Sign in to follow this  
KalEl63

Rally Mini Tyre Mod

I must say I really like Grahoo's Mini Rally…. Would love to do that to my spare M03 but not game enough to spend the money on the tyres and do the mod, plus I don’t have the talent to do that!!

Has anyone done the tyre mod and was it hard or did you stuff up the first one or two before getting it right?

Grahoo's Mini is one of the best RC car mods I have seen.

These two M03's are the only mini's I have now after I sold my full restored 1963 mini that cost me a small fortune to restore (sorry I know it's not RC related just a side note to the real thread)

I would just buy the M05RA tyres.

I have done it and it works well once you have glued them. I didn't do a perfect job, but it worked.

Take your time and use you decent scalpel or craft knife. Kitchen knives make it harder to do.

Oh ok cool, one stupid question gathering by your post I would still have to trim them down? or would I be best to but the wheels too and fit them as a kit considering I will be rasing the body mounting?

Enroute did some for the M chassis wheels a few years ago,i had a couple of sets,not sure if you can still get them though,

http://www.enroute.co.jp/team-lynx/

Square did some that worked superb,but they were very expensive.

I would go with the new Tamiya ones as Butler mentioned :lol:

Non of these need trimming or cutting.

Oh ok cool, one stupid question gathering by your post I would still have to trim them down?

You can buy the touring car size rally blocks, and cut the tread and reglue them, but Tamiya have done the work for you by making rally tyres in mini size for the M05RA, part number is 51427.

If you really want the look of touring car rally blocks then Corsair Racing makes mini size rally blocks identical to cut down touring tyres here.

Thanks for the links and advice greatly appreciated. I am going to get the M05RA tyres and I am thinking of getting these shocks for it TAM50519 or do people recommend something different?

Also what could you use to print out custom decals?

Thanks for the links and advice greatly appreciated. I am going to get the M05RA tyres and I am thinking of getting these shocks for it TAM50519 or do people recommend something different?

I would suggest the 50746 Super Mini shocks. They give much more compression travel, and if you build them without the internal spacer, they have plenty of downtravel for rally.

Oh ok… excuse my ignorance with a lack of knowledge but what do you mean by the internal spacer?

What about 54000… overkill?

I pulled out the space M03 tonight and started looking over what I need in line with Grahoo's Mini, seems only the tyres/wheels, shocks and some parts that are recommended for strength.... need to get a body and figure a paint job too.

I think I will do this first before getting the Avante

Oh ok… excuse my ignorance with a lack of knowledge but what do you mean by the internal spacer?

What about 54000… overkill?

There is an internal spacer supplied with the shocks to limit travel. It's the suggested way to build the shocks for an on-road mini but you could leave it out for more travel. All would be clear when you had them.

#54000 are great for on-road but they don't have the option of running longer travel. You could try some touring size shocks (eg #42102). Depends how importance ground clearance and bump handling is to your rally project.