Sign in to follow this  
Deanej10

M05 Setting Up For Carpet And Ball Diff Problems

Hi, I new to racing and I first started with an M03 which was a car park basher and not suited, so just bought a M05 pro with ball diff + running the Fiat 500 abarth shell.

After the 3rd race the diff has come apart, is there a right way around to put it in? ie that the motion of going forward would loosen it? as on the instructions it doesn't say which way around to put it in, or would thread lock on the screw and nut do the trick?

On the tyres that came with the kit the car slides a lot out the back, so I am running some Ansmann treaded tyres which have much better grip but the car just rolls all the time, any ideas?

The good thing about the Fiat shell is that it always rolls back on its wheels :rolleyes:

Which ball diff did you get? The TA03 one is the best for fit and forget. The other diffs need modding or maintenance.

To stop the traction roll, coat the side walls of the tyres in CA or super glue.

Cheers

traction rolling is usually a sign your ride height is too high; lower it as much as you can without bottoming out.

M05 ball diff shouldn't loosen itself... if yours does, get a new nyloc nut and degrease the screw before putting it on.

M03/TA03 ball diff just needs to be tightened all the way; you can threadlock or a touch of superglue but usually not needed.

If you want a really stiff diff action, replace the pile of wavy spring washers with a single 1150 bearing.

Quite a few ppl still using the TA03 diff in their M05s.

another way to stop grip roll is to turn the end points down so you only turn as much as you need!! makes hairpins a bit trickier but faster corners are ok, and add some weight to the rear, ive got 120g in the back of mine!!

Thanks for the advice, the diff is the M05 version, it had only been used once and is brand new.

I have put the diff now in the other way around now and added a little thread lock to the nut, hopefully this will help.

If you are using the M05 ball diff, upgrade to the TRF416 diff screw and nut. Much more reliable. Add a bit lock tight to the diff screw as well to ensure it does not come out as easily.

You can also shim the wheels to widen the track width a bit to help with traction rolls.

Hi, I new to racing and I first started with an M03 which was a car park basher and not suited, so just bought a M05 pro with ball diff + running the Fiat 500 abarth shell.

After the 3rd race the diff has come apart, is there a right way around to put it in? ie that the motion of going forward would loosen it? as on the instructions it doesn't say which way around to put it in, or would thread lock on the screw and nut do the trick?

On the tyres that came with the kit the car slides a lot out the back, so I am running some Ansmann treaded tyres which have much better grip but the car just rolls all the time, any ideas?

The good thing about the Fiat shell is that it always rolls back on its wheels :lol:

I think you must have been racing at Chippenham the other night... I was running the blue/grey Abarth.

I can't directly help with either of your problems, my car has the gear diff in it and I haven't ever played with the M-05 diff. What I do know is that there is an art to building ball diffs which comes from experience as much as anything else, fundamentally you need to pack the thrust assembly with as much black grease as you can get in there, while giving the main diff balls a light smear of silicone grease. Tightness should be hand tight and back 1/8th of a turn to start with.

Similar situation with the grip roll. I am running the Sweep slicks (I've had the car on 25s all round, 33s all round or a 25R/33F split) and it will still grip roll if provoked. As much as anything else a gentle touch on the controls is what is needed, there is a limit to how aggressive a turn in these narrow cars will accept! A transmitter with adjustments for dual rate and steering expo will help but if you go too far with those settings you will mask the fundamental problems and cause some new ones instead. Training the thumbs is more important than anything else.

You are welcome to have a look at my car any time, but I am still searching for a good all-round setup myself!

Dave A.

To solve your traction roll problems on carpet, try running hard tyres on the front (eg kit tyres) and a soft sticky tyre on the rear.. You will loose a bit of forward traction with the hard tyres on the front, but overall you will make time on the track, as you will spend more time with the shiny side up..

This set-up is what works for me..

Cheers

PS.. I still run (race) an M03 with a shimmed gear diff... I tried a ball diff, but found the gear diff to be more consistant on the track..

First thing to do to minimise grip roll is get rid of the Ansmann wheels IMHO, I too started with a stock M03 and went on to Ansmanns because they were cheap and frankly all I could lay my hands on at short notice. They were fine when I ran Nicads but as soon as I went to a LiPo the lack of weight in the chassis combined with the soft compound meant grip-roll all the time. Went to stock kit radials on the front and M-grips on the back with hard inserts or M-grip fronts and S-grip rears depending on how grippy the carpet is. Main thing is to keep the back grippier than the front and also I run stiffer front springs and soft rears. Dial the end point back on your steering (if you can) also. Adding some weight low down on the frame should also help.

Can't help with the diff as I run only a geared diff although it has a lexan washer (made from an offcut from the corner of the bodyshell moulding) in it to tighten it up quite a bit.