Sign in to follow this  
VagabondStarJXF

Rc'ing On Holiday. Where To Next?

RCing abroad!  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Firstly I'd like to say thanks again to everyone who voted on my last holiday poll and/or offered useful input on my recent trip to the Philippines. You guys were really helpful, making my decision to bring an RC with me a decision I wouldn't regret. It's with this in mind that I'm thinking ahead for once (it's a New Year resolution thing <_< ) to what I'm going to do next. Here it goes...

I'm sitting at home, sick with something like a cold or flu, and it's freezing in the UK. Well, maybe not literally freezing but it's really cold here. I've been told by work that I have to book my next year's holiday time before the end of this financial year (as they do every year) and, seeing as I'm ill and at home right now, I'm trying to think of the next place I can go. After the RC success (well, kinda) on my aforementioned last trip I'd like to bring an RC with me again on this one. I'll more than likely be travelling on my own to someplace where I don't have family to stay with so I'm after suggestions of places that have somewhere nice to run an RC (like a beach or something) but still has the usual 'holiday'ness to it so if I don't run my RC then I'll still be able to have myself a good holiday... just like my last holiday. :)

My current top 3 ideas so far are (in no particular order): Skiing/Snowboarding (Yay for snow!), Egypt (Highly recommended to me) and Kenya (Safari Photography!).

Skiing/Snowboarding - I've never been skiing in any way, shape or form. I've always wanted to try it and I've seen people's vids of them running their Clods in the recent snows so I figured going somewhere where there's enough snow to learn how to ski then I can do that while I'm waiting for the batteries to recharge! :blink:

Egypt - As a holiday destination Egypt has been recommended to me by a lot of people. I've been told there's some nice places to relax, places by a nice clean beach (can you see where I'm going with this?), places where there's now't more to do than nothing at all. My Buggy Champ performed well in the sand in the Philippines so it could have another shot a beach glory. If not the beach then I've been told there's a lot more sand in land. :D

Kenya - My mom has a friend out there who runs a Safari resort so I figured I could take advantage of this, break out the camera and my photography skills (rusty as they are), see some wonderous 'new' sights, and do some RC runs too while I'm there.

Another idea I have is to go on a cruise but I can't see me getting an RC out on deck. Hmmm... Maybe if I bought an RC speedboat...

So... Holiday destinations and related RC suggestions are what I'm after with this thread. I don't have a vast collection of RCs to draw upon but I figure my off-roaders will be the main pool I draw from this time unless there's a specific destination that my on-road vehicles would benefit from. I took a TA04 with me last time and it barely saw any decent use. Whatever RC(s) I bring with me will be set up with a basic Acoms 2.4Ghz radio system to avoid any radio frequency law problems (although if there is something specific about where you're recommending please feel free to speak up) and I'm not running LiPo or Brushless on anything yet so I'll have to bring along a 240v mains charger and the usual handful of 7.2v Nimh batteries. I don't want to have to buy a new charger but will if the destination is good enough to warrant it. Lastly, most of the models I've listed in the above poll need 'finishing' in some way. For example, the Mad Bull is in pieces because I got it off of my brother last year and that's the way he left it, in pieces and in a box, after he'd moved on to his LST nitro behemoth. Even the Buggy Champ is still in pieces after getting back from the Philippines. I have every intention of getting them all up 'n running but if they're going to be taken on holiday then they'll get the top priority, VIP style, treatment. I think I have everything I need to get them done too (except time and space :P). Anyways, what I mean to say is that they're all contenders for holiday fun so feel free to vote for the ones you think will be most suitable to the holiday environment you recommend.

Thanks again in advance to all who participate on this one. It's much appreciated.

Cool! I say go on the safari! Build or modify a clod to get anywhere and see if you can make a camera rig to fit it. Can you imagine being out on the safari and then running off your RC out closer to the animals for some extreme photography! Also how might the animals react to such an anomaly! Safari staff might not like this hair-brain scheme! You could get some amazing shots also with a scale 4x4, imagine the backdrop you have to play with!!!

James

I guess I should mention what times of the year I can go... I'm basically trying to plan for any time during the next financial year excluding Christmas/New Year and August to September (UK School Holidays) because I can't get time off during those periods. I have no idea what 'seasons' things run in, I can only assume that the Skiing season is around Wintertime but everything else I'd just be guessing at so could be anytime as far as I know. <_<

Cool! I say go on the safari!... imagine the backdrop you have to play with!!!

Thanks for the response. This is what I'm thinking too! If you've seen the Top Gear Africa Special you'll be thinking on exactly the same track as me! :blink: I can only imagine the dust being kicked up as I drive around with the orange red sunset beyond. I'm sure it'd look awesome but I have no idea how I'd be able to take pics or film it without getting someone else to do that for me.

Also how might the animals react to such an anomaly! Safari staff might not like this hair-brain scheme!

Yeah. I don't particularly want to upset them being that they're my Mom's friends. Don't want to get my whole family banned because I accidentally stampede some elephants by running my Clod too close. :)

Snow, Snowboarding and the Clod Buster! That's a vacation you will never, ever regret.

Find a nice condo/resort someplace and just have a blast. You can have fun, enjoy the boarding and take in the beautiful mountain scenery, then kick back in front of a nice fire with a hot buttered rum and watch all the snow bunnies - more beautiful mountain scenery. <_<

Next morning when you hurt in places you didn't even know you had muscles to strain, you can start the day with an ice cold beer and go run the Clod through pristine mountain snow. First tracks of the day! Perfect!

That's my vote.

You need to bring your Avante 2011 to Queensland between March and September, heaps to do with awesome weather, and catch up with the Brisbane Vintage runners at Boondall, I'm sure those guys would be up for a Beach run aswell, just ask MadRacer, That photo of his Brat on the beach is awesome.

Beach running is awesome. I'd love to do it again once I get my Avante. At the moment, unfortunately, Australia and everywhere on the other side of the world from the UK is on the wrong side of my budget. I'd love to get there someday but I don't think I'd be able to save up enough for it this year. Maybe in a couple more years but I've never planned that far ahead... and I'm not keen on taking another long journey just yet as I've just gotten back from one nasty long journey to the Philippines. Flights were a serious killer. :lol:

About snow running with buggies instead of monster trucks. I've seen ski conversions for 2WD chassis' that look fairly awesome but they won't work on 4WD chassis' (obviously). How well do 4WD buggies handle the snow?

edit:

Does anyone know when the ski season starts and finishes?

4wd buggies don't do that well in the snow, it really takes something with huge tires and massive ground clearance, otherwise they just get stuck. It is as if Clods were custom designed for snow though.

Ski season in Colorado is roughly December through March, with the best in Feb. & March. If you don't mind lame conditions, as early as October and as late as June is possible, but you're skiing on rocks with a thin covering of snow and it's not for the faint of heart. Resorts aren't open that early or late because they would go broke. Not sure about the ski mountains in Europe, though I would guess December-March is probably still a reasonable estimate based on my non-skiing trips to continental Europe during the winter months.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of trying to find somewhere snowy around May, that's the earliest I can go on holiday, but I guess that's out of the question. I have no experience skiing so go for harder conditions for my first time skiing probably wouldn't be the best idea. I think somewhere sunny is going to be my best bet for that time of the year. May is a bit close though unless I find somewhere really cheap to go to.

I've had a quick look online and it seems that the only holidays for May that come up on my general online searches are Spain, Turkey or Malta. Does anyone have any recommendations? For these three or any others?

Has anyone suggested the obvious wallet-killer vacation: a trip to Japan to visit the main Tamiya headquarters and/or showroom? You wouldn't have to take an R/C with you or even decide which would be best. Just arrive, buy [and buy, and buy, and buy] and then play. :lol:

Has anyone suggested the obvious wallet-killer vacation: a trip to Japan to visit the main Tamiya headquarters and/or showroom? You wouldn't have to take an R/C with you or even decide which would be best. Just arrive, buy [and buy, and buy, and buy] and then play. :lol:

Nope. No one has suggested it to me until now and I hadn't even considered it despite knowing about it. I'd love to go there but, because of the financial nosedive into oblivion I'm sure to take if I go there, I think I should give it a miss until I win the lottery. :P

Right. B)

My holiday plans for May have hit the financial rocks and have most definitely sunk so my backup plan is for September. That plan is to hit San Diego, California, to meet up and stay with family again. My Aunt there is retiring so if I'm lucky we might head to Hawaii (by lucky I mean if I can save up enough money :) ). Either way I think that pretty much all my family now knows I have "a thing" about running my RCs on a sandy beach, mostly due to my trip to the Philippines last year, so they're all happy to go to a beach with the knowledge that I'll be keeping myself busy. ^_^ I might even be able to rope my cousin's kids into helping me build sand ramps! :)

That leaves a problem for May. The time has been booked off for a while so I can't change it now. This being the case I'd like to see if I can get to a beach somewhere in the South East of England. I live to the South of London, y'see, so all I've got around me is grassy parks. My Mom says Bournemouth is nice. My brother says Brighton. I don't like my brother's suggestions (probably because he's my brother and I know him) so I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions/recommendations? Over the last couple of months I've been frantically trying to get my projects all done and ready to run so I'd love to have them all, or whichever ones I can get finished, run on a beach. B)

NB: I probably won't be staying 'on location' for more than a day as everyone would be coming along so kids would need to be at school on the weekdays. That leaves the weekend. Everyone works different shifts so organising more than a day together is a bit of a task and I'm simply not going to go on my own with more than two RCs.

Its not the SE but I can recommend a cheap UK holiday with tons of dune jumping action. I spent a week at the Haven Perran Sands caravan site in April 2010 and fortunately had the foresight to pack my GH. I couldnt believe my luck, the caravans are practically in the sand dunes and you literally have miles of them to choose from. It was so much fun even the wife couldnt resist having a go. Heres some pics I took less than a 5min walk from our van.

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00343.jpg

The dunes lead down to a beautiful clean sandy beach that must be at least 2 miles long and had hardly anyone else on it. The site is near Perranporth just south of Newquay, here's their website. You can camp as well as caravan but you'll need the electrical hook up for the battery charger... and you will need it believe me :)

Oh yeah, the Haven site was nice too. In the SE I use to bash around on Westgate beach, just along the coast from Margate in Kent. Lots of sand when the tides out and nobody was that bothered by the cars. Or Ryde beach on the Isle Of Wight is great for some RC action but does get busy when the suns out.

Im hoping to get down to Rye this year as I have friends near there and they recommended a deserted beach area just south of Rye Harbour. Search it on Google Maps and you can see a huge area running from the Harbour inlet west to Winchelsea Beach. My brother did this D Day photo shoot on the beach there.