Sign in to follow this  
Rob Buckle

Ungluing Tires From Rims

Folks,

I'm considering bidding on ebay for a set of four tires/rims for a Clod Buster. Unfortunately the tires are glued to the rims. Therefore, before I bid, can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove tires from rims with zero or minimal damage to the tires?

Cheers,

Rob

As ever it will depend on whats been used to glue them, and how long ago. Some soaking in warm soapy water will generally see off most contact adhesives (UHU,evostick type), but superglue acrylates might prove a bit more stubborn.

Thanks Percymon,

I'll contact the seller and see if he/she knows. This assumes he/she did the gluing in the first place. <_<

How would you 'get in' to apply it? <_<

haha not sure really

maybe make a cut with a knife?

then you can penetrate the slit with your fluid.

haha not sure really

maybe make a cut with a knife?

then you can penetrate the slit with your fluid.

In general this type of chemical breaks down the Superglue on contact. You would apply it in small amounts at one spot. Wait (and hope) that its starts to loosen the bond, then by manipulation it should work further and further into the area, capilary action also assists. No gaurantees though as every glue and every plastic or rubber is different in the way it accepts the glue and the debonder. Worth a try tho. I generally use the hot water method, and it nearly always wroks. Except once recently when I left one in a huge pan on the hob on a light simmer! I forgot about it (!) and came back 30 minutes later to a Losi Strike wheel and Tyre that had completely collapsed and gone soft! Not advisable to leave it.

be careful with debonder, it can melt many plastic rims. i have had reasonable success wuth freezing the wheels in your fridge freezer, then chucking them in a pot of boiling water. the extremes of hot and cold can crack the superglue bond, and you can can get all the old tyre and gunk off the rims. it does take a bit of work to do, but worth a try.

Hi

when i raced offroad, we used to soak our wheels in acetone overnite to remove the tyres from the rims

its basically nail varnish remover

I personally had no problems with it, but i know some people did by leaving it in too long

also some types of plastic wheel have known to melt

Folks,

I'm not so concerned about the rims as it's the tires I'm after. That said, it'd be nice not to damage either the rims or the tires if possible as this leaves me the option of selling on the rims.

I'm still waiting on the seller coming back to me on the glue that was used (assuming if he/she knows) so will post back here if I receive a reply. Thanking you. :lol:

I've used the oven method for debonding CA. Put the tires/wheels on an old cookie sheet (or aluminum foil-wrapped good one :lol: ) and put them in the oven at 300 degrees or so. Older glue you can often reduce the temp to 250.

After about 15 minutes try removing the tires (using gloves of course). Put them back in for another 5 minutes at a time if they are difficult. I've heard of people increasing the temp to 350, but I've never had to go that high. I've had lots of luck with this method.

Well folks,

We'll never know about those particular rims/tires. After asking the seller to respond twice and receiving no response, giving him/her my custom was never going to happen, even if I have lost out on obtaining the tires.

Another set will come my way eventually.

Thanks folks.