wildwillydriver

Tamiya TR-15T GP Stadium Truck (#44001) Restoration

Thanks a lot for your post, but please don't ask me an electric conversion on it.......... :P

If you want to see something very similar and electric you have just to go for a Dyna Blaster. B)

Yes you are right, but generally what you say happens if the engine is old and not well mantained (gaskets, o-rings, seals....), on well mantained nitro cars i can have "clean" runs.....

I'll try to rebuilt this engine at best and we will see what happens at firts start up....... :P

Following this topic you will know..... :D

Bye

WWD

:)

yeah the nitro i refer to was a kyosho 2wd and 4wd both had the exhaust down the side....which blew gunk all over the chassis!...also had one of the first schumacher nitro 10's.tho that was clean cos it rarely started!!! :D

Ok it' time to start to look at the heart of the car the engine....... B)
The car has an FS-15 (2,5cc) nitro engine made by TOKI, with rotary carb, side exaust and pull start, very simple and easy to work on.

Let's see how it arrived to me....... :blink:

img501_16102013143006_1.jpg

This will be "fun" to clean......... :angry:

img501_16102013143006_2.jpg

Dust, dirt and burnt nitro. :(

img501_16102013143006_3.jpg

It's time to start the strip process. B)

Half way....

img501_16102013143006_4.jpg

Engine finally open....

img501_16102013143006_5.jpg

Totally stripped down. B)

img501_16102013143006_6.jpg

The Strip down went through well and without problems due to nitro gum up, also the piston liner came out very easily, a rare event on old nitro engines.
As you can see it needs a very good clean both outside and inside and suffered some oxidation in particular on the head.

Bad points during strip down:

1) Back plate gasket gone...... (i'll make another one)
2) Piston pin has to be replaced (got the spare, pics soon...)

Stay tuned for the "How to clean a nitro engine" tutorial..... ;)B)

Bye
WWD

• Like 1

Hi!

Nice tread...:( Remember seeing this car in the Tamiya catalouge back in the day and dreamed...

This is my first post here :)

I currently rebuild my long gone Dyna Blaster. And i see you leave the bronze bearing in the diff gear. I have changed to a ball bearing, but that is maybe a bummer...

What do you think?

Zlimmy

• Like 1

Hi!

Nice tread...:( Remember seeing this car in the Tamiya catalouge back in the day and dreamed...

This is my first post here :)

I currently rebuild my long gone Dyna Blaster. And i see you leave the bronze bearing in the diff gear. I have changed to a ball bearing, but that is maybe a bummer...

What do you think?

Zlimmy

Hi,

welcome to the TC forum and thanks for your post.

I decided to leave the bronze bearing since i'll never use this car much and the diff will not suffer big stress and also becuase i was after bearings and i was in a hurry to close the diff.......... :P

It's not a bummer but it's a good move in particular on a car that is used a lot.

Thanks again and hope you will show us you Dyna Blaster finished.

Bye

WWD

;)

• Like 1

love the wheels on your car, got me some for my Wendy a while ago

Wendy%20II%202%20chassis%20rightrear.jpg

great tip with the bostik think I will try that too.

ps. any luck on my j3 part? I see you are pretty busy :(

• Like 1

That was what i thougt too. Has to say that particular bearing was replaced back in 94 or so, but i noticed it when i opned the diff.

Will post some pics when finished.

Need some parts tho for a perfect rebuild, front damper stay, belcrank, and front block. All has brittle at screw holes...

Hope to get TR-15T parts as these are compitable and stronger.

Thx

Zlimmy

I'm back again!

Let's go on and clean the gummed up engine.
Over the years i found that the best products to clean an old nitro engines are Arexons Fulcron (see my cleaning products pic) a strong cleaner degreaser easy to find here in Italy and surprise surprise the baking powder....!!! :blink: Go for the "chemical" one not the natural yeast or brewer's yeast! ;)
Sometime if the engine it's not too gummed up just the Arexons Fulcron can do the job, this is not the case, muffler in particular....... so after a first fulcron bath i went for the baking powder treatment.

The tools....

img501_16102013144016_1.jpg

Have some boiling water and add to the baking powder, SLOOOOOWLY....... you can see why here below.....

img501_16102013144016_2.jpg

Add enough water to cover all engine parts and then put ALL the parts you want to clean inside even the liner, piston, crankshaft...... B)

img501_16102013144016_3.jpg

Wait until the water is warm enough to put your hands inside and use the toothbrush on your parts and just look the dirt go away, results are amazing.... B) In case of very gummed up parts you have to do more than one bath. Don't worry the engine metal won't suffer at all from the baking powder just the nitro.....
Here below the result. B)

img501_16102013144016_4.jpg

After the baking powder bath wash everything with water, dry and oil all moving parts with the right oils.

That's all for today, next will be how to make gaskets and motor rebuilt.

Bye
WWD

• Like 1

I'm here again, with a little "how to" post since it's time to make the gasket for back plate.

When you have to deal with nitro engines (new or old) it’s not uncommon that gaskets do not resist the stripping process…… If the engine it’s old, spare gaskets can be very hard to find, here below how you can go through this “issue”… B)

First of let’s see what you need:

- Gasket material (can be found on the web)
- Scissors
- Reamer
- Good cutters
- Patience…. :)

img501_16102013144016_5.jpg

You have to work with your crankcase in hand and use the reamer make the first 2 screws holes than cut away the extra gasket material using scissors. Done!

img501_16102013144016_6.jpg

It’s now time to make the back plate hole using a good cutter. Done!

img501_16102013144703_1.jpg

Use the reamer to make the other holes. Done!

img501_16102013144703_2.jpg

Now put back the back plate and with your cutter, cut away all the extra gasket material. This is a lot easier on engines without pull start (not like the one in pictures – TR-15T one).

img501_16102013144703_3.jpg

After a good cutter work you have your gasket, not cosmetically perfect but it works. Done!

img501_16102013144703_4.jpg

Now everything is done and the engine it's ready for the rebuilt.

img501_16102013144703_5.jpg

Engine rebuilt will be the next step....

Bye
WWD

• Like 1

It' time to rebuilt the engine, this will be a long post that will keep you busy for all the week end..... :D

Let's start from the products i will use:

- Nova Rossi Engine Oil (specifically formulated to rebuilt nitro engines)
- After Run
- Specific One Way Bearing Oil (I use the Serpent one)

img501_16102013144703_6.jpg

Before assemble the motor i had to put a new piston pin (thanks Myles.... ;)), you can see why by the pic below...... The small white piece you see near the piston is what was left of the pin stopper...... :blink:
I'm a lucky man since the previous owner stopped the car after the clutch failure and the liner and piston are still perfect i think that a couple of minutes more and i had to find new ones...... ;)

img501_16102013153259_1.jpgimg501_16102013153259_2.jpg

Ok done! It's time to start the engine.

img501_16102013153259_3.jpgimg501_16102013153259_4.jpg

img501_16102013153259_6.jpg

Before put back the carb i put some Associated Green Slime on the o-ring for better seal. Then my attention went on the pull start one way bearing that was cleaned degreased and received a couple of One Way Bearing Oil drops, this oil is "magic" and can make an old one way works "like new".

img501_16102013153655_1.jpgimg501_16102013153655_2.jpg

And then everything back together and the engine is done and shine again! It runs smooth and with good compression, let's wait for the firts street test to know how it perform. B)

img501_16102013153655_3.jpg

img501_16102013153655_4.jpg

img501_16102013153655_5.jpg

With a nice K&N filter...... B)

img501_16102013153655_6.jpg

It's now time to go for the flywheel, clutch, pinion and brake before put back the engine on the car, here below all the parts needed and ready.

img501_16102013154332_1.jpg

That's all for this week wish you all a nice week end and thank you for your attention. :)

Bye
WWD

• Like 1

I'm back with some good update!

It's time to assemble all the clutch and flywheel system, bearings are a litte bit loose and Bostik came in help.....

img501_16102013154332_2.jpg

And i start to assemble everything with the help of a piston stopper to close the Pilot Shaft.

img501_16102013154332_3.jpg

Done!

img501_16102013154332_4.jpg

Ready to be back on the Chassis! B)

Brake system with Hop Up disk (Tamiya part #53171)

img501_16102013154332_5.jpg

And mechanism deck with radio gear and fail safe.

img501_16102013155656_1.jpg

And fianlly the roll bar to protect the engine.

img501_16102013155656_2.jpg

Cleaned the body that it's not perfect but can do the job, considering that it's a runner. If i'll ever have the time and will i have the clear one with new decals to paint in metallic green.

img501_16102013155656_3.jpg

I'm very near the end and at the firts test, i'm now working on the original tyres and wheels and also on an alternative solution that i'll show you when ready.
The original one are a little bit dry rotted and wheels lost some chrome but i think i'll use them to run the car and keep the new one i have for the future considering they are not easy to be found (tyres).

Soon i'll be able to show you some pictures of the finished car.

Bye
WWD

• Like 2

This is looking so neat! :o Really, awesome resto - please NEVER EVER remove this pictures in the future like the case with some old topics now :( Now I see this puppy I start wanting a TR-15T (though I'd still convert it to electric or don't drive it (and keep driving my Dyna :P)

• Like 1

This is looking so neat! :o Really, awesome resto - please NEVER EVER remove this pictures in the future like the case with some old topics now :o Now I see this puppy I start wanting a TR-15T (though I'd still convert it to electric or don't drive it (and keep driving my Dyna :P)

Thanks mate, don't worry i'll never touch this pictures. I always wanted a TR-15T but now that i see and work on one so closely i'm in love with it and look foward to the firts test run.

Stay tuned! :(

Bye

WWD

:P

• Like 1

Inspiring.

VERY WELL DONE. You make it seem so easy!

Very impressive work and results. I should have sent you the basket case one I had a few years back.

It's very enjoyable to read and see your progress. You might need a wheelie bar shortly! :P:(

• Like 1

That is cool! Makes me want to bust out my TG10 MK.1s...

Really nice work, especially with the engine! Hope it runs well and powerful!

Cheers,

Skottoman

• Like 1

Inspiring.
VERY WELL DONE. You make it seem so easy!

Very impressive work and results. I should have sent you the basket case one I had a few years back.
It's very enjoyable to read and see your progress. You might need a wheelie bar shortly! :DB)

Thanks mate! I'm with you about the wheelie bar....... B):P

That is cool! Makes me want to bust out my TG10 MK.1s...

Really nice work, especially with the engine! Hope it runs well and powerful!
Cheers,
Skottoman

Thanks, i love to work on old nitro engine and with experience, and elbow grease results are great.
About performance i'm really curious to test the car and the engine to see how they perform, if you look at how the piston pin was you can understand that the motor had some "good use".... hope it still has some life in, compression seems to be good enough, even if i don't have a new one to compare.
For sure the motor is not an engineering masterpiece and there is not much attention to details (if i can say like this...), have a look at how the crankcase is inside, were the liner seats, it looks like a broken one after a strong engine seize..... :blink: :blink:
The pic below is my engine after the clean but i have a NEW crankcase and it looks the same....... :mellow: When i stripped the engine i though it was damaged, i felt better when i saw the new one.... :)

img501_16102013154332_6.jpg

Car is near the end now, i just finished to "restore" tyres, will add pictures soon.

Bye
WWD

The end of resto is near, the last step is dedicated to tyres and wheels, they are not in the best condition ever but good enough to be saved and used for the firts test run, i decided to save my nib set for the future considering also the rarity of the original tyres. I have also found a nice aftermarket combination of tyres and wheels that i think will be perfect to run the car giving also a cool look, i'll show them as soon as they are ready.
Now back to the original ones here what i did after a good bath.

I had to remove the old glue and to glue again the rear ones, i used Duratrax Tyre Glue and rubber band. I had to remove all the chrome from the wheels were the tyres glue to them, the previous owner didn't do it.... :(

img501_16102013155656_4.jpg

img501_16102013155656_5.jpg

After, my attention went to tyres that needed a NIVEA cream treatment to have back some softness. It works wonder! B)

img501_16102013155656_6.jpg

And to finish the tyres some white lettering and a "Rubber Black" coat did the trick, now tyres shine.

img501_16102013161836_1.jpg

I'm at the end of my resto, soon will post some pics of the finisched car! B)

Bye
WWD

whats a car like this worth, say if it is a new build or in good complete condition?

btw. wildwillydriver I love your tips and tricks, backingpowder worked great.

whats a car like this worth, say if it is a new build or in good complete condition?

btw. wildwillydriver I love your tips and tricks, backingpowder worked great.

I think that as for everything vintage it's worth what you are ready to pay for it........ :)
To have an idea you can look at the "Bay" but they don't appear very often, i saw some new built or very good condition sold for something around 250£ GBP (more or less) but also for less than 150£.....

btw. happy you found the backingpowder tips useful! ;)

Mine is done and soon will post pics. "GIVE IT GAS" B)

img501_16102013161836_2.jpg

Bye
WWD

just missed out on the bay new built, went for 150€, **** that was cheap

yeah backing powder worked great but now my girl won't bake me any applepie. :)

have fun giving it gas, nice rebuild very informativ

Hi,
the TR-15T is done and i'm proud to show you some pictures of it waiting for the first test run. B)

You can CLICK HERE to see all the detailed pics in my showroom.

Hope you found this resto topic intresting as much as i enjoyed to work on this beauty, will keep you informed about the first test run and also about some small changes i'll do in the next future.....

img501_16102013161836_3.jpg

Bye
WWD

• Like 1

Thanks guys i really appreciate your comments! :)

This was a very fun resto that went through smoothly i just need to find the time to test it on the street..... :D

that K&N filter looks brilliant! a nice touch

Thanks Kevin i immediately thought at it when i received the TR-15T and i looks very nice!

Bye

WWD

:o