posicore

Another Sand Scorcher Build Up

Hi!

20 years ago I already owned a Grasshopper and a Manta Ray, but lost interest in rc cars after some time. But when a friend of mine posted the "Fast as Funk at Shell Island with Tamiya Sand Scorcher" video I just fell in love with the Sand Scorcher. I also have a real 65 beetle (follow link) and I´m into aircooled VWs since many years. I decided to buy a Re-Re Sand Scorcher and build a runner inspired by Bugs raced at Baja 500/1000 in the 70s. Some days ago I started the build up. I´ll post some photos of the progress frequently in this thread - so just stay tuned. Hope you´ll enjoy it. ;-)

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

The Sand Scorcher NIB...

P1080819.jpg

I started with the body first and ground the surface. The car will be a runner for sure and I want it to look more like a baja bug raced at Baja 500 in the 70s. So I removed the running boards and window rubbers. I assembled the chassis provisionally just to have a look at the body mounted on the chassis.

P1080822.jpg

The front fenders have been modified to look more like the original Bug-Eye Baja kits by Empi. The rear fenders also have slightly been modified.

P1080825.jpg

P1080831.jpg

P1080832.jpg

P1080838.jpg

P1080840.jpg

Last but not least I remodeled the body with filler in some areas.

P1080843.jpg

P1080844.jpg

P1080845.jpg

To be continued...

• Like 2

Got one coming from santa myself, cant wait to get it built, mines also going to be a runner, although im not looking forward to painting it lol.

Thanks, I´m glad to hear that you like it so far. ;-)

So, look what happend the last days:

The aluminium chassis plate (from TC-member Helge), the tranny box and front axle parts have been powder coated.

P1080870.jpg

All other chassis parts have been polished.

P1080872.jpg

After doing the whole polishing I was very glad to start assembling the chassis. At first I assembled the transmission (incl. a diff) and the rear axle. I replaced the standard motor by a Tamiya Sport Tuned Motor. Roll cage and rear cage were mounted and after all I fitted the transmission box to the chassis plate.

P1080873.jpg

P1080874.jpg

P1080875.jpg

P1080879.jpg

Then I assembled the front axle and mounted it on the chassis plate. The front post with servo saver also has been attached to the chassis plate.

P1080883.jpg

P1080885.jpg

P1080886.jpg

I replaced the original screws of the kit by a set of stainless screws by CRP.

That´s the status quo. Next step will be assembling the shocks and to complete the chassis.

Meanwhile I´m racking my brain over a paint scheme for the body... It won´t be a box art design and I think it will contain some red, orange and white.

To be continued... ;-)

• Like 1

"The aluminium chassis plate (from TC-member Helge), the tranny box and front axle parts have been powder coated".

Wow, great job so far.... looks very similar to mine. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...5&sid=32228

Where did you get the powder coating done, was it local, are you in the UK.. I painted mine (couldn't find a powder coater interested)

What you using for shocks...??

Kept the updates coming, loving it so far..

Thanks! I saw your Scorcher chassis in the showroom and it was really inspirational. ;-) I like the combination of black and polished parts very much.

The powder coating was done by a local in Hamburg, Germany.

I´ll use the stock shocks at first.

How on earth are you able to get those pieces polished so well?!!!

Looks amazing!

Cheers,

Skottoman

How on earth are you able to get those pieces polished so well?!!!

Looks amazing!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Lots of time, a dremel, polish and elbow grease,

go on give it a try....

Steve

I´ll use the stock shocks at first.

The stock shocks are awful. Everyone says theirs leaks and, at first, mine were fine. That was until I ran it once. Now they leak like nothing I've ever had before. Apparently fitting them upside down helps a little but is by no means a solution to this problem.

ive recently built mine up, still awaiting painting, mine leak like mad and ive not even run it yet, the shocks are very poorly designed, think they could have done something better, would have been better with friction dampers fitted like on the hi-lifts etc, just plain poor, would like to know if anyone has found some shocks that fit straight on without modification and that look close to originals.

heres my build

I really like how you did the fenders and the chassis top notch too. just wondering on the progress can't wait to see more!

The chassis has been finished now. The shocks were painted and assembled, but they are really ****. They don´t really work. The only thing about them is that they are looking very scale. But I guess I´ll order better ones in the future.

The RC box is sitting right on the chassis plate and the wheels are also mounted and looking very good. ;-)

P1090103.jpg

P1090104.jpg

P1090105.jpg

P1090106.jpg

I´ll start painting the body in March or April when it´s warm outside. I don´t wanna paint the body inside my home. I´m still high from painting the shocks and wheels some weeks ago. ;-)

• Like 1

Can't believe when looking at these pictures. I have a re-re bodyset here (that I will start working on sometime next May) which I already marked to cut exactly like you did in these pictures. We had the same ideas! Only difference will be that I will leave the sidesteps on.

Anyway, I think your work is truly excellent mate, and I would be very interested in seeing how you finished this Baja bug. Please share some more pictures of it when you can.

I can never get enough of these custom builds. Everyone always brings a different take on something. I really like the way you cut the front arches - they look great. Also the red shocks really stand out on the black/chrome chassis.

roll on the hot weather so we can see this one painted :)

James.

Was wondering if you finished this VW bug? I am very much curious about the final results!

You all have a great week! :rolleyes:

Was wondering if you finished this VW bug? I am very much curious about the final results!
I'm Also Curious

Unfortunately I don´t have enough time to finish this due to other projects. So this Sand Scorcher is for sale. Just drop me a line, if you are interested!

WoW, last post 7 years ago ? Well, I'm gonna make a post and see if anyone is still around (alive) on here.

Ran across my old Superchamp chassis the other day, one I've had since 83, and started sprucing it up. Next thing I know I've got a new Beetle body and a RC case for it.

Started looking around to see what I could find on the little guy and found this site. Next thing I know I'm moding the it, got rid of the rest of the hood then found this post were the front fenders

had been clipped so guess what I just got thru doing ? Yep, clipped fenders on mine, and it looks so much better !

I hope there's still someone around here to talk to,

later, Rick...............

11 hours ago, Kevin_Mc said:

That looks immense!

Thanks. I’ve built a few now. 

But im working on a new Baja racer. I should say the last one took 2 years. And the chassis has even begun yet. But the idea and concept is in my brain somewhere 😃 

you got any pics of yours.