Sign in to follow this  
amica

Tamiya Wild One

This was my 1st RC car when I was about 15. Do you think Tamiya would ever re release this? I would love to build one again.

This was my 1st RC car when I was about 15. Do you think Tamiya would ever re release this? I would love to build one again.

Maybe...... :), but then again there's a lot of other kits they could re-release beforehand so it might be a long wait. Or Tamiya might stop their re-release program and concentrate on new ones.

For £3 might be worth a punt texting Mystic Meg --> http://mysticmeg.thesun.co.uk/app/page/mobile ;);)

:lol:

Although I'm not a god, I can say with a high degree of certainty that yes, it will. When? Maybe six months from now or maybe in five years. It is anybody's guess. I will state that I was right with calling the Avante ~ a year ago.

These re-releases are important for Tamiya, and there is no reason to stop unless cost or some technical issue arises that prevents a car from being re-re. The Wild one is mostly plastic, even more so with the FAV. We could actually see the FAV come out first as a "test the waters" release.

With that said. I would not build any original Wild One, or any other vintage, with the assumption that big T. will release it again.

We have entered a second "golden age" for Tamiya cars.

Hope this makes you feel better :lol:

I hope they do re-release it. As a 10 year old I spent a good part of '86 reading the Tamiya R/C Catalogue and dreaming about buying a Wild One. Of that period 5 buggies stand out in my memory; the Wild One, Hot Shot, Hornet, Frog and Super Champ. They've already re-released 3 of them....so hopefully the Wild One will follow.

I think the appeal was the scale like looks.

I've got no idea about how Tamiya decides on which models to re-release, but I reckon the Wild One would be a good re-release for them financially for a few reasons.

1) It was a fairly popular car back in the '80s. At least it was where I live.

2) It's so similar to the FAV that Tamiya could have two re-releasess for the investment required to re-release one car.

3) It looks like a pretty cheap car to make, eg lots of plastic.

4) The originals appear fairly scarce and seem to get a good price.

Anyway, I'd definitely commit to pre-ordering one.

buy a used one and rebuild it

wild ones are 10 a penny on the bay, and the parts are still mostly plentiful.

repro decals and bodies are available too!

buy a used one and rebuild it

wild ones are 10 a penny on the bay, and the parts are still mostly plentiful.

repro decals and bodies are available too!

Ive seen a few on ebay but I wouldnt say they were '10 a penny' as you put it.

Ive seen a few on ebay but I wouldnt say they were '10 a penny' as you put it.

Agreed, though not the most expensive car, I would have thought a very good condition Wild One would be £100+ which to my mind isn't 10 and penny. But perhaps you have deeper pockets than me!

Agreed, though not the most expensive car, I would have thought a very good condition Wild One would be £100+ which to my mind isn't 10 and penny. But perhaps you have deeper pockets than me!

lol ok not "10 a penny" but certainly not hard to find. they are always on the bay, and never go for mega money.

if you are going to restore it, then "very good condition" is not always a factor. well not to me.

and how much would a rere be, if you shudder at the thought of spending 100+?

just saying that the rere route is not the only way to obtain the classics.

lol ok not "10 a penny" but certainly not hard to find. they are always on the bay, and never go for mega money.

if you are going to restore it, then "very good condition" is not always a factor. well not to me.

and how much would a rere be, if you shudder at the thought of spending 100+?

just saying that the rere route is not the only way to obtain the classics.

Fair comments! Though if you buy a rough one for, say, £60, you'll no doubt spend a lot more than £40 on spares. However, this is not a theory I seem to follow as I keep buying wrecks that I could 'save'!

I suppose compared to a fairly typical new kit, you can pick up a Wild One for not that much these days, especially with 20% VAT in the UK! You've just gotta get into the mindset of not looking for that 'too good to be true' bargain on eBay......

I would love to see the Wild One too! Something was mentioned about an "attack" buggy coming out around the time the Avante was announced, make of it what you will. But as most think if they do the FAV, they will most likely do the Wild One. I'm hoping for a Fox as well!

John

I keep on reading topics about people really hoping for a Wild One re-release (and FAV too) - so it's becoming increasingly hard for me to think they will leave the Wild One's moulds sitting on some shelf - I think they'll be dusted off soon (including the drawings of the car as they probably didn't have CAD software back then <_<) and will hit the production line...

...because that's how simple it is (compared to the new releases anyway). I think most of the re-re cars are the ones with the least development and work necessary (the Avante being an exception with the changes on the driveshafts, uprights, dampers etc) if the engineers of Tamiya did their work well back in the day.

I really hope I'm right with what I just typed... I mentioned it before in similar topics, but I'll say it again: I really hope for a re-release of the Wild One (the Fox too by the way, even though that's an entirely different car) :blink:

i don't see a wild one rere coming. it had more "flaws" than a block of flats.

if it did get rere'd, one would assume they would sort the suspension and gearbox out.

the front susp was too soft, rear was too hard, gearbox was comical.

and the driver's hands were too big <_<

i would love to be wrong on this though! always nice to build a NIB.

i don't see a wild one rere coming. it had more "flaws" than a block of flats.

if it did get rere'd, one would assume they would sort the suspension and gearbox out.

the front susp was too soft, rear was too hard, gearbox was comical.

and the driver's hands were too big <_<

i would love to be wrong on this though! always nice to build a NIB.

And the Avante didn't have flaws?

And the Avante didn't have flaws?

The avante is considered by tamiya to be a milestone. Indeed in many ways it is.

It also has trf history. It cannot be compared to a wild one.

I do like the wild one - i went to great lengths on my wild one resto.

I remember building the gearbox, and rereading the instructions over as i thought i had missed something.

The avante is considered by tamiya to be a milestone. Indeed in many ways it is.

It also has trf history. It cannot be compared to a wild one.

You're right, they can't be compared. The Wild One is loved by people who run them, the Avante was thrown in a corner if anyone had tried racing one. The Avante attained it's cult status because it was expensive and overcomplicated, so unattainable by most. The Wild One is more scale and a good basher with a couple of tweaks, something that can't be said for the Avante. Coming from a racing background, I would still prefer a Wild One over an Avante any day.

And the Avante has no TRF history at all either. If you are referring to the false praise TamiyaUSA put on their website, can I refer you to my correction here.

I hope they do re-release it. As a 10 year old I spent a good part of '86 reading the Tamiya R/C Catalogue and dreaming about buying a Wild One. Of that period 5 buggies stand out in my memory; the Wild One, Hot Shot, Hornet, Frog and Super Champ. They've already re-released 3 of them....so hopefully the Wild One will follow.

I think the appeal was the scale like looks.

I remember that well. For me it was always the Wild One and Super Champ for that exact reason, even I never owned a tamiya back then. The Avante for me even at the time was too much of a 'space buggy'- runs for cover- I lost intrest in RC at that point and returned with the frog rere!

So my fingers are firmly crossed!

and the driver's hands were too big :lol:

Hey! Don't take the mickey out of Ray's hands - he's very sensitive about it!