dan12

How To Get A Silvercan To Scream?

A tall bridge... :lol:

The terminal velocity of a buggy is only about 62MPH so the bridge would need to be reasonably high to even achieve 30MPH. "Throwing" it off a bridge might help.

But I digress sorry OP.

LOL

Would live to know how this number was worked out! That's part of a video/experiment I never want to see unless its a cheap China knockoff with fireworks attached.

LOL

Would live to know how this number was worked out! That's part of a video/experiment I never want to see unless its a cheap China knockoff with fireworks attached.

Using guesstimates:

Mass: 1.5Kg

Cross sectional area: 0.05m² (dropped front wheels facing down)

Drag coefficient: 0.5 (somewhere between a car and a cyclist - could be higher, would reduce Tv)

Air density: Sea level

Gravity: 1

6e306f943fc864e7ee41a1b3a7f16172.png

62.6555MPH

Now, calculating the distance it takes to reach terminal velocity is more complex but it would normally hit 50% of it's terminal velocity over a relatively short distance, probably less than 5 seconds. So... now that I think about it more, the bridge wouldn't need to be too high... say 45/50 meters. :lol:

Ok guy's, i know the fighter buggy isnt the fastest, but its very light at the front and has plenty of potential!

I only bash really, but want to give it a tear up at a local rc track, if i can find one local(Cambridge).

I was thinking of this set up; Superstock RZ, teu101 and a 2s lipo.

I would use the silvercan on a 2s untill it brakes.

Let me know what you think of the set up.

Thanks

Dan

Ok guy's, i know the fighter buggy isnt the fastest, but its very light at the front and has plenty of potential!

I only bash really, but want to give it a tear up at a local rc track, if i can find one local(Cambridge).

Thanks

Dan

You are still going to need a Lipo cutoff or alarm and the ESC may or may not be able to handle that motor. For the cost of a RZ and a lipo alarm/cutoff, you're approaching approx. 75% of the cost of an EZ Run combo that would meet your goals and then some. PLus if you decided down the road that you wanted to run 3S lipo, you could with no issues.

Mark

Superstock RZ is a high rev (27500rpm), but also high torque motor (500g/cm).

I know its been discussed before but at 23T and such high torque your ESC is in danger ! The RZ motor will be producing a lot more power than the Ansmann Clash 21T - good for wheelies, good for outright speed, BUT things are going to get hot !

Your £40 outlay on a RZ motor is better saved for a brushless upgrade IMO, and I know thats been suggested before.

Others may comment on the life of your gearbox with so much more motor torque over the silvercan.

Thanks

Dan

Sorry Dan if you interpreted it as having a poke at your plan, no, I just found the bridge question an interesting one. Indeed I think your plan is perfectly fine, I'd also stick with the silver can and see what I could get out of it.

I don't the the 101 will handle the 3s if it hasn't been mentioned before, the 2s should be okay.

Are you using a full set of bearings in the car? That will make more of a difference than just about anything else.

How about i stick a 2s in and see what happens?

If it is still slow then i could put a hotter motor in, maby you guys could suggest something.

What top speed would i get out of the silvercan on 2s lipo?

Anyways if i go lipo then i would wire up a lipo cut off.

I just want something to bash and have fun with and a few laps of the track.

cheers

If it is still slow then i could put a hotter motor in, maby you guys could suggest something.

cheers

Is it full of bearings? This is actually the most important question... :lol: (seriously).

And also quite seriously... since you're on a limited budget, why not forgo the LiPo and cut-off and get an inexpensive but powerful NiMh battery and and thrash the bejesus out of it? Save your pennies and when you really appreciate how much power you want/need go LiPo/brushless?

A silver can, bearings and a good battery won't blow your socks off but it a great way to understand what you really want. You can make incremental changes with different pinions.

cheers

beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

Your mind seems to be made up. I doubt you will see much difference by simply switching batteries. Don't forget the Lipo cutoff/alarm if you go down this route.

Mark

You might find you get more speed out of your motor just by swapping the Tamiya battery plugs over to something better like Deans or Traxxas plugs. It worked a treat on my Falcon and TB01s.

Hey Dan,

If nothing else you've confirmed that in your current setup the silver can is worth nothing to you. So do what you can to it til you eventually kill it. If along the way the esc fails then you can always replace it with a £17 mtroniks sport auto 20 (20 turn limit) for use with a hotter motor like a tamiya rz, or take the route to brushless.

One things for sure it'll be fun seeing what transpires!

Yes, your all right!

I should get a 4500mah NiMH and 19t pinion and see how it goes.

If it is still very slow then i will fit a sport tuned motor.

Does anyone use a silvercan at the tracks?

Thanks alot guys

Dan

Many races are specifically for the silver can to keep the racing novice friendly and close.

I race a M03 with 6 mates most weeks and we have chosen silver can as the standard.

For a twisty track its fast enough.

if you direct-drive a 540 to about 2.5:1 ... you might be surprised how fast it'll go IN A (LONG!) STRAIGHT LINE. 3S lipo would help even more :D

Where I race Mini's at Weeting, we run the silver can, 540J or Sport Tuned. There is so much variance in silver can performance that some are as fast or faster than the ST.

I am going to water dip it in a large jug to get the rubbish out of it then re-oil it.

Also run a good quality NIMH pack from maby team orion, will 3300 be ok as i am using Delta Pro Peak 2500 and only charges up to 3.5ah?

I will gear it up to 20t and then just thrash it untill it dies! Traxxas connectors will be soldiered on aswell for extra current.

I hope it will go well after all this effort.

Does this sound good?

thanks

Hi all

Anyone know the mabuchi or johnson specs with a 8.4v?

thanks

Ordered my 8.4v 3000 pack and traxxas connecters. I have also bought a pinion set aswell.

Ill let you know how it goes.

Dan

Ill let you know how it goes.

Dan

I hope you do, i'm watching your trials with much interest.

BTW - i just bought an EZRun brushless ESC, 4300kV motror and program card for £41 delivered, or less than a Tamiya dirt tuned and new ESC was going to cost me !

BTW - i just bought an EZRun brushless ESC, 4300kV motror and program card for £41 delivered, or less than a Tamiya dirt tuned and new ESC was going to cost me !

Nice one!

Ill get the same soon, when my silvercan is broken!

Dan,

You still haven't answered the question of whether or not your Receiver has BEC? If not, you will probably fry your Receiver or servo before the silver can. The risk of this just jumped when you decided to run 8.4V instead of 7.2V.

Mark

Can I ask where from?

Dan,

You still haven't answered the question of whether or not your Receiver has BEC? If not, you will probably fry your Receiver or servo before the silver can. The risk of this just jumped when you decided to run 8.4V instead of 7.2V.

Mark

Ooh yes, i do have BEC.

Thanks

Can I ask where from?

eBay, supplied from HK although a lot of the correspondence is in german!

Priced at 24.98euros with 23.98 euros shipping. Ordered late friday afternoon and they supposedly dispatched Saturday. Seller name demonerr