Sign in to follow this  
bx4525

What Grid Sandpaper?

Hey guys what grid sandpaper can I use to remove paint and smooth out the plastic body of a monster beetle?

before you try sanding it, have a go with brake fluid (dot 4) to strip the paint.

once you have the body stripped, give it a generous coat of primer and see what you are working with, and fill / smooth / sand from there.

in my experience brake fluid eats the paint right off.

it doesn't touch some types of paint though. but, if it works with the paint that yours is done in, you will be very pleased with the results.

when (if) you are wet sanding, wrap the paper around a rag and dip it in water. the rag will hold a good "stock" of water to stop the paper clogging up.

if you use body filler to fill some deep gouges, DO NOT wet sand it - only dry sand body filler. getting it wet will just make it mad. and you won't like it when it's mad!

for dry sanding, fold the paper 3 ways (fold it over a 1/3, then over again) - this way the paper grips on itself and is easier to use.

I use 320 to start with. It does leave little scratches, but primer fills them right in. Paint does not. I use 1500 grit for between coats and for my very last coat. I cut it down with 6000 micro-mesh. Then polish to glass like finish. I use the 1500 mostly. 320 only for stripping paint. Brake fluid works better.

just on the technical side ..its called '' grit '' the finer the grit the smoother the paper .. like if you were to sand paper your forehead , you would use 2000 grit , not 60 ..lol

Sorry guys I did mean grit. Typo but everyone understood which is all that mattered. LOL Very helpful advice guys thanks.