Kevin_Mc

Vacuum forming Lexan

is that area coverable by a sticker? if so, 95% challenge is covered :) just cut, patch it level & sticker over it

for something more effort intensive... could chop the lexan flat leaving just mounting stubs then scratchbuild a new panel out of styrene

or cut out the molded vents and fill the hole with mesh

There's no stickers going on this one sadly, and I'm wanting to remove the vents rather than mesh them. It seems styrene or a mould is the only option. I'll see what Kamtec say and if it's not possible there's a guy in Canada that may be able to help.

Vac Forming can take a lot of tinkering and experimenting with your techniques to get a good quality pull from your mold. Every mold poses different problems and you will find yourself adding additional holes in recesses and hard corners, lifting your mold up for increased draw towards the bottom of mold features, playing with temperature and timing. Once you have figured it all out it can be very quick to manufacture quite a number of bodyshells ... That said the real time and effort is taken making your original model to create your buck/mold. I would not invest the time and effort involved if you are only attempting to make 1 shell. I would imagine it would not be too difficult to find a commercial company that has a vac former but the real trick would be to get access to it so you can learn the ins and outs of your mold. It is possible to build a relatively good vac former yourself but you'll want to have a few projects in the works to make the investment of time worthwhile...

James

i've spoken to Keith at Kamtec who may be able to help with the vac forming and some has given me some tips on making the mould