Sign in to follow this  
commiedoor

ahhh crodzirra arrives !

well after 3 months floating around in a leaky sampan from canada to australia , my clodzilla mk II i bought of brecks finally turned up in the post .

it must have been a rought trip cause just about every screw is loose on it ! . i tried to plan ahead for this build project by buying a new body , a pair of 55t motors with 13 t pinions , a twin motor esc , diff skid plates and adjustable engine mounts but dang , it dosent have balls ! not a ball in sight , so i just bought it a heap of ball bearings for it ..

the tear down and cleran up stareted about 4 minutes after it came out of the box , not that i was in a hury or something , after 3 months ! . im debating weather to buy a set of wheel wideners ( i just sold a set on here ! talk about bad timing ) or i can get a set of schweeeet looking alloy rims with adjustable off set on ebay hk . a set of chrome standard rims are only 30 buck cheaper ! , dunno yet .

does any body know how the ''CRODZIRRA'' will handle with the rear steering locked or are they better than the stock clod cause its about 100mm longer ? clodzillamk2-1.jpg

I'm the same with my zilla ii, I'm axle mounting the servos and running the rear steering on the smallest throw of the servo, just to see how it goes. If I don't like how it handles, I'll just lock the rear and ru it that way, well I will once my new tyres turn up.

At least running 2x55t motors you'll be able to run a normal ESC in parallel.

Very Nice. My fist Clod was a Zilla 2 that I sold a while back. I wish I never sold it.

I'm having great fun designing cantelever suspension and building axle servo mounts for my zilla 2. It will probably look a little different by the time I finish.

I'm having great fun designing cantelever suspension and building axle servo mounts for my zilla 2. It will probably look a little different by the time I finish.

This may not directly translate to the Clodzilla set-up, but there's some useful guidelines about how different arrangements affect things in the Gmade article..

http://www.craftlab.net/bbs/zboard.php?id=...sc=asc&no=6

ok , well , the bearing set i odered from hongkong finaly turned up , guess when they say '' up to 16 working days '' , they mean it , expidited post or not ! . i ordered a set of stock chrome rims cause i couldnt find the ebay auction for the alloy multi adjusterble off set rims but 2 hours after i ordered the stocko's , i found the alloy ones ! any body want a set of brand new stock chrome rims ??? cheap :) .

i cleaned up the chassis and whacked the bearings in the diffs , put the new shocks on , replaced most of the rusty allen head screws with stainless screws and made up some new steering arms to replace the stock thin ones that had been put back on .. i would say that the alloy zilla ones where busted upcause the thin stocko one where all bent out of shape . i had bought 2 55t crawler motors but have had a change of plans and gone for 2 traxxas 21t titan motors , as one is set up in reverse , so i can go hard on the beach dunes here , ohh one thing they dont tell you is that you need to make/buy new pinion covers as the stock ones wont let you do the nuts up on screws that come with adjusterble mounts .

the alloy rims will take care of the need to buy wideners as i will make them wide as possible cause at the moment the tyres rub on the frame and shocks at different points in the turn and compression of the suspension . i had to place spacers under the bottom links arms to make clearence for the motors now that i fit adjusterble mounts . i am fitting plastic body mounts cause ihave read that some times after a roll-over the alloy zilla mounts can bend or twistthe chassis , plastic flexs , alloy dont ! . i mounted the esc and reciever on a lexan plate bolted to the top of the ladder frame and have ordered a plastic battery box to keep the battery secure , this will replase the '' zip-tie '' mounts the zilla had . i have fitted a set of alloy skid rails on the bottom of the diffs cause their are both showing signs of '' rock drag '' ..lol

i am torn between a black wrangler body and a red pick up body , both look good .. just carnt make up my mind on that one .. they are a few more bits coming for it but i have only just got my puter back as graphics card died ... so more to come ------crodzirra002.jpgcrodzirra007.jpgcrodzirra004.jpgCFDGBUEGkKGrHqRjE1NPEVRk1BNT189SyK0_3.jpgCB6bQSCWkKGrHqFi8E0Gj3kdG9BNJdEjzFMw_12.jpgcrodzirra008.jpg

i'll tell soon as i get them ! ..there coming from hong kong , so same deal as with the bearings .. up to 21 days , means 21 days in their speak .. even after paying 20 bucks postage i hope they are as good as the hype their give them ..

well , the amoeba 2 piece rims arrived .. w00t , are they nice .. with 4 different off sets to choose from , i picked the one that gave me an 1 inch on each side .. the centres bolted to the rims with 12 stainless steel allen bolts and stainless lock nuts . they have 2mm thick 12mm hex pieces to go in to the nut side of the hex in the centre you dont use so the axle bolts ups properly , i glued mine in , cause its a long way inside the rim , 3'' to the centre !!rcstuff011.jpgrcstuff010.jpg

i got a bit more done today . i made up the new alloy body post mounts to mount the jeep wrangler body , tidied up the wiring and put those new amoeba rims on .

man , do they look sexy ! with the centre in the position i want , i got about an inch on each side , i could get more but the rims would strain the hubs too much as they are have a bit of weight in them .if you look at the pics you will see the difference between the stock rims and the amoeba's , the rear wheel is the amoeba rims

crod018.jpg

the chassis cleaned up nice for an oldie . i cut the excess off the perspex tray on top of the chassis and double sided the esc and reciever on it and put the ariel in the centre away from all the electric leads . .i give the whole chassis a rub over with fine steel wool and this bought it up great .

crod023.jpg

the black wrangler body goes with the silver chassis and the anodized polished alloy rims and the black shocks ( it has silver shocks but 2 off them leaked like oil the bp oil rig in the gulf on new mexico ! )

crod022.jpg

all that remains to do , is put the traxxas motors in when the 13t pinions get here and put a front bash plate/bar on to protect the steering arms . i have yeah racing heat sinks for the motors to keep them cool

crod028.jpg

another good thong about the wide off set is the shocks dont rub up against the wheels under full compression . here i have the wheel lifted up 6" and no touching ! unlike the stock wheels . the rear wheel is the amoeba and the front one is stock .

crod025.jpg

Looking good - nice set of wheels and the offset prevent rubbing issues and cutting bodywork away !

Nice truck buddy,, am thinking on getting these wheels for my build, just wondering what adaptors if any did you use to get these to fit on the clod axles???

Rudi..

they have hexs machined in to the centres . you take the stock plastic drives of and use the brass 12mm hex that goes onthe axle .. easy as mate ..

they have hexs machined in to the centres . you take the stock plastic drives of and use the brass 12mm hex that goes onthe axle .. easy as mate ..

nice one buddy,, cheers for that :-)

Rudi..

this is a problem thathad to be fixed to fit the traxxas motors . the out side link arms hit the armiture so i used a shocky piston to space the links out .

rccars003.jpg

rccars002.jpg

the next problem was by useing the adjustable motor mounts ,the stock gear cover wont let you do the nuts up to hold the motors , i now know why they sell clear covers on ebay ! , i made these out of a bit of kydex .

rccars001.jpg

so here is the tidied chassis , basicly ready to run.

rccars005.jpg

and here it is with the wrangler body fitted with a few extras..

rccars007.jpg

hopefully the next pics will of the CRODZILLA hammering down the beach !

well , its still raining here in '' sunny tropical nth queensland ! had another 165mm today ! ;) , so it can clear up any time it likes , after all 5 months of rain is plenty .

the crodzilla and the rest of the rc tribe were getting moldy so i cleaned them up and took some pics of it and its cousins ..

clods017.jpg

the clodzilla is on the left and the tow truck is a TL01 and other is a modded clod with a basicly stock chassis .

that's a big difference between the Clodzilla and the normal Clod