Sign in to follow this  
BalmyBaldwin

Breaking in Motors

Can any one tell me the best way to break in a new motor (without a rig) How long do I need to break it in for? Why do I need to break it in, (are there any performance issues related to method/load/timing whilst breaking in). This may all seem simple to some of you, but all the motors I have used in the past have been pre run-in and tuned.... This is the first time I have had a proper competition motor (although it is quite out of date)

Incidently, the motor I am about to break in is a Tamiy Dynatech 02H

Hangin' on

Personally i say don't bother. Performance gain is so minimal its not worth your time. I just get a new motor, slap it into my car and off i go. Other people may disagree but hey, works for me.

sorry nothing to add... just checking that this thread wasn't about stealing cars.

logo_member2.gif

MUch the same as above. My race motors are usually dismantled so I can flush the thick grease out of the bearings, then reassembled and run. After the first run I usually check the state of the motor and clean it out if necessary. These days you've gotta be really serious about your racing if you sit there running in your motor on a 4 cell pack first. If you are going to dismantle the motor, just make a mark on the side of the can so that when you reassemble the motor the endbell is located in the exact same position. Motors are usually tuned as they come these days.

quote:

...just checking that this thread wasn't about stealing cars.

id=quote>id=quote>

hnyuk nyuk nyuk (LOL) - good one Chris!

There used to be some debate as to 'free running' (no load) on motors being detrimental due to over-revving. Prior to this "water dipping" was all the rage.. but this is a fair few years ago now.