Sign in to follow this  
fabia

Ps Paint

As above really, had a new Rising Storm for Christmas and would like to paint it, too cold in garage so was thinking of the house, anyone say how strong the fumes are ?

Cheers

As above really, had a new Rising Storm for Christmas and would like to paint it, too cold in garage so was thinking of the house, anyone say how strong the fumes are ?

Cheers

I sometimes paint with TS paints in the basement, and the whole house smells for a while. The wife hates that! I don't recall the PS being as nasty smelling, but if I paint a body in the basement with PS, can still smell it in the house.

Really depends on how many coats, and how much spray you're using. A small body like the rising storm might not be too bad. I'd just do a few sweeps with the can at a time, and let the smell disperse between sprayings.

Cheers,

Skottoman

Gently heat the can in hot (not boiling) tap water. Spray out side. I used to do it on crisp january Aberdeen ( Scotland ) mornings. No dramas. Its the humidity thats the problem. If the air is humid and close to its dew point temperature, then the expansion of the propellent gas and the evaporative effect of the solvents in the paint, can condense water vapour into water droplets and bingo, nay a happy chappy. However, cold and dry = less problemos. Only other consideration is the paint will be more likly to bleed and run due to slower thermal solvent release.

If you want inspiration for a hippy paint scheme, it's no problem... Just spray and inhale! ;)I don't want to be held responsible for the headache or any medical problems though :)

Anyway, yeah, the stuff smells pretty nasty to most people - However, most of the fumes are created when painting and in say the first 10 minutes of drying. After that, you won't smell the body if you take it to a warmer room.

I don't think it smells particularly bad but I really wouldn't spray without proper ventilation... and I'm considering getting myself a dust mask for when I spray because I always find paint residue in my nostrils for days afterwards. It's particularly fun when I've sprayed a colour like purple or blue. It looks like I'm having a nose bleed in a different colour! :)