mongoose1983

Subaru Brat from scratch (resto/build)

I'm having so much fun working this little truck that I decided to come up with some sort of resto/build post. Mostly pictures. This was made with parts that I got through many TCers around the world. You can see the names here: International Subaru Brat part.1. By now I exchanged some more parts, so the RS380 motor, and the correct front wheels, as well as the MSC and other bits are on their way to me from abroad. Radio gear will be correct period Futaba. Nothing beats a good Futaba radio. Anyway, I left the chit-chat here and... to the pictures.

Hope you enjoy the process, I know I am enjoying it a lot ;)

01-3.jpg

02-4.jpg

03-5.jpg

04-4.jpg

05-2.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08-1.jpg

09.jpg

Looking good Erich! I've yet to get a Brat together which is funny as it's one of my favourite bodies, both the model and the original ute. I hope to work on my Mudblaster soon, I think I have most of the parts but boy is it going to be a mission to find them, probably take longer than the actual build and paint! Your collection is coming along nicely, you'll need to move to a bigger home so you can continue to accelerate your collecting ;)

James

Looking good Erich! I've yet to get a Brat together which is funny as it's one of my favourite bodies, both the model and the original ute. I hope to work on my Mudblaster soon, I think I have most of the parts but boy is it going to be a mission to find them, probably take longer than the actual build and paint! Your collection is coming along nicely, you'll need to move to a bigger home so you can continue to accelerate your collecting ;)

James

Thanks, James. These Brats are addictive. Most Tamiyas are, but this one must be one the most there is. B) Anyway, I have 13 models now, pick-ups and buggies. I unfortunately had to sell the Toyota pick-up last month because things have not been good in here. But still, this Brat is my main project this year. It's been made up with very cheap parts, and so it's been a nice pastime to get all of the bits together. I'm also slowly starting another project, but that one can take more than one year so I'm keeping it to myself. But if the year gets better financially I think I will find a way to get a Wrangler Jeep, which is the model that's been haunting me for a year now. Not that easy, huh.

Anyway, hope you have a great Monday, James! ;)

Nice build man! I love them Brats as well
Thanks, Renier. Just last night I was having a look at your original Subaru Brat in Tamiya Base. You have a real nice specimen there, because all of the parts seem to be original. It would be nice if you could upload some pictures of your restoration work, mate. :rolleyes:

A little progress on body details. Hopefully next weekend I will be able to finish all the chrome bits (door handles and pick-up lines) and the red brake lights so I can put the original decals on. The chassis in the picture belongs to my back Brat.

01-5.jpg

02-6.jpg

03-6.jpg

04-5.jpg

Next weekend will look much better, because I am also working on a clear front windshield. Hopefully it will work. :rolleyes:

You all have a great Sunday!

Guest Bonzodog

Very nice work, good attention to detail.

I too like the Brat but like yourself, I had to sell it last year, Doh.

Still not complete. Last night I spent a few hours working on the last body details. Painting is definitely not my thing. I rather work 10 chassis than to paint one car. Anyway, today I spent an hour and a half cutting the decals until I found out these d*mn decals are not made to fit the Subaru body. I had a VERY hard time trying to make the rear decal fit the door-handle and logo, and today I just gave up, and I have this hateful burning feeling on my chest. Tamiya quality changed WAY too much the last decade. :)

01-6.jpg

02-7.jpg

03-7.jpg

04-6.jpg

05-3.jpg

07-1.jpg

Hi there

The Brat looks fantastic and was allways my favourite.

yours looks great.

cool bodyworking

Hi there

The Brat looks fantastic and was allways my favourite.

yours looks great.

cool bodyworking

Thanks for the positive comment, Mykel. Unfortunately, I'm having problems with the re-re decals and could not finish the bodywork today. I'm expecting some ideas on how to make these decals fit the Brat's hard body. Funny thing in the past Tamiya used to make precision kits.

Have a good Monday!

Oh, well. Here is another Tamiya model that has taken me rather long to finish (see pictures below). So far the most complicated thing (in a rather complex body to finish itself) was the decalling process (see my rants and other stuff related to it HERE).

Now the truck is not perfect, but it looks better than I expected when finished.

I would definitely recommend this particular model to anybody who is interested in RCing and static models. It's one of the most iconic models in the Tamiya catalog. Should bring a smile to most people when looking at it on the shelf or running on dirt. An excellent vehicle all around!

A BIG THANK YOU to all the people who helped me to reach the final step. I'm happy now with my original Fast Attack Vehicle!

You all have a great Tuesday!

sept1911078.jpg

007-1.jpg

009.jpg

003-3.jpg

That looks sick!! Brilliant job!! Deacls must have been a pain though! Have you got the front wheels in this picture still though??

I'm having so much fun working this little truck that I decided to come up with some sort of resto/build post. Mostly pictures. This was made with parts that I got through many TCers around the world. You can see the names here: International Subaru Brat part.1. By now I exchanged some more parts, so the RS380 motor, and the correct front wheels, as well as the MSC and other bits are on their way to me from abroad. Radio gear will be correct period Futaba. Nothing beats a good Futaba radio. Anyway, I left the chit-chat here and... to the pictures.

Hope you enjoy the process, I know I am enjoying it a lot :)

01-3.jpg

That looks sick!! Brilliant job!! Deacls must have been a pain though! Have you got the front wheels in this picture still though??

Thanks for the positive comment, Will. I still have the front wheels now mounted on another chassis. I changed the tires, though. Want to trade?

yeah ..ok .. it passes ! lol ..i hate it when a project takes sooo long to do cause of little stuff ups ! .

yeah ..ok .. it passes ! lol ..i hate it when a project takes sooo long to do cause of little stuff ups ! .

Ha ha. Actually, the decals issue got me pretty frustrated as it was a total surprise to me. But it was that, and also everyday life. There's always tons to do, and believe me, the Brat body takes an awful lot of time and work to finish.

Thanks for the positive comment. Have a good one, commiedoor!

Ha ha. Actually, the decals issue got me pretty frustrated as it was a total surprise to me. But it was that, and also everyday life. There's always tons to do, and believe me, the Brat body takes an awful lot of time and work to finish.

Thanks for the positive comment. Have a good one, commiedoor!

Aaah that's so nice.

You have done a great job on that. What i like best its not a Rere . Mine was done from a new re re body which would have been a little easier to do.

I really like the clear windows too. Im not sure if my mate had the same problem with the decals. I did ask him but he said it was fine.

Have posted my finished Brat on the RE RE thread if you want a look.

Great job and just love the bare metal foil work.

Aaah that's so nice.

You have done a great job on that. What i like best its not a Rere . Mine was done from a new re re body which would have been a little easier to do.

I really like the clear windows too. Im not sure if my mate had the same problem with the decals. I did ask him but he said it was fine.

Have posted my finished Brat on the RE RE thread if you want a look.

Great job and just love the bare metal foil work.

Hi mate. Just had a look at your truck. Looks really nice!

I agree with the clear windows -tinted windows are such a turn-off on these trucks!

BTW I have another Brat (in black) with the clear windows... will post one or two pics of that one someday.

Have a good Wednesday! :D

Thanks for the positive comment, Will. I still have the front wheels now mounted on another chassis. I changed the tires, though. Want to trade?

You have PM!

nice work and i think the original Brats came with clear windows.like mine also has but the shell is fitted to a Xc-01 chassis