Sign in to follow this  
Guest Greg67

Esc Problem?

Guest Greg67

i just got my futaba MC330cr in the mail. I hooke it up to my C car...thing is...I power my radio on, then the esc...*vvvrrrrrooooooommmmmm*...the esc makes the motor go full throttle.

Odd thing is, I turn the trottle knob on my radio up to "H", or high, and the wheels slow down a bit, but not completely.

Also the radio will not make the wheels go faster or slower, only turning the throttle knob will slow down the wheels, but it has a reverse effect.

I am using a futaba r122JE, that I bought new. I also tried my three radios out, thinking it might be the radio, but it is the same effect always.

Did I buy a busted ESC? I think it might be the ESC is bustted.

Any ideas guys? :P

Guest Greg67

Basically the trigger on the radio has no effect on speed. The only thing that effects speed of the wheels is the throttle trim. All my radios work 100%, so the only thing I can think is it is a bad esc...unless the new receiver is bad or something?

Guest Greg67

Tired another receiver, and I had the same problem, it won;t respond to the trigger. I think the esc is broken.

Guest Greg67

Well I set it up same way any others go, battery leads to the motor, channel two on the receiver. Flipped crystals around, tried all the combos i can think of.

I got it to where holding the trigger in, stops it, and letting off the trigger speeds up. but could not get it to work correctly. There is supposed to be a reverse on it, never responded. the trigger response was basically useless.

Is there something I might be missing on the setting up of it? It didn't come with instructions, but I thought it was a plug and go. :P

try reversing the throttle channel or calibrate the esc, if the esc is contriolling the motor (even if its not right) it is working.

Did you run the ESC setup to match the channel's range to the ESC? Is the ESC plugged with the white wire toward the middle of the reciever?

Unplug the motor!

Turn on the transmitter then the car. Centre the throttle trim on the transmitter, leave the trigger in neutral. Press and hold the 'set' button on the ESC until the LED starts blinking.

Pull and hold full throttle forward, then press the ESC 'set' button. The ESC's LED should now 'double flash'.

Push and hold full reverse, then press the ESC 'set' button. The ESC LED should go out which indicates setup complete.

Now plug the motor back in and try it again.

To toggle the reverse disable (setting used for racing), while holding the 'set' button, turn the ESC switch on.

Guest Greg67

Ozace, I will do that right now, and report back in a few minutes, thank you for your help!

Guest Greg67

:P Now we are getting somewhere. I did switch the throttle switch, and it now does not engage the throttle as soon as the esc is switched on, the radio now controls the forward speed.

Only problem now is, reverse is not working. If i understand correctly the esc has reverse, which is one of the reasons I bought it. I'll try another radio and see if I can get reverse to work or not. Unless there is something I am missing here?

Thank you very much for the help!

Guest Greg67

TA-Mark, I just saw your post I will do what you suggested, and report back.

Guest Greg67

Hi TA-Mark,

I am using a vintage adspec controller, which I normally use.

I followed you instructions, but at the first step, the esc never blinks, even holding the "set" button down for over a minute.

I don't know what to do.

Guest Greg67

I'm going to try to set it up with my expec radio following your instructions. The Adspec does not have any N/R switches. Maybe the esc is not compatiable with an adspec controller because of that?

Guest Greg67

Tried with the expec, and followed your instructions for setting it. The light never blinks on the esc when I hold it in. It won;t go past the first step. I hve it connected to Channel 2 on the receiver.

Guest Greg67

Now, I turn the esc on when hooked up to the motor, it just goes into full throttle without even touching the trigger on the radio.

Yes, the white wire is toward the middle of the receiver, I forgot to say that.

I tried running the set-up you instructed, on both channel 2, and 1, and with all three radios, and all three sets of crystals, in all three different radios. I've tried every combination following your instructions, and the esc just does not respond to it. Same thing, over and over, turn the car on, and full trottle engages instantly.

I've got one of these that did the same, I unplugged everything and started again after a few hours and it set up fine.

The only fault I could think of is if the push button on the ESC has failed, or it could be damp.

Guest Greg67

I've been going at it a while now. And no good results. It might be the button is not working. It's odd as the esc beeps when plugged into the motor and when the radio is on. I think that must be because it isn;t set-up.

The seller I bought it from said that he had it sitting a while, and would accept a return. I think that is the best solution right now. :P Bummer. Big headache from the sport tuned screaming in my room. Suprised it hasn;t woken up my parents!

Thanks for the help guys, it seems the esc is faulty.

I'm going to stick with buying new, used is too unpredictable. Should have listened to swarm when he advised me that ones mans treasure is another mans junk. something like that. I'm going to follow that advice from now on, and stick with new things!

Once again, thank you guys for all your help! I'll follow your instructions TA-Mark when the new esc arrives in the mail. Have a good day fellas!

I've had button problems on one of my PC-Nolimit ESCs too. Press the button and it doesn't seem to respond and you need to hold hard and wiggle on the button to get it to make contact on the circuit board underneath.

If the LED isn't blinking at the first step, then there's no much point to continuing until it does, or until the seller replaces it.

Guest Greg67

yup, it doesn;t blink at the first step, even holding it for minutes. Seller offered another "used" replacement, but too much of a headache. I think I am just going to forget about using a 19t motor, and buy a sport tuned and use a TEU. It's more than i am willing to spend to have to buy a new esc to handle a 19t, just for a little more power. Buyer beware i guess. Try to save money, and comes around to bite ya and wastes time. Oh well, chaulk it up to another bad auction on Ebay. I am done with Ebay after this. Just too much fraud on there. I am buying at reputable online stores only now. i don;t seem to be smart enough to recognize scams anymore.

No sense in getting down over it, holidays are here.

Ta-Mark, you help me all the time, it's very appreciated! thank you for sharing so much knowledge and teaching me a lot about R/Cs!!

I wish you and everyone else here, and their family and friends a happy holiday!

Does the ESC blink (or double blink) when it's first turned on? Also, does it blink continually when the ESC is on and the transmitter is off?

The LED blinks should be accompanied by beeps only when the motor is connected.

330 can be a bit finicky with signals from RX, if its outside of what it expects it just exits from programming mode.

Sometimes you have to tone down your End Points (especially on the brake setting) for it to accept.

reverse can also be switched on/off... i think its hold down the button whilst turning it on, toggles the setting

Guest Greg67
Does the ESC blink (or double blink) when it's first turned on? Also, does it blink continually when the ESC is on and the transmitter is off?

The LED blinks should be accompanied by beeps only when the motor is connected.

when the transmitter is on, and the esc on, and not attached to the motor, it doesn't blink at all when turned on, just a solid red light.

when the esc is on, and not attached to the motor, and the transmitter is off, the light continously blinks.

yes, it only blinks when connected to the motor.

Guest Greg67

Alright, just went through your steps TA-Mark, the ones you mentioned before, and then hooked it up to the motor. It now works in forward, but not in reverse. :D Things are looking up! Tonysmini, good advice to just get up and walk away a few hours and come back.

The esc did what you said it should TA-Mark. The light shut off after putting the trigger in reverse too.

WillyChang, I'll try to press the esc button and see if I can get reverse to work.

I am going to google search for a manual to see if I can get the reverse setting to work. first I am going to message the ebay seller, and see if he has any advice, but most importantly let him know that at least forward works, and the esc responded to the radio. If forward is working, reverse should too I think, just have to figure out how.

Guys, you're livesavers! thanks!

Greg67... step away from the keyboard!

Use the computer to find manuals for the items you have. The spend a little time with your stuff learning how to use it yourself. Asking so many questions and doing everything that everyone tells you all at once will only confuse you.

Since you do not seem to have much experience, your suggestion to yourself that you should buy more new stuff is a good one. Vintage equipment is nice to play with, but it can be worn out or faulty by the time you get it. If you don't have an understanding of how things are supposed to work, you will never get the maximum enjoyment out of it.

Guest Greg67

I think you misunderstand me, I do like the cvintage stuff, that is why i buy it, I want to learn about it, and I do enjoy it, or I wouldn't waste my time.

Listening to everyone's advice is a great gift, as info is not easy to find online. Without everyone here, I would not be able to progress and understand about electronics, design, and function. i've an interest in such things, and nobody to talk to about it in person. I live in a rural area. So I can hang out and discuss. I might be younger, and just beginning, but I'm interested in this stuff. I'm happy the site is here, and nice club members share the curiousity about things. I'm greatful for everyones kindness here, I learn a lot, and enjoy the friendship here. People's designs and inventions are amazing, i spend hours just browsing showrooms, topics, etc. For me anyway it increases my appreciation. That's me anyway :D

Guest Greg67

:D Fixed! Followed your advice WillyChang! Held down the button while turning it on, then engaged reverse...bang-o!!

Guys, again, thank you for helping me to understand and get things up and working. I couldn't figure it out without your help! it's like teaching a guy to fish, now I'll know from now on how esc's are set-up, and how things work.

Enjoy your evening guys, thank you!

EDIT: For future reference in case anyone is reading this, manual for futaba mc330cr, can be found here:

http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/futm0932-manual.pdf