SteelRat

Rc New Year Resolutions

My project will be the new 2011 Avante and a Marui Ninja project creating a new race breed chassis underneath the Ninja body!

Lmao at everyone saying "No more cars/projects!" :unsure:

Right, I need to strip and rebuild my ex-racer Avante 2001, and get a repro shell for it.

Also need to strip, rebuild and paint my Toyota Toms 84c.

And finally build a Porsche 956 from all my spares

I still need to decide what to do with my Bullhead... Restore + keep, or sell as its too big for the shelf??

Fit larger shelf.

Restore.

Mod.

Bash.

Smiles all round :lol:

1. Buy a re-re Avante.

2. Run the pants off said Avante.

3. Put a layer of clay over my backyard track.

4. Buy a CNC mill so I can make all those parts I just can't buy.

5. Build a 1:4 scale RC ride-on mower... I hate mowing the grass.

Re 4, did you win the lottery ??? :lol: . Most of these machines are 100K plus new, and you need 3 phase / tooling, etc, etc :lol:

Re 5, Surely with the Australian love of muscle cars, a V8 lawn mower would be more approriate. It's a win/win. You get the lawn mowed in half the time, and grin the whole time. :unsure:

Re 4, did you win the lottery ??? :lol: . Most of these machines are 100K plus new, and you need 3 phase / tooling, etc, etc :lol:

I wish :unsure:

100K buys you something large enough to machine a 1:1's engine block. 15K gets you something a touch smaller, suitable for doing RC size parts (not quite big enough to do an entire 1:10 RC body). 3 Axis CNC Mill and CNC Lathe in the one unit. Just perfect for doing shafts, gears, suspension, gearbox casings and cutting out carbon fibre/alloy chassis plates.

I have 3 phase in the workshop, not that I have anything that can use it. The truck company that I used to lease the workshop to had it installed for their repair equipment.

Re 5, Surely with the Australian love of muscle cars, a V8 lawn mower would be more approriate. It's a win/win. You get the lawn mowed in half the time, and grin the whole time. :lol:

Sounds like fun, but a regular ride-on is too big to get around the track without scalping the grass on the contoured landscaping in places. It's push mower territory only. 1:4 scale ride-on model would be just about the right size, and I can sit in the shade and slurp down a few beers while it does all the work.

Now I am thinking about getting a clod or wheely king. The wheely king is cheaper with all electronics and stuff, The clod is a beast so, I don't know. Any suggestions.

Now I am thinking about getting a clod or wheely king. The wheely king is cheaper with all electronics and stuff, The clod is a beast so, I don't know. Any suggestions.

Clod. Every time. Especially since it's very much a limited edition now, due to the announcement that it's been discontinued. Add to that, that the Clod has generated it's very own "class" of RC. Build one, and you open yourself up to a world of modding and personalisation unmatched by any other RC car.

I wish :unsure:

100K buys you something large enough to machine a 1:1's engine block. 15K gets you something a touch smaller, suitable for doing RC size parts (not quite big enough to do an entire 1:10 RC body). 3 Axis CNC Mill and CNC Lathe in the one unit. Just perfect for doing shafts, gears, suspension, gearbox casings and cutting out carbon fibre/alloy chassis plates.

I have 3 phase in the workshop, not that I have anything that can use it. The truck company that I used to lease the workshop to had it installed for their repair equipment.

Sounds like fun, but a regular ride-on is too big to get around the track without scalping the grass on the contoured landscaping in places. It's push mower territory only. 1:4 scale ride-on model would be just about the right size, and I can sit in the shade and slurp down a few beers while it does all the work.

15K is still a lot of wedge :lol: . I paid £500 for a second hand single phase manual mini mill (An older version of this http://www.warco.co.uk/Economy-Milling-Dri...63F8F120F.aspx# ) , and £160 for a vintage model makers lathe from the early 50s. Doesn't give anywhere near the capabilities of a CNC but you can still do a lot with it on a much smaller budget. I would however love to get CNC equipment, but it's just way out of my budget. I'm lucky that I have a friend who occasionaly lets me root throough his scrap bins for aluminium and plastic offcuts, and I get old cutters from him as well. I'd like to get a CNC conversion for my mill, but again the cost is phenomenal. You can do quite a lot with it just by fitting DROs to help with accurate measuring without having to worry about backlash. I also have a small rotary table for doing circular components that won't fit in the lathe. You cannot beat building your own components.

You get far more from a job when you've put a lot of time and effort into it. I also like the fact I don't have to wait for a manufacturer to have the same ideas I do before I can try them out. E.g I'm very pleased with the 1 way roller I've fitted in the front axle of my TXT-1. I've used it several times now and there is no sign of the torque being too much for the bearings. The car turns seems to turn much more tightly now, it has a 2m turning circle using just 2 wheel steering on the front axle. Hope you get one anyway, it will be nice to see more home build projects on here.

Clod. Every time. Especially since it's very much a limited edition now, due to the announcement that it's been discontinued. Add to that, that the Clod has generated it's very own "class" of RC. Build one, and you open yourself up to a world of modding and personalisation unmatched by any other RC car.

Whaaaaaat ??? :unsure: When was the super clod discontinued ??

Probably a bit early to be asking this, but have you decided on what kits or projects you're going to be focusing on next year? (and I realise this thread is likely to be dominated by Avante lovers :unsure:)

For me it'll be:

SCX10 based Land Rover scaler

a CC01 crawler of some description

TXT-1 (money permitting)

hay mate could you keep me updated on you land rover as i would like to build one form the same kit and if you want i have made a cc01 crawler if you need any help.

cheers michael

Whaaaaaat ??? :( When was the super clod discontinued ??

Dang, there goes my "stop buying new kits" resolution again. Clod was on my wait list.

Whaaaaaat ??? :( When was the super clod discontinued ??

Couple of weeks ago. Apparently due to safety concerns about the MSC (although I'm not sure how much of that is rumour and how much is truth). You can still by the metal plate edition, but the standard Super Clod is no more. I'd imagine there's a fair few of them still kicking about, and of course the clod parts market is still in full swing, so I can't imagine getting hold of one in it's current guise is going to be difficult for a good while yet. Additionally, of course, there's a strong possibility that Tamiya could re-re it, call it a "King Clodbuster", ship it with an ESC, different decals, yada yada, and sell it again as a third incarnation. Being the flagship kit that it is, I can't imagine they'd just stop making it just like that.

Fit larger shelf.

Restore.

Mod.

Bash.

Smiles all round :(

Well that's me told lol

Couple of weeks ago. Apparently due to safety concerns about the MSC (although I'm not sure how much of that is rumour and how much is truth). You can still by the metal plate edition, but the standard Super Clod is no more. I'd imagine there's a fair few of them still kicking about, and of course the clod parts market is still in full swing, so I can't imagine getting hold of one in it's current guise is going to be difficult for a good while yet. Additionally, of course, there's a strong possibility that Tamiya could re-re it, call it a "King Clodbuster", ship it with an ESC, different decals, yada yada, and sell it again as a third incarnation. Being the flagship kit that it is, I can't imagine they'd just stop making it just like that.

They've seen the one you've got. The 'King Clod' will be a txt chassis with 4 links onto big axle guards on clod axles/gearboxes :(:)

I plan to remodel the entire down stairs half of my house. Can't really start the project until spring. Its just cold right now. :)

Hmmm

1) Paint and Decal Celica Grb

2) Decal Pajero 58044

3) Strip Tornado shell, repaint in white

4) Sell Blue painted Booma body and paint new Booma shell boxart

5) Paint Boxart Hornet bodyshell

6) Find early Lancia 037 chassis

7) Paint and fix multiple drivers into cars

8) Paint and decal Mudblaster shell

9) Restore Terra Scorcher

10) Paint and decal Thundershot

11) Drive Herbie Sand Scorcher up the isle for our wedding

12) Restore Thunder Dragon

13) Restore Super Dragon

14) Acquire Fire Dragon

15) Restore Grasshopper Super G, decal shell

16) Restore Super Sabre project

17) Restore Booma project 1

18) Restore Booma project 2

19) Restore Wild One project

20) trade Mountaineer chassis for Hilux

21) Build NIB XR311

22) Build NIB Top Force

23) Decal Sand Scorcher

24) Sell NIB Sand Scorcher rere

25) Restore early Williams F1

26) Finish 2 Seater Buggy Champ project

27) Start shortee Pumpkin project on WW1 M38 chassis

28) Sell Optima Mid

29) Buy Avante rere or 2

30) Finish Holiday Buggy Restoration

31) Sell half a dozen cars or so

32) Paint and Decal BMW March F2

33) Paint and Decal Porsche 58001 Bodyset

Probably a few more things I'd like to accomplish, the list is already long as I've been away from my collection for 8 months so far, might be sometime yet before we are re-acquainted. Have my work cut out for me!

James

Hmmmm... now that most of my mini-projects are done (1/16, 1/18 sized) hopefully I'll get a chance to put time onto some of the 1/10s. Of course, I also have to fit in a wedding, a house purchase, and mancave/project room within said new house, ride my bike more, lose 20 pounds, get a raise at my job, etc.