Sign in to follow this  
BeetleMeister

How do I connect this ESC???

I was recently given this (see link to my showroom). From previous threads you may know I have never had an ESC before I know very little about them. My problem is, how do I connect it to my car? I can see where it plugs in to the reciever...but all the other wires have me confused...one must go to the motor, right?...and the other? HELP! [:(][8)][xx(]

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=7043&id=565

red/black generally is battery and red/blue motor.

Also, in general you put the male plug on the power supply side so that you can test the esc with the motor disconnected and not have to worry about shorting out the leads from exposed pins. This also puts Female on the battery itself which will prevent a short across the exposed leads which could occur on a male plug.

That esc must be a forward only, as the positive on the battery is going directly to the motor, a so-called 3-wire setup, supposed to give more power because of shorter overall wire length.

Hope I helped,

-Anthony

So how do I connect it to the battery and motor as the connections are way different to what I'm used to? Please excuse my "thickness" here, I just dont want to short eveything and runin my battry and motor!

To connect it to your car you need to replace the connectors which ones that natch those you already have. Cut off the red/black pair and solder them to a battery connector. Then cut off the red/blue connector and solder them either to a motor connector or directly to the motor. Make sure the solder joints are insulated using tape or heatshrink tubing so they cannot short out. If you are unsure of what you are doing replace one connector before replacing the other and you should have no problems.

Thanks for your help guys. I dont have a soldering iron so my LHS can sort this for me. Any ideas how i set this up once its all connected ok? I have no instructions with it...just whats in the pic! There are 2 little screw heads recessed in the bottom of the ESC which arnt for holding it together. Could these be anything to do with it?

He BeetleMeister,

It's a Ko-Propo RM-7 ESC right! go to www.kopropo.com en go to contact us asking them how to setup your ESC.

I think they will help you.

Good luck.

Greatz Whacky.

Those low-resistance plugs are typically called "Deans" connectors, and it might be an idea to keep them rather than putting the leads any more.

Those connectors even appear to be on KO's option list, but shouldn't be hard to find at a good LHS. Buy some extra plugs from them and they should be happy to rewire your motors and batteries to suit.

Or if you insist on keeping Tamiya plugs... perhaps get just 2 new plugs and ask them to build you some "adaptor" cables.

Ko Propo have been no help! Does anyonw know anything about this ESC? mainly motor limit? I cant seem to find anything on the web...help please..anyone?? [V][8)][:(]

If anyone can help, it should be me, as I work for KO PROPO(UK). The speed controller is a fairly old model, certainly not available in the UK since 1995. The first and the most vital thing to check is the wiring to the receiver plug. During the 90's, KO switched around the wires to match everyone else in the r/c industry. Wiring should be Black/Red/Blue, to match your receiver. Generally, you should cut off the connectors that are on there, unless you have more of them, and then lengthen the wires. Red/Black to battery connector, Red/Blue motor wires. If anyone is wondering what is happening with KO PROPO (UK), their UK offices are now closed, and are re-locating to Japan to become KO PROPO INTERNATIONAL. UK distribution is now through Helger Racing. Hope this helps.

A bit more info for you. The 2 recesed screws are the set-up screws for the speed controller. One of them is the neutral pot (normally the left pot), basically, set your transmitter trim to the middle, then, with everything connected, rotate the left pot so that the motor does not rotate. We are checking through the archives to find out when this speed controller was released, we now think early to mid eighties......Watch this space.

WVM your a star! I'm selling it on Ebay right now and people keep asking me questions i dont know the answer to! Most often its "whats the motor rating?".....like i know [?]. Any more info you can give me would be VERY welcome!

Well, to be totally honest, we have no idea as to the rating on motors for the speedo. I would guess around a 15 turn max. If it goes wrong, there are certainly no parts available for it, We in the UK have never seen this one before. There are no instructions for it anymore...... have you tested it yet? We now think late 70's/early 80's for the speedo..... basically we haven't got a clue....Good luck.

Thanks WVM...its on Ebay at the mo, and I've passed your info on to the guy who was asking...he's bid the grand sum of £16 now! Finishes at 11am, tuesday....I'll let you know what happens. Do you think £16 is a good price?[?]

Only one word to describe £16.......RESULT, mind you, people will pay that for a mechanical speed controller so...