WW-nut

So Who's Actually Bought One Then.......the Dn-01 Zahhak?

Normally when a new kit is announced there is a lot of excitment on the forum, but not really with the Zahhak. So just wondered has anyone actually bought one?

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58477zahhak/index.htm

:(

Considering a TRF201 costs about 100 dollars more, which includes a slipper clutch, Universals (they are even the WO ones), TRF Aeration dampers with hopup damper cylinders, one-piece outdrives (DN01 have plastic part for pressure plates) AND Titanium Turnbuckles.

And that's just the start: The chassis plastics are different. The only plastic trees that actually share the parts number (and material too) are the Gear cover (AA-Parts), The Battery Strap (B-Parts), Rear Chassis part+suspension blocks (J-Parts) and Plastic spacers (N-Parts). These are the only trees on the TRF201 (apart from the N-Parts perhaps) that are not made from reinforced plastic. And with a body uglier than the behind of an orc, it is promising to be a very good selling car :D - I'd buy a TRF201 instead, even as a basher, as you will get so much more value for money.

And the only nice thing about the Zahhak, it's bright (fluorescent?) pink wheels (pink can look good when it's 1. bright and 2. used in a paintscheme with lots of black and/or with other fluorescent colours) has been changed after the show to white wheels - apparently the only wild and cool thing was deemed too much for this release :)

i like the body alot. but i don't think it will sell that well.

that being said i think it's a better option then a holiday buggy for a beginner.

that being said i think it's a better option then a holiday buggy for a beginner.

not sure what US pricing is like but int he UK its the same price as the Durga.

Love it hwo they quote "developed from the top-level TRF201 buggy and offers immense racing potential" which when you read above does not kind of make sense LMAO

Zahhak - Tamiya's first model named after the noise you make when you look at it?

In that case I would have named it "Bwlurgh!" :)

But to be serious about it, the only reason I don't have this car is because it's too expensive in comparison to the TRF201 - It should have replaced the DT02 - which costs $110-130 on ebay (if you exclude the Holiday Buggy), and it should have been in that price class - not at $175-195.

And of course the body is hideous - luckily they did make a good looking body for the TRF, and the tub shape is made for that shell. However, still I don't understand why you wouldn't just make a more average looking body for it's first release. It will then indeed not catch as much attention, but now the initial sales of the chassis are bad, so it's already aging and sales keep on being low until they release a better looking body - and offer it at a better price of course - but they better do that within now and 2-3 months then :)

Zahhak - Tamiya's first model named after the noise you make when you look at it?

Yes, because they couldn't fit "OMG, this thing is uglier than an orc's behind" onto the box lid. :)

Paul, I couldn't agree more with your orc assessment..

You know what? I don't think it looks too bad... But then I've always loved the look of my Striker so what does that say? :)

Joking aside, I really wanted to get one of these but, as previously mentioned, the £50ish price difference between this and the TRF201 isn't enough to justify the spec difference so I've dropped it from my 2011 wish list. If I could pick one up for about a third the price it would be worthwhile to me.

The sticker sheet might be worth getting to put the dragon on a drifter of some kind ? :unsure:

Other than that, I have to agree with the comments questioning whether it's a truly viable kit considering it's price/spec.

The Fugly is strong in this one!

So it doesn't look like promising for the Zahhak then, I'd be worried about my job if I was the project manager at Tamiya :lol:

Makes me wonder though, I keep reading that people want new stuff from Tamiya rather than them just churning out re-releases. Have they missed that the Zahhak is new :unsure:;):lol: Though I do hope whatever Tamiya's next new release isn't done by the same design team as the Zahhak.

I like it.maybe the bodies a little

peculiar.If they drop the price

I'll probley pick one up.

Was thinking about somehow

mounting a buggy champ body.

Don't know if thats possable though?

kinda like new tech with a vintage look.

I know it doesn't have all the bells

and whistles as a trf201 but I don't race

anyway,and I like the fact it comes with

the rims and tires.

hopefully the prices will drop

before springtime.

skip

I like it.maybe the bodies a little

peculiar.If they drop the price

I'll probley pick one up.

Was thinking about somehow

mounting a buggy champ body.

Don't know if thats possable though?

kinda like new tech with a vintage look.

I know it doesn't have all the bells

and whistles as a trf201 but I don't race

anyway,and I like the fact it comes with

the rims and tires.

hopefully the prices will drop

before springtime.

skip

I'd like to add what I previously mentioned that there also is no pinion (even though you'd want a steel one - they should include these in their kits) and no motor even! :unsure: Even if you're not a racer, from a durability point of view, the TRF201 will fare better with it's universals (reduction of wear on the drivetrain), slipper clutch (even more reduction of wear on the drivetrain), the titanium turnbuckles, reinforced chassis parts etc etc will make sure you never break anything - and they are harder wearing, so less scratches and slop when it's a few years old as well. It will just hold up all the abuse better than the DN01 will (even though I am sure the DN01 will be a good basher :lol: ).

As for the body, I think the body from a Rough Rider - or Super Champ - will need loads of modification to fit. It may be the same amount of work to create a custom shell from scratch using styrene ;) But that's what makes interesting projects I guess :lol:

You can get a 201 chassis for US$50 more (and the US$ is worth nothing now ;)) + bits so ~US$100 more all up.

No point.

I actually quite like the look of the Zahhak and have come close to buying one a few times. But like others have said the cost just doesn't make sense.

Everytime I think about buying the Zahhak I end up deciding that a TRF-201 or Assoc B4.1 is sooooo much better value. You just know that buying the hop-up parts for Zahhak so that it compares with the TRF-201 is going to cost a same fortune.

However, I really like Tamiya and owning the latest 2WD buggy has strong appeal. If they can lower the price to 160USD plus include a motor and ESC then I'II definitely be buying a Zahhak.

**** STOP PRESS ****

Someone's bought one ---> http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...82&id=25671

:lol:

I noticed that a minute ago yeah! :o Mad Ax is right about the colour influences, and the back of the cockpit area indeed probably is inspired on the Astute, but I think it's too much of a blob to call it anything near the (Super) Astute :lol: The paint scheme is not nearly as balanced as the Super Astute's either.

Anyway, even though I'm surprised to see one, it's good to see one on TC as well - after all, diversity is a good thing :lol: