BeetleLover

Who collects decals/off-cuts/leftovers?

Occassionally you see a post where someone is just after a number or maybe a sponser decal to finish of a restoration... Is there anyone out there nerdy with too much time on there hands like myself to cut out and file their decals by sponsers, numbers, cars etc, I have pages of "Tamiya" and the resistor "caution hot" decals lol :rolleyes:

I've been using an older style photo album with the slightly tacky surface to it and the clear cover sheet rolls over keeping your decals in place and pristine. It's been perfect but you gotta make sure you use a scalpel blade edge to lift the decal and its backing off the page otherwise with fingers you find yourself peeling the decal off its backing accidentally!

I had better pictures of my decal collecting but alas my album is 3000 k's away at the moment ;)

James

decals.jpg

post-4557-1296793784_thumb.jpg

I collect my leftover decals in a folder in A4 plastic sheets in my hobbyroom in the dark .

I leave them uncut and just pile them up in a carton. This keeps them nice and flat and also protects them from light :rolleyes:

Occassionally you see a post where someone is just after a number or maybe a sponser decal to finish of a restoration... Is there anyone out there nerdy with too much time on there hands like myself to cut out and file their decals by sponsers, numbers, cars etc, I have pages of "Tamiya" and the resistor "caution hot" decals lol ;)

I've been using an older style photo album with the slightly tacky surface to it and the clear cover sheet rolls over keeping your decals in place and pristine. It's been perfect but you gotta make sure you use a scalpel blade edge to lift the decal and its backing off the page otherwise with fingers you find yourself peeling the decal off its backing accidentally!

I had better pictures of my decal collecting but alas my album is 3000 k's away at the moment :(

James

decals.jpg

I have heard that these style photo albums are bad for photos.

The chemicals from the tacky surface leeches through into the photos over time.

I imagine the same would happen to decals.

But I could be wrong, it is just a guess. :rolleyes:

Gosh didn't know that, I have a feeling that the waxy surface on the backing would probably stop something coming through to the decal, I've had them in here a few years now with no ill effects, hopefully I'll get to apply them all before that ever happens!!! lol

James

Gosh didn't know that, I have a feeling that the waxy surface on the backing would probably stop something coming through to the decal, I've had them in here a few years now with no ill effects, hopefully I'll get to apply them all before that ever happens!!! lol

James

The waxy backing would provide some protection I guess.

Keep building and use up those decals!! :rolleyes:

mine are thrown in some drawer with shock oil leaking on them lol

Thats good the shock oil will keep them from rusting.

skip

I kept the seat belt decal from a Blackfoot for over 20 years and when I needed I remembered I recently disregarded it in the shed a.k.a the abyss.

I collect my leftover decals in a folder in A4 plastic sheets in my hobbyroom in the dark .

+1

I just keep them in a draw on my hobby desk in my hobby shed. Speaking of which, I am chasing the window net stickers for a Boomerang. Can anybody help? RE-RE - Vintage don't care! Send me an email if you can help.

damienkent@hotmail.com