Sign in to follow this  
Static Age

Play in Frog front arms

As the title suggests. My frog (rere) has quite a bit of play in the front arms, back/forth, up/down. It has taken quite a bashing to be fair. Has anyone worked out how to remove this play or is it a case of buying new parts?

As the title suggests. My frog (rere) has quite a bit of play in the front arms, back/forth, up/down. It has taken quite a bashing to be fair. Has anyone worked out how to remove this play or is it a case of buying new parts?

I have shimmed out the front with thin shim washers where possible , it tightens some of it up , mainly the front to back movement , but as Dan said ,some play is needed and thats the fun with RC's ;)

Thanks for the reply's guys. I didnt expect it would be possible to eliminate all of the play.

The brass tubing suggested above gives me an idea. The biggest problem area is where steel rod that connects to the front bumper mount passes though each lower arm. Its caused the aluminium piece to wear, not surprising as its so much harder. If the alu piece & lower arm were drilled out I lined with a brass tube then this would sort alot of the play out.

Remeiber the brass tube bushing that used to be supplied for mounting dampers with the old kits? some of that would be perfect, anyone know where I can buy a length. I'm gesssing its 4mm I/D?

have you tried a quarter turn of the locknut on the tie rod bars? the ones fixed to the bumper. tighten them up a smidgin, not enough to cause binding. i reckon this will actually solve a lot of your issues...

how about the brass bushes on the Thundershot I think, one end has has a lip on it. You could carefully drill one side of the Frog wishbones out a little so it shims in there, you could epoxy it in there and if necessary leave the lip out a little and not flush with the part to take out the slack... between the ally bracket...

James