Striker01

New Guy Here-let's See All Your Hot Shot's!

Bearings don't really have to be Tamiya, you just need 13x 1150 size, and 5x 850 size. There are sellers on eBay eg dinball that are very good, and shipping is relatively cheap.

- James

The sizing that I need I know, thanks to you for your previous post.

I just wish that TH would carry such things.

Would these do? Says 22pcs though

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yeah-Racing-Bearing-Tam...=item20b4abb661

One of things I always remember about building my original Hotshot in 1985 when I was 13 was the panic/devastation I temporarily experienced when I thought that either the kit was faulty or I had built it incorrectly. The "trouble" started as I approached the final build steps and the car was nearing completion. As the excitement of seeing it finished became stronger I decided to skip a few of the last steps and go to the one where I fit the wheels and tyres so I can give it a quick spin on the carpet. So with a few bits 'n bobs not yet fitted I fitted the wheels/tyres, connected the battery to the speed controller connector, placed the car on the carpet and gave the throttle stick a gentle push forward.

Nothing happened. No response from the car whatsoever.

I pushed the stick a little further but still the car remained stationary. A feeling of immense disappointment washed over me. I'd done something wrong with the electrics surely? Or worse I'd been unlucky enough to receive a dud kit. I then pushed the stick all the way forward and lo and behold the car launched forward, giving me the fright of my life.

I was perplexed. Why was it only working on one speed? I didn't know much about electrics but all the wires were connected to the battery and motor properly....I mean the only ones I hadn't connected were those really thin ones to those little resistor thingies at the back of the car.....

You can work out the rest of the story! I learnt my 1st lesson about the function of resistors and circuit breaking in that very moment. :)

Oh yes, and I also learnt to not get ahead of myself and skip steps as it can get you into a whole lot of trouble. :blink:

Here's mine. It was given to me by my uncle a few years ago. I got it rebuilt and ran it many times since then. I've even raced it a few times at the local hobbytown races...

Hotshot-1.jpg

The sizing that I need I know, thanks to you for your previous post.

I just wish that TH would carry such things.

Would these do? Says 22pcs though

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yeah-Racing-Bearing-Tam...=item20b4abb661

Yup, that'll do. Note that the kit includes 4x 1150 bearings, so you'll have 4 left over.

The car uses a total of 24 bearings. 2 thrust bearings, and 22 standard bearings. Of the standard bearings, the car uses 17x 1150, and 5x 850. The car already comes with 4x 1150 and 2x thrust bearings, so an 'upgrade' kit has 13x1150 and 5x 850 for a total of 18 bearings. A full kit has 17x 1150, and 5x 850, for a total of 22.

- James

You can buy bearings individually from TH or in pacKs. You just need to know what sizes you need.

Guest Greg67

Nice congrats on the purchase Striker01! Look forward to hearing what you think of the kit!

If your buddy can airbrush well, he may even be able to come up with some cool design ideas for custom r/c's in the future if you get into cars too. Have to use a polycarbonate paint, or else it won't "stick" to the body well.

Smart idea on buying as much as you can from one seller!

Did you use a coupon code?

As far as driving in snow...some guys do. I would recommend figuring out how to waterproof the electronics before attempting it. I am curious how that is done myself, so can;t offer any advice...yet anyway. :lol: Be careful painting even in a garage, the paint has a very strong odor and cannot be too healthy to breath in. So, maybe open up the garage doors, lay down a lot of newspaper so you don;t get the garage floor red...I mean unless it is your house, then do what you want! But my parents were not too happy when the garage was grey and the house smelt like tmaiya ps paint. hahah/ A mask is recommended, polycarbonate spray (PS) stinks bad and will make you cough. So try to have some air circulating.

For a quick blast in the snow you can wrap the chassis deck in cling film (with a bit of caution at the ESC to allow heat to escape) and use a waterprof electrical spray on the more connections.

Guest Greg67

Did you say you were in Vancouver? Must have some snow up there now, yeah?

I just wanted to say too, you can spray the shell with the paint in the winter, it's just not as ideal is all. I have in freezing temps, and it works, but not like it does in warm weather.

Have fun with it Striker01!

Guest Greg67

Ok, that's not far from me actually, I am in Massachusetts. My order from Tower Hobbies took about two weeks to arrive, but that was the slower free shipping, by UPS. I'm interested to see what you think of the kit once you get it in the mail.

Hi Striker, hope your's turned up?

Here is our Hotshot 2. Saved from the bin when a close friend was moving house.

Pretty much standard except for the Humbrol Blue colour, an ESC instead of the mechanical controller and now an Integy 27t stock motor. Along with a full rebuild.

This thing gets used and abused and still comes back for more.

P1020665.jpg

Hi Striker, hope your's turned up?

Here is our Hotshot 2. Saved from the bin when a close friend was moving house.

Pretty much standard except for the Humbrol Blue colour, an ESC instead of the mechanical controller and now an Integy 27t stock motor. Along with a full rebuild.

This thing gets used and abused and still comes back for more.

P1020665.jpg

It's going real well so far (knock on wood) I connected the esc with my controlled and everything seems to be OK except one lil thing. I noticed that when I go full throttle forward, than immediately hit reverse, it isn't instant, there appears to be a delay before the motor start going in reverse. I dont know if this is a safety mechanism so the gearbox doesn't grenade?

Hi all, I'm new on this site. I've recently found my vintage 1985 HotShot in my parents' attic after it went into storage in 1992. The front and rear gearboxes are new but the rest of the car is original. Very excited about Tamiya's re-release of the kit as I am now able to get parts to restore it. In fact I bought a full kit today just so I'll have spares for the future; and a lot more economical than buying them piecemeal.

Here are some recent pictures taken of my HotShot:

With my Tundra 4x4 (2009 vintage). The HotShot has the Supershot hopup suspension and the undercarriage protector plate.

5298538434_48f917d8b9.jpg

Took it for a test run and the brittle plastic eyelets on the coilovers broke. Fortunately I found suitable modern replacements at a local hobby shop. I'll have to replace the front ones soon as I'm sure they are on the verge of breaking too.

5297194139_5d3c61712b.jpg

I even found the box containing the original monoshocks.

5304004753_c9db44c5e1.jpg

The new gearboxes allow more room to fit the e-clips over the output shafts, so if you intend to use the original c-clips, put a small metal washer over one shaft to take up the slack. Otherwise you will intermittently lose power to the wheels whilst the differentials slip.

It's going real well so far (knock on wood) I connected the esc with my controlled and everything seems to be OK except one lil thing. I noticed that when I go full throttle forward, than immediately hit reverse, it isn't instant, there appears to be a delay before the motor start going in reverse. I dont know if this is a safety mechanism so the gearbox doesn't grenade?

The Tamiya ESC should have a brake mode the first time you hit reverse (down stick or forward trigger). Then you bring it back to neutral and the second reverse motion activates reverse throttle. It does act as a safety feature, but brakes are nice too. :)

Guest Greg67
:) Been offline a week or so. Any updates Striker01?

;) Been offline a week or so. Any updates Striker01?

No quite. My account here got suspended for two weeks for a bizzare reason. As I mentioned in the PM, I'm in business and I love this car. A small amount of snow and some ice really make for a wicked time in an empty parking lot.

Does anyone know what I need in order to run my DF03 wheels?

My Super Shot with different shocks and losi springs.

Has Top Force Steering Cranks for no bump steer and max lock from side to side.

BoondallvintagebuggiesSupershot.jpg

Boondallbuggies17July2010Supershot.jpg

Photo155.jpg

Photo037.jpg

Does anyone know what I need in order to run my DF03 wheels?

All you need is a set of 12mm hex adaptors, to replace the red triangular ones. Eg, #53056 pin type wheel adapters.

- James

All you need is a set of 12mm hex adaptors, to replace the red triangular ones. Eg, #53056 pin type wheel adapters.

- James

Plus the aluminum wheel hubs from tamiya based on the research i've been doing. **I'd also love to get some anodized red 12mm hex adaptors to go with my red/white theme