wildwillydriver

Tamiya TR-15T GP Stadium Truck (#44001) Restoration

Hi to all TR lovers.... :P

the TR had it's first test run in a big and free of abstacles parking lot...... :D
For the test i used an hot glow plug #3 and O'Donnell 25% nitro fuel (only this one in house at the moment), probably too high in nitro, 16% is more than enough for this kind of engines.
The engine when set is very regular and "crisp" and accellerate quickly, a pleasure to hear. I did 3 full tanks and had no stalls bogs or issue of any kind, GOOD JOB TAMIYA!!

A little tip for the firts start: the Tamiya manual seems to be not 100% correct....., i set the idle and the HSN (High Speed Needle) 3 turns out, pumped the fuel in to the engine (as by manual) and tried to start the motor, no success the engine was totally flooded...... :blink:
The correct set is: HSN 2 1/4 turns out, just one hit on the tank pump, glow plug heater and 4-5 pull starts and the engine idle like a dream!! B) Now it's on you to set the HSN properly, if you run like me on a big space with long wide open throttle runs, stay on the rich side to prevent engine damage.
As pointed out to me by email by a kind TC mate i forgot to mention that this difference is for sure in part due to the engine and needles wear that can have effect on engine set up, even if still sound strange to me a so big difference considering also the very high nitro % i used that in general help to run richer. Consider that these engines were made to run no nitro or very low % under 10%.
I don't want to say that Tamiya is wrong and did an error i just found it a little bit strange, probably they set the engines below sea level and i live near the mountains...... :P
Anyway, probably a brand new engine will start perfectly with Tamiya manual settings.

Also the MDC clutch needs to be set a little more tight than what the manual say.

The car has good speed and it's very very very fun to drive B) , perfect for donuts and sideway turns, by my words you can understand it lacks a little bit of traction, in part probably due to old tyres (even if still soft), i already have a new set of Pro-Line modern street truck tyres and RPM wheels ready to be assembled and tested, this to save the original NIB ones, not easy to find....
This is not a race car so i can't blame too much about performance and traction, it's a fantastic vintage basher, a king of parking lots and looks COOL! :)
Had some Vds of the test that i'm trying to edit (very little skills on this...) and also some still pics (here below one), no running pics due to my Canon CF card failure, they are postponed to the next run....... :(

img501_16102013161836_4.jpg

Bye
WWD
:)

• Like 2

Sounds like you had a blast! :lol: I bet this thing is actually more fun with the lesser grip - so you can actually do those donuts and slides through corners :) Shame about the CF card, better next time I guess :P

Dear All,

TR-15T resto is BACK! B)

After more than a year and a half of "broken links" (due to pictures hosting site closure) on all the pics of this thread, i found the time to host them again and fix all the links.

Hope this will be of interest and help to TC members and site visitors.

Bye.

WWD
:)

• Like 4

On 7/4/2011 at 5:17 PM, wildwillydriver said:

img501_16102013161836_4.jpg

This seems the Fiat Mirafiori Parking lot in Turin, right?

Max

• Like 1