Sign in to follow this  
Tamiya-Guy

A Few Questions

Hey all, i need a bit of help regarding a frog i have.

1st question is, where is the best place to buy parts, i would really like to buy from australia?

2nd question is, with the body how can you take the paint off, and is there anyway to fill up holes in the body?

3rd question is, i would like to use the original tyres and rims, so whats the best way to take the paint off the wheels and whats the best way to clean the tyres?

Thanks

Hey all, i need a bit of help regarding a frog i have.

Note that the Frog has been re-issued, and some of the parts on the new Frog are a a bit different to the parts on the old one (eg, the biggest changes are the driveshafts and rear damper units). Most parts can be interchanged if you have an old Frog.

1st question is, where is the best place to buy parts, i would really like to buy from australia?

Plenty of hobby shops in Australia, much of a muchness depending on where in Australia you are, but it's much cheaper and easier to get the exact parts you need if you buy from overseas online and import. Most hobby shops won't carry parts for the Frog, they'll have to order them in specially. Tamiya items in Australia end up with a high markup from both the distributor (Toy Traders) and the hobby shop.

2nd question is, with the body how can you take the paint off, and is there anyway to fill up holes in the body?

Plenty of info in the forum about taking the paint off, use the search. 20%-30% Nitro fuel is the best. If your Frog has older paint on it, it should fall right off.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to fill holes in a clear polycarbonate body. Only option is to put a sticker over it, or cut a small round 'plug' from offcut polycarbonate. Paint it the required colour on the inside, then glue it to a slightly larget piece of polycarbonate, then glue this 'plug' from the inside of the body.

3rd question is, i would like to use the original tyres and rims, so whats the best way to take the paint off the wheels and whats the best way to clean the tyres?

New tyres are still available pretty cheaply since the Frog and Hornet were re-issued. But to restore old tires, use silicon oil or tablespoon of glycerine mixed in a glass of water.

- James

Thanks

Hi and welcome!

I find a good way to strip paint off wheels and hardbodies is using brake fluid, it doesn't harm the plastic and most paint bubbles up and washes off, unless its oil based that is...

Hope this helps

Dave