Xeostar

959 Restoration Question

What a transformation! I wouldn't bin that historic old shell though, when it's all shiny and mint you can use that when you want to give it a run.

+1

The shell on my Falcon is hammered too, but will keep it as a runner shell to remind me when I used to run it as a kid!

Plan on getting new shell for when it sits on the shelf.

Just got the last of it disassembled and deep cleaned tonite. It had a thick sludge of dirt and oil caked around the gearboxes. The LHC had us putting a concoction of motor oil mixed with other stuff in the boxes, which they gladly sold us premixed. It sure seeped out the bottom and from around the gearbox joints....in hindsight, not sure if that was the best idea or not...

Ewww. :P I thought that only clueless modellers used motor oil to lubricate gearboxes (which usually results in a thick caked mix of motor oil and dust/grit everywhere but in the gearboxes).

Here are some pics of the practice shell I've used to see how the paint would turn out. Its not too bad but I can do better next time I think.

compDSC03832.jpg

compDSC03833.jpg

compDSC03836.jpg

compDSC03835.jpg

• Like 1

It is indeed, with the esc sealed inside to keep the water out :D

I'll paint it black or something when I get a bit of time.

Turned out quite nice, first try or not! I'll have my repro 959 shell shipped directly to you! :D

I'm thinking for the glass, rather than leaving it clear - which shows the components... or black- which doesn't distinguish the glass from the black trim bits, they make a spray tint that is used for automotive head/tail light customization that I'm going to try. Could be a good look.

Thanks for the kind words but to tell the truth the pictures tend to hide errors in the paint. When you look up close its not so good.

I think your right about the windows, clear does look a bit odd. What does this automotive stuff do? If I had some Tamiya smoke I'd probably give them a bit of a tint.

Or I might make an interior with a couple of drivers maybe? But the next job is lights I think.

I think your right about the windows, clear does look a bit odd. What does this automotive stuff do? If I had some Tamiya smoke I'd probably give them a bit of a tint.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/niteshades.html. Not sure what the tamiya smoke is but this stuff is basically like window tint you spray on, but made for auto exterior plastic lenses. Now that i think about it, I would test it on a scrap as far as removal goes, if you expect to strip it down eventually. Don't know that the brake fluid trick works on it

Edit: checked out the tamiya smoke out of curiosity. Sounds similar check out this thread on the topic of window tinting http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...hl=tamiya+smoke

Hi All,

I finally managed to get round to painting the 959 body. I've not got any decals get but they are on order.

I took way longer that I expected to mask up for each layer.

2011-10-23193929.jpg

2011-10-23194216.jpg

2011-10-23194225.jpg

2011-10-23194235.jpg

Hi all,

Got some more pics now with decals and along with support car. What do you think? Improvement ideas welcome. :lol:

2011-10-28183043.jpg

2011-10-28183054.jpg

2011-10-28183117.jpg

2011-10-28183921.jpg

2011-10-28183956.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,

Got some more pics now with decals and along with support car. What do you think? Improvement ideas welcome. ;)

2011-10-28183956.jpg

NIce!

hey buddy...... i know how that shell got like that ;)

i remember it coming down your street at about a million miles an hour (adjusted for young eyes and inflation) on its roof bouncing off the curbs!! haha

remember the days when a main road was an ideal place for 2 young lads to play??? 

anyway, i know this is a 5yr old thread but really had to catch up and comment - brings back lots of memories

JJ

;-) yep I remember that too and the slags heaps, it took some battering there as well.

Also remember flying down the hill by the church on our skate boards way too quick. Losing control then flying off into the middle of the road and almost being run over by a police car. No pads or helmets, I looking back I've no idea how we survived to be this old!

• Like 1