jpg

It was nearly complete so I take on the project - Make it a runner so he can join in our vintage meets at Boondall. Budget AU$200 for parts.

All stripped down so it now looks like this

p1100593.jpg

p1100593.jpg

A few broken bits like roll bar and rear cage - easy fix with re-re parts so this should be nice and straight forward

One thing I found unusual was it had 2 different styles of front arm - I'm assuming one of the other SRBs had different arms - everything still lines up but 1 set is a different material and much lighter.

p1100595.jpg

Anyway - gave the metal parts a bath then a nice polish with some Inox

p1100597.jpg

Gears cleaned, new bearings and fresh coat of ceramic grease

p1100598.jpg

Rear gearbox re-assembled :)

p1100599.jpg

p1100600.jpg

Hello mate,

Now thats what I like for a project.!! Good luck with it..! This is a MKI chassis which is the first run SRB which is the oldest of them all.! :) This metal parts are different than the later MKII production which is also similal to the re-re parts by the way.The MKI parts are best to be cleaned with white spirit and a brush and then wash with water and soap.It will make it look like new if there are no corrosion problems and only grease marks.

The correct front arms for the MKI chassis are the small/lighter one ,also easy to brake,,with the others being from the later MKII chassis and also stronger.

Cheers

Thanos

Bodyshell looks like it will clean up ok with some mild detergent, and a bit of car polish. Minor repair to the right hand a pillar and the jobs a good un !!

Hello mate,

Now thats what I like for a project.!! Good luck with it..! This is a MKI chassis which is the first run SRB which is the oldest of them all.! ;) This metal parts are different than the later MKII production which is also similal to the re-re parts by the way.The MKI parts are best to be cleaned with white spirit and a brush and then wash with water and soap.It will make it look like new if there are no corrosion problems and only grease marks.

The correct front arms for the MKI chassis are the small/lighter one ,also easy to brake,,with the others being from the later MKII chassis and also stronger.

Cheers

Thanos

Hey thanks for the info - makes sense now. So does the fact it is the first run SRB make it more special or valuable or just a conversational piece?

As for the wing - it has unfortunately met wit an irreversable fate :blink: The original body has been totally stripped of all foreign objects including the plastic roof, F1 wing and brass reinforcements and given a healthy dose of oven cleaner.

p11006410.jpg

There are 6 layers of paint here - yellow house paint, black enamel, red car paint, bronze model paint, white then blue model paint.

p1100644i.jpg

p1100645.jpg

Anyway, new re-re roll bar and rear cage arrived and have installed an new 540 silver can - one thing I noticed is the new can was a really tight fit - like almost impossible. Its in now but hope I don't have to take it out anytime soon.

p1100601.jpg

p1100602.jpg

What was wrong with keeping the body original and in keeping with the condition of the rest of the chassis?

daz

Given up on the old shell after 4 goes with the oven cleaner and many hours of rubbing so just doing the re-re body instead...

p1100674.jpg

Nice layer of undercoat on the new body

p1100642.jpg

And on with the French Blue

p11006430.jpg

2 light coats then one thick wet coat. Allow to dry and on with the decals - Probably should have bought repo originals but on a budget and these came with the body set.

p1100673v.jpg

p1100672.jpg

Now that's done I can put it aside and finish the rest off quickly.

i really like that body.i think the rere decals look ok.

keep the updates coming

"Hey thanks for the info - makes sense now. So does the fact it is the first run SRB make it more special or valuable or just a conversational piece?"

The MK1 chassis parts are really hard to get hold of , the front arms , the front towers ,the rear A arms (twin bearings) and the gearbox casing in particular , the best advice is not to run it too hard . Looks like and excellent project though

p11006410.jpg

Hey, it that Santa's beard?

One part of me is saying what a waist of time becasue of the re-release; the other part of me is saying what great passion and step-by-step process bring something back from the dead, the end result is worth the time spend.

Hi.!

Good to see you are doing a great job there.! MKI chassis to me is the best looking and as said above the most rare to find in good order.I would also use it gently with a re-re body as you did.! The good thing with the re-re body is that now its so easy to complete with the ready cut and made decals that I was thinking to make a rainbow of bodies and hang them on the wall..:-)

keep posting your work and Merry Christmas .!

Cheers,Thanos.

Been a while since I updated this build so thought I'd better finish it off since the buggy is now back with its original owner.

Dash detailed

p1100686.jpg

Driver painted

p1100688.jpg

Body totally finished

p1100689.jpg

While I was painting the body I tried to rebuild the shocks with 1 out of 4 shocks holding oil. Luckily I found these and must say I'm very impressed.

p1100680.jpg

Upload some more pics and continue soon...

Great Project! Keep the pics coming! I always like to see something like this saved from eBay or the bin. Is he planning on running this thing? What are the differences between the original Rough Rider body and a new Re-release body?

OSR

Great Project! Keep the pics coming! I always like to see something like this saved from eBay or the bin. Is he planning on running this thing? What are the differences between the original Rough Rider body and a new Re-release body?

OSR

Hey thanks Old School!

Most of my cars are dogs to start with - that's part of the fun. Yes the car was built to be run - will load pics of the electrics a bit later.

Not sure of the difference between the original and re-re body - they look the same to me but the original was missing the roof as well as having an F1 spioler hanging off the back. the only obvious thing was the decals.

Next is the chassis

p1100682.jpg

Front suspension - gave it a polish with WD40 and steel wool. How good do the RC Channel shocks look B)

p1100749n.jpg

And mounted - re-used the original ball races on the uprights - not sure this was a good idea as there is some play in them. See how they hold up under a run.

p1100751.jpg

Servo saver rebuilt and installed.

p1100755.jpg

Next - radio box...

Nice work B). I really liked that wing, though! Out of all the RR bodies I've seen, that one is my favorite ;).

Shame you stripped the old shell.

Would've been nice to keep that as a runner, and the new one for the shelf.

But I guess you can't tell what's underneath until you do start stripping it.

Still, it's a sweet little piece!!

Well done. B)

Shame you stripped the old shell.

Would've been nice to keep that as a runner, and the new one for the shelf.

But I guess you can't tell what's underneath until you do start stripping it.

Still, it's a sweet little piece!!

Well done. :D

Yeah the plan was to run the re-re and shelf the original shell. It still could happen but I did not have the time to spend to bring it back to life again.

Radio box insatlled - I managed to glue up the front part and install an Acoms 29mmhz AM receiver that has the leads coming off to make plugging easy.

Also installed the original servo with some "Shoe Goo" as well as a generic 200A ESC (I sell these locally for $25) will run the silver can on 2s lipo easily. Finally a lipo buzzer to stop any chance of dropping cells below 3 volts

p1100791.jpg

p1100794.jpg

p1100796.jpg

A test run with the Acoms stick radio was a success!! Next step - mounting the body to complete the job

Oh, the lipo was not pictured - I used this one 2200mah 20C Lipo