Sign in to follow this  
amica

Tamiya Hornet - Rear Tyres

Hi this is my first post on these forums! I got a Hornet for Christmas and the build is almost finished however ive come across a little program. I just cannot get the rear tyres on the wheels! Ive tried the way it shows you in the manual and various other ways including brute force and ignorance but just cannot get it to fit!!

Can anyone recomend a way that they know to work please. All Ive managed to achieve is sore fingers and a lot of swearing lol.

I assume it's the insert that's the problem?

I tend to put the insert into the tyre at 90 degrees, then turn it around and in. The two outer parts the just sit in place..

I assume it's the insert that's the problem?

I tend to put the insert into the tyre at 90 degrees, then turn it around and in. The two outer parts the just sit in place..

Yes you're right its the insert. The manual says to turn it 90 degrees but that doesnt work, well not for me anyway.

Yes you're right its the insert. The manual says to turn it 90 degrees but that doesnt work, well not for me anyway.

If my experience with other buugy tyres is anything to go by then turning through 90' is a bid of a misnomer. I managed to force mine around about 70', then had to pull at the tyre walls to lift the tyre wall over the rim edge; then seat the other side afterwards. The good news once on, they aren't coming off !

i built my scorcher the other day, these have similar grasshopper wheels and tyres, you get a good workout trying to get them in for sure, stick with.

i built my scorcher the other day, these have similar grasshopper wheels and tyres, you get a good workout trying to get them in for sure, stick with.

Ill give it another go tonight! Ive been sticking with it since Monday though lol.

You could immerse the tyres in some hand hot water for a few minutes first - this might soften them a little to make fitting easier.

Just to let you know that my tyres are now on my wheels, woooohooo!!!!! I brought them in to work and challanged a colleague to do it and he succeeded in only 5 mins lol.

• Like 1

Hi this is my first post on these forums! I got a Hornet for Christmas and the build is almost finished however ive come across a little program. I just cannot get the rear tyres on the wheels! Ive tried the way it shows you in the manual and various other ways including brute force and ignorance but just cannot get it to fit!!

Can anyone recomend a way that they know to work please. All Ive managed to achieve is sore fingers and a lot of swearing lol.

Hi there ,

Push the wheel through the tyre sideways, and when it pops through turn the wheel so its straight again, "good luck".

They are quite a tight fit to be honest , keep trying,

Dan.

Hi there ,

Push the wheel through the tyre sideways, and when it pops through turn the wheel so its straight again, "good luck".

They are quite a tight fit to be honest , keep trying,

Dan.

You really arent reading these threads first are you LOL? This was sorted im Jan!

Oh man are the a b!?@ch! I painted mine with a few coats of chrome color. That certainly won't help.  I'm going to try the hot water trick. 

In the future. Let the tire soak in hot water for a few minute soften them up then coat them in dish soap.  Next take the insert and turn it on its side and it'll pop right in. 

Rinse to get the soap off and dry with a towel. 

I used two metal ladel handles with curved ends for hanging up. I then got someone to stretch the tyre by hooking them in either side of the tyre and pulling it open. The wheel slipped into the tyre really easily then.

20151020_110402_zpso3x4kro7.jpg