Percymon

How To Curve / Mould Styrene Sheet ?

Inspired by Skottoman's 911 work, i thought i'd have a bash with styrene, since i need a rear wing for a second Hotshot body

At the weekend i bought quite thick sheet on the basis it would be easier to join, but in hindsight its too heavy, and so i picked up a couple of 1mm sheets today which seem far better to cut etc.

What i really need to know is the best way to curve the sheet ?

- i've read online to clamp the sheet to a dowel or other cylindrical object of the correct curvature, immerse in near boiling water and then remove, allow to cool, and then unclamp.

- i've seen mention of hot air to soften the sheet but is a hairdrier hot enough or do i need something like a paint stripper gun ?

Any general help much appreciated.

Inspired by Skottoman's 911 work, i thought i'd have a bash with styrene, since i need a rear wing for a second Hotshot body

At the weekend i bought quite thick sheet on the basis it would be easier to join, but in hindsight its too heavy, and so i picked up a couple of 1mm sheets today which seem far better to cut etc.

What i really need to know is the best way to curve the sheet ?

- i've read online to clamp the sheet to a dowel or other cylindrical object of the correct curvature, immerse in near boiling water and then remove, allow to cool, and then unclamp.

- i've seen mention of hot air to soften the sheet but is a hairdrier hot enough or do i need something like a paint stripper gun ?

Any general help much appreciated.

A hair drier will work , I have done it , they put out quite a bit of heat . A paint stripper hot air gun will be too hot if you're not careful . Use clamps and formers like the dowel or square section for sharp edges . Some of it will be trial and error but once you get used to it ,it will be easy - good luck

another thread asking a question i was going to ask - glad i'm not the only one!

i'm going to be making a rear wing for my porsche and i haven't used styrene before - i want to make something half decent on a budget too. Where did you get the sheeting from?

another thread asking a question i was going to ask - glad i'm not the only one!

i'm going to be making a rear wing for my porsche and i haven't used styrene before - i want to make something half decent on a budget too. Where did you get the sheeting from?

Both my local model shops had it although today's was a lot more bewildering visit as they had almost all the plastruct products; sheets, rods, tubes, square channel section, box sections etc. I'm starting with 1mm sheet and I found a nice square channel section which I'll use at the edge to increase the contact area to the end plates of the wing

Hello, this works for me. Try using the paint stripper gun but on low heat for 1mm, make sure to keep it moving and not held still at all. Try to heat the sheet evenly then bend it around the mould. Another tip would be to try and make the peice oversized and cut it into the final length/shape last, it will help to stop the edges from curving. Can cool it after bending or moulding with a wet rag to catch the shape. Good luck.

Had a pop with a few trial strips last night in near boiling water - 1mm sheet softened up within 5 seconds, bent it round a metal rod and 5 seconds later is set solid.

I tried this with 1mm clear high impact styrene sheet - now there must be something different about this to the other plastruct white sheet i have cos my plastic magic glue wont stick it together. I'm wondering whether its actually polycarb, despite the labelling on the bag i took it from in the shop, and the shop's price labels. Think i'll stick to the white stuff for now - i know thats bonds very quickly and well with plastic magic.

Good to hear it is mouldable too - i wondered how it would perform stretched in multiple directions.

sounds like a good plan, i'm going to leave mines slightly bigger than planned, get the curves right then cut to its final shape

what paints work on Styrene, will Tamiya PS be ok?

I'll have to get some to make some inner covers to try and keep my rally cars dry(ish).

I'm also new to styrene. Haven't really done any curving, just cutting, sanding, etc.

I found that you can paint styrene with almost anything. PS/TS, standard spray paint, testors enamels, etc. works great.

I'm glad I've inspired people. I really think the level of builds on TC has gone up in the past year. :)

Everyone is raising the bar, and styrene is just another tool to take your models to the next level! And it's cheap and fun to work with!

I'm still learning too, so have no advice regarding bending/curves...

Cheers,

Skottoman

I'm also new to styrene. Haven't really done any curving, just cutting, sanding, etc.

I found that you can paint styrene with almost anything. PS/TS, standard spray paint, testors enamels, etc. works great.

I'm glad I've inspired people. I really think the level of builds on TC has gone up in the past year. :)

Everyone is raising the bar, and styrene is just another tool to take your models to the next level! And it's cheap and fun to work with!

I'm still learning too, so have no advice regarding bending/curves...

Cheers,

Skottoman

Diefently and It's only going to get better.

Might get some styrene next I go to the hobby shop. What is the thinest they do as I need to amke some windows for my scalextric limo project.