Sign in to follow this  
Percymon

Can someone please explain wheel / tyre sizes to me

Now i have a Clod, i'm all confused about tyre and wheel sizes.

Its pretty easy with buggy tyres, they are much of a muchness, but when it comes to bigger stuff i'm lost

They are 1.9 and 2.2" sizes, are these the outside diameter of the wheel rim ?,

If so, and assuming a clod uses 2.2" wheels, how do i ensure any 2.2" tyres i buy have the correct overall wheel n tyre diameter ?

What about 1/8th off road tyres, how compatible or not are they ?

Sorry for the daft questiosn, but at £30 a pair i don't want to be buying too many sets of incompatible tyres !!

Now i have a Clod, i'm all confused about tyre and wheel sizes.

Its pretty easy with buggy tyres, they are much of a muchness, but when it comes to bigger stuff i'm lost

They are 1.9 and 2.2" sizes, are these the outside diameter of the wheel rim ?,

If so, and assuming a clod uses 2.2" wheels, how do i ensure any 2.2" tyres i buy have the correct overall wheel n tyre diameter ?

What about 1/8th off road tyres, how compatible or not are they ?

Sorry for the daft questiosn, but at £30 a pair i don't want to be buying too many sets of incompatible tyres !!

I feel exactly the same. Some shops have a really nice veriety, but very little description on the overall hight and width of wheels or tyres. My Twin Detonators standerd tyres are 130mm tall and 55mm in width on 2.2 rims. I want road tyres for it but dont know what to look for. How do I know the tyres are 55 mm in width? 40mm wide tyres will just look silly on the standerd 2.2 rims!

1.9" and 2.2" refer to the diameter of the rims, and are generally considered to be universal across RC manufacturers. I don't know where it's measured from exactly, but if you see tyres for 1.9 wheels then they should fit every 1.9 wheel, and likewhise with 2.2 tyres.

Now, generally speaking, 1.9 wheels tend to be based on touring car dimensions, and so are usually all the same width, so most 1.9 touring tyres fit most 1.9 touring wheels. Some kits have wider rear wheels which require wider touring tyres. However, when using high-walled off-road tyres, you can usually fit them over any width 1.9 tyre and the big sidewall will just bulge to make up the difference. I have some RC4WD scale tyres on 3-piece wide touring wheels and they look awesome.

Now, 2.2 wheels look a bit more confusing because there are different widths, but it's generally straightforward. There are buggy 2.2s, which generally come in 2 widths (front and rear) like on the DF03, and there are truck 2.2s which are wider and have a very deep offset. You can squidge a wide 2.2 truck tyre onto a 2.2 buggy rim (you may have to glue it) but you can't usually get a 2.2 buggy tyre onto a 2.2 truck rim. When you're looking on Ebay or model websites it's usually quite easy to tell what's a buggy wheel / tyre and what's a truck wheel / tyre, so don't panic about getting the wrong thing.

You've also got 2.2 scale truck wheels and tyres. The wheels are usually narrow like buggy wheels but have a deeper offset, and generally have beadlock rims to hold on very soft tyres. The tyres are also narrow to fit the narrower rims, but they have a high sidewall to maintain ground clearance.

As for overall diameter of 2.2 truck tyres, it really depends on brand, but they all tend to be much the same. Some sites might list the exact external diameter. Rolling radius may vary depending on softness of tyre and hardness of the insert (if used). There are some stadium truck tyres that fit on 2.2 truck rims (like those on the Blitzer Beetle etc) that have lower sidewalls like buggy tyres but are wide enough to fit on truck rims. You can usually spot these fairly easily. To be honest, as long as you don't go for stadium truck tyres, you don't need to panic too much about the overall diameter because it's usually not variable enough between tyres to make a difference to performance or gearing. Most 2.2 truck tyres are based around the "standard" dimensions used by things like the Blackfoot for generations of off-road trucks.

Now, to really throw a spanner in the works, your Clod actually has its own special size. If you want tyres that will fit on your standard Clod rims, look for tyres listed as Clod Buster fitting. I'm not sure what other trucks use Clod size tyres (apart from Super Clod, Juggernaut and TXT) but the best monster truck / crawler websites will list tyres that specifically fit Clod rims.

There's also 40-series wheels, as used on bigger modern trucks like the Traxxas E-Maxx. These have a much bigger rim radius with a lower profile tyre, for better handling at speed. Lots of sites list 40-series wheel and tyre combos.

Of course there's all sorts of confusing sizes in between, like the Lunchbox/Pumpkin/WW2/Mounty size, TLT, HPI super touring (2.2 touring wheels - look awesome on buggies :) ), and so-on and so-forth.

I hope that this post is factually correct and helps you somewhat in your exploration through the wonderful and confusing world of RC tyres. If in doubt, call or email the vendor and ask them - some are very knowledgable and helpful :angry:

I feel exactly the same. Some shops have a really nice veriety, but very little description on the overall hight and width of wheels or tyres. My Twin Detonators standerd tyres are 130mm tall and 55mm in width on 2.2 rims. I want road tyres for it but dont know what to look for. How do I know the tyres are 55 mm in width? 40mm wide tyres will just look silly on the standerd 2.2 rims!

HPI do a street-tread for 2.2 truck tyres. The sidewall is a much lower profile than standard truck tyres but they look pretty good.

http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=4451

HPI make some awesome wheels and tyres and their site is very good and listing what fits on what.

HPI do a street-tread for 2.2 truck tyres. The sidewall is a much lower profile than standard truck tyres but they look pretty good.

http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=4451

HPI make some awesome wheels and tyres and their site is very good and listing what fits on what.

What beautifull tyres! Thanks for the link. I will have to mail them, they did not say how wide they are :angry:

Afaik (but would love to be proved wrong) Imex is the only company that makes tyres that'll fit Clod wheels that aren't in the standard chevron style pattern.

What beautifull tyres! Thanks for the link. I will have to mail them, they did not say how wide they are :angry:

Proline also do something similar called the "Road Rage". In fact Proline put another spanner in the works because they do a series of tyres that fit on 2.2 Truck wheels, but that don't have the high wall of standard "Monster Truck" tyres. Look for things like Dirt Hawgs, Badlands and Dirt Works.

I'm after something to fit a set of Blackfoot/Mud Blaster wheels. I've seen what I am after fitted to a set of Monster Beetle wheels, but I can't remember where they were. They were like a set of mini spike/pin buggy tyres with a very low profile but to fit truck wheels. Loads around for buggies (40mm) but can't find any for 55mm wheels.