Sign in to follow this  
hoppi05

Dyna Blaster Whats Your Thoughts On Them?

Hi all after reading some good posts on the Dyna Blaster/Storm i am thinking of getting one to go along with my Stadium Blitzer and Thunder... can anyone provide some simple answers to a couple of questions i have?....

How do they compair to the Stadium Blitzer and Thunder i no they are an evolution of them? (Handling-Gearing)

How available are replacement parts for these i have read somewhere the Dyna Storm was re-released?

Also how crazy fast can these be made i no the Blitzer and Thunder chassis are superb for bashing and stupid speed lol can these handle and take the same punishment?

well thank-you lads and lasses i am off to read some more posts and hopefully see if i can get one (i have a friend that has just found one in his loft ;-) )

Cheers

The Dyna Blaster is not as similar to the Dyna Storm as you might at first think - some parts are shared, but not the whole chassis as I originally thought.

There's nothing really shared between the Dyna Blaster and the Stadium Blitzer/Thunder. The shell is shared between the Thunder and Blaster and the wheels can be swapped (any possibly the shocks) but thats probably about it. The Dyna Blaster has a longer wheelbase - the front wheels are in completely the wrong place for the wheel arches!

The Blaster is lighter than the other two so in theory should be faster (with the correct gearing). The Storm is obviously a buggy so can be made to go much faster.

As for punishment, that's were they're not as good as the others - the parts which attach the arms to the chassis are prone to breaking and wearing, and they are hard to find, although you can use parts from the TR-15T (which are better as they are reinforced plastic).

If you want to bash hard, I'd stick with the Stadium Thunder, maybe with a generic shell - both the Blitzer and Thunder/Blaster shells are getting harder to get hold of these days...

However, the Dyna Blaster is a nice piece of kit and the Dyna Storm is fast and great to drive - just be a bit careful with them...

Well Gruntfuggly thankyou for the reply and you have answered my questions perfectly i think i will give it a miss because i use my cars and they do get bashed lol

cheers

I own both cars, Dyna Storm and Dyna Blaster. Both them shares parts with 1st Tamiya's nitro car, the TR15.

All cars share the tranny and gears and I think they has been projected all together.

Dyna Storm/Blaster: tranny, rear bumper, front bumper and bulkhead, front and rear uprights, rear arm mounts, steering arms and linkages and concepts are the same. Difference are front and rear arms, chassis/frame, damper mounts, shafts, front axles, wheels, sub chassis, dampers (but same lenght), body mounts, battery mounts (but interchangeables), top brace lenght and material, chassis lenght.

Dyna Blaster/TR15: arms, knuckles, front axles, rear shafts, rear arms mounts, tranny, front bulkhead, damper mounts (but different materials), dampers, steering linkages, rims are the same. Spur gear (TR15 bigger teeth fot the motor pinion), chassis, motor, slippery clutch cover (open in one side in the TR15), front bumper, tires and position of the tranny (reversed in the TR15) are different. TR15 has also rear anty roll bar.

TR15 has glass fiber reinforced parts due the heavier weight. These parts are front and rear uprights, steering parts, rear arms mounts, tranny shells, tranny brace to damper mount, maybe front bulkhead. Also the damper mounts are made in FRP. If you find all these parts to mount on the Dyna Blaster you are on the spot with it.

Kontemax

Its a fun truck. I had one and enjoyed it.

Due to the gearbox is can take big motors and can really fly on good off road tracks.

It has only one main weakness, imo, which is the same as the DS but amplified due to its longer arms. The arm holders / D part blocks.

But if you drive it sensibly and put in a longer screw and add a nyloc nut on the rear blocks then it is unlikely to give trouble. If you hit a corner hard in the front the front D block is likely to break and they are very difficult to source. TR-15T, DB, and DS parts are interchangable.

It's like any vintage model - alot of fun but some parts are hard to source.

If you can get it, enjoy it! :)

BTW, it's great to see so many knowledgeable people answering the thread. It's cool there are so many DS fans/enthusiasts with so much experience shared :)

Nothing like a powwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwer sliding DS type chassis :):(B):)

The most important information I guess has already been provided.

I never drove an actual Dyna Blaster, but I do drive my Dyna Storm often - It shares complete gearbox and the suspension blocks, which gives enough of an impression of the qualities of the Dyna Blaster (especially as I also drove a few times with the longer DB arms and universal shafts on my Dyna Storm).

The Dyna Storm/Blaster to me is an underestimated car. It's drivetrain was developed for competition use, which means that it's made to survive tough conditions and handle hot motors, but at the same time giving precise and consistent performance. It's a very good gearbox for any kind of use really - from silver cans to 5T brushless systems, from bashing to track driving - it can handle the job. The chassis from the DS is pretty solid, and I bet the DB chassis is too. The finish of the parts shows that Tamiya put a great deal of attention into this car, and it handles like that, too :) Loads of fun, beautiful design and very quick!

The suspension is also pretty solid apart from two pieces: The front and rear suspension blocks. The suspension blocks can become loose after a while, especially after some hard driving or a crash/hit on the suspension. Their availability unlike other parts is very bad. Preventing breakage is the easiest way to solve the problem:

1. Use nyloc nuts (with a longer screw) instead of press nuts (The press nuts in the kit easily come loose, and once they do, you can't tighten OR loosen them).

2. Do NOT use threadlock, CA glue or other adhesives for keeping the screws tightened (eventually it will still loosen a tiny bit but you can't get the screw and nut seperated anymore).

3. Check at least after each run (but preferably after each crash/hit) if the screws of the suspension blocks have loosened a little. Tighten them if they have come loose.

They can eventually still break, but so far, I have not broken a single one of these suspension blocks. This may be because I don't jump with the car and don't crash too often, but I am sure that checking the suspension blocks regularly and having my tools with me when driving has prevented breakage of them so far :)

I'm working on getting the rear suspension blocks (the weakest of them) readily available too. The part will be using either threaded inserts or nyloc nuts for fitting them to the car, the geometry will be like the original but without the press nut fitting. The plan is to create a part that is slightly stronger, but still remains the weakest part. As they are readily available though, breaking them won't be a big deal and just a matter of bolting a new one on! It's a long term project though, but it might be worth looking at if you are considering to run/bash a Dyna Blaster in the future. If the rear ones are a success, the front ones may well become a new project too.

It's hard to explain how much of a thrill these cars are to own and drive - but believe me, you won't regret getting one - even if you'll end up with a broken car from time to time! Just read through this topic if you want to know more about the Dyna series :)

Cheers for the help lads thats some superb information!!!!! :huh: i will try and get this and get it restored i look forward to giving it a try and have to admit after reading all your posts and reading the 19 pages of Singapore_959 post on the DS updated chassis and all the parts i was like get me one now lol

cheers for all your feedback.........