CARRERA

FAV AND WILD ONE'S APPEAR TO BE POPULAR?

I know I am a big fan of the FAV and Wild One however, I have noticed there appears to have been an increased interest in these two models of late.

This is evident in the number being posted in our showrooms. When I last posted an FAV in my showroom the other day, I was surprised at the comments left by fellow members, in fact it was starting to turn into a forum discussion on whether or not the FAV / Wild One should or should not be released! Great comments! It was even sais that due to being re-released, the Sand Scorcher had lost it's 'sting' (great word!).

I was just curious if other members had noted this? I don't want this to turn into a re-release for and against topic, it's more of a popularity question.

Any thoughts would be welcome...

Thanks.

I have noticed the same. Myself, I happened to come across one Fast Attack Vehicle last year. It was just a lucky find, and a restoration that I enjoyed lots, but never before felt any interest in these models. Anyway, after seeing what happened to the 1979 Sand Scorcher original body molds when seven years later (1986) Tamiya released the Monster Beetle, I guess we can expect the same thing. I believe the original molds for the Fast Attack Vehicle were modified (ruined) to make the Wild One parts, which are different. So a F.A.V. re-release would really really be a very hard thing to believe. Perhaps they can make a Wild One re-release, but not a F.A.V. one (of course, they can make a lexan bodied "FAV", but I doubt an exact one). So, in terms of collectivity, since other legendary models are falling in disgrace because of the rereleases, these ones still stand out among the other models because they remain rare and hard to find in perfect conditions. I know the collectors between us do love that.

Have a good Friday!

EB

--

I don't believe any FAV parts were butchered at least bodypart-wise when Tamiya moved onto making the Wild One. The molds for creating the FAV bonnet etc are plastic injection molds where as the Wild One uses an open buck for vac forming so there should be no reason why the FAV molds were modified etc. Even if the original FAV molds have gone awol such components as the bonnet and roof etc are so simplistic and I don't see the other components being too difficult to regenerate. I do believe the interest in these 2 cars has soared with the advent of other classics being re-released. People have filled the Sand Scorcher void and now looking for the next classic. I'm an advocate for Tamiya ceasing their re-release program so that there are still some special cars out there to piece out, source and something of a rarity. I'd much rather Tamiya develop new models in a vintage vain perhaps do sequels of vintage cars but with interesting suspension components and styling that differs from car to car, not the 1 chassis phylosophy and multiple shells. Come on it's time to see a Wild One 2 and a Frog 2 etc etc... One compromise i have been grateful for is the odd re issue of bodysets etc, some wheels including tires and decals also would make me very happy :rolleyes:

James

I've got agree! They do seem to be very popular.

I've been looking for a Wild One for about 4 months and I'm constantly surpirsed by the prices for examples in fairly average condition. It is my observation that Wild Ones prices are similar to the Super Champ and Sand Scorcher etc.

I'm crossing my fingers for a Wild One re-release.

It's funny tho, I've seen a lot of Super Champs about too and not overly expensive which seems a little odd to me. One would expect to see Champs and XLT's to start climbing shortly. I do think we will see a Blackfoot shell come into existence sometime soon so best stock up on the rear alloy hoop/body mount. I know if I had a blackfoot shell handy right now I'd be playing with it to fit a Scorcher/BC chassis...

James

Anyways back to the FAV and Wild One popularity and discussion of their re-release if ever...

I think it comes down to the fact the FAV/Wild One are two of the few remaining models with collector appeal that Tamiya haven't re-issued yet. There is still exclusivity in owning them. A big part of the attraction of these cars is they are one of the last buggies Tamiya released that was roughly based on a realistic chassis (Chenoweth buggies). They're transitionary cars between scale RC models with lots of metal parts, and dedicated plastic RC cars.

We saw similar increases in interest for the Avante over time, until it pretty much became the new 'grail' car after the Sand Scorcher was reissued.

- James

I agree the Wild one is one of the most realistic vehicles out there... I have loved them for a long time and when a kid never had the money to buy one and now that i'm back into it just can't justify the expense for as stated average condition... when i hear the re-release is evident then, I'm going to have to pamper the wife and make her see that to have one of these is a once in a lifetime opportunity.... for me anyway.. Has anyone ever seen one modified with brushless engines etc? I've only ever seen standard ones.

Come on Tamiya bring it on.. let's get Wild (one)

I´ve noticed it too, and i like it a lot! Especially considering all the new guys joining our Wild One SIG, and the already-present members there uploading new pics to the SIG too. Thanks a lot for that. ;)

Also, even though i really like the fun of sourcing parts for the WO, i too wouldn´t mind a re-re, as i run mine a bit hard occasionally, and with the Tamiya Superstock RZ, it goes pretty well too, so i guess i will need some parts at some point, LOL..

Also, probably being the last of the old buggies that actually LOOKS like a real car, i think it adds to the collectability of the Wild One and FAV´s, and as in most other vintage models, we have seen loads of great conversions, new style paintjobs and so on, which is really great.. If you take, for instance, a ThunderShot, how can THAT be transformed into a real-style Baja Racer? It has been done lots of times with RR´s, SS´s and so on, but when it comes to driveability, the Wild One wins by miles in my opinion, which i also believe to be a main reason for it´s popularity, namely that you CAN make it go pretty fast, and it still handles quite well, (well, if you swap the stock wheels and tyres for others, that is, LOL)..

Also, the FAV drives pretty good for it´s old design, and looks a bit "Grasshopper-ish" bouncing around on it´s purely springloaded suspension, which also adds to the fun, but even though it looks rather funny bouncin´round, it still offers quite good manners when offroading in my opinion..

Besides the RZ-motor, heatsink and ESC, the only mod to my Wild One right now are Buggy Champ tyres mounted on alloy rims, which has REALLY improved it´s stability at high speeds, especially when it comes to turning...

Last year, i actually outran 2 Associated B4´s on the buggytrack in my old club with the RZ-powered Wild One, and both the B4´s were running 17X2 motors.. The drivers were obviously not pros, but it was still great fun to see that old car beat the c*** out of those 2 modern buggies. :(

Anyway, i like the popularity that the WO and FAV are having, and hope lots of people will get theirs up and running, because they are good fun, and in my experience, not as fragile as they often get credit for.. I have yet to bust the tranny in mine, even though none of it has been upgraded yet. :rolleyes:

Cheers..

Michael

The Wild One was my favorite as a kid. Mine was a used tatty example but I enjoyed it so much. Swapped it for a wreck of a Wild Willy, should have never of done that.

After searching for some time I got myself a near mint Wild One which I occasionally run. As mentioned above part of the charm is the looks, the two seater cockpit & the roll cage look awesome.

Also mentioned is the handling. Compared to vintage Tamiya buggies from the same era the Wild One handles so much better, way better than my Frog & my friends Hornet.

I can understand that in the right hands it could give some modern buggys a run for the money & even if you do loose, you look way cooler doing so with a Wild One.

I know I am a big fan of the FAV and Wild One however, I have noticed there appears to have been an increased interest in these two models of late.

This is evident in the number being posted in our showrooms. When I last posted an FAV in my showroom the other day, I was surprised at the comments left by fellow members, in fact it was starting to turn into a forum discussion on whether or not the FAV / Wild One should or should not be released! Great comments! It was even sais that due to being re-released, the Sand Scorcher had lost it's 'sting' (great word!).

I was just curious if other members had noted this? I don't want this to turn into a re-release for and against topic, it's more of a popularity question.

Any thoughts would be welcome...

Thanks.

I guess you missed my poll on whether Tamiya should re-re the FAV ;)

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=59540&hl=