Wez-li

Avante 2001 Restoration

I'm about to start my next project, an Avante 2001, it's in OK condition, but I'm gonna give it a full strip and rebuild, down to the last screw, I've never built an Avante from scratch so it should be fun, (luckily I have the original instruction booklet)

Here she is as she stands now, complete with hi-caps ;)

IMG01995-20110209-1733.jpg

My Repro stickers for the shell have just arrived, so will paint the shell/wing at the weekend.

Any idea's, advice or comments welcome

Wish me luck!

Hi guys, the repros I bought were cheap, £3.99

Obviously not expecting miracles from them, but it beats paying silly money for originals, I'm on a budget, as usual lol

@TamiyaDan - Have you got a link for the HK decal seller? Price etc? As back up if these don't turn out well.

utf-8BSU1HMDIwMDAtMjAxMTAyMDktMjAyNC5qcGc.jpg

I've found some "laser cut" decals online, might give them a go

Hey Wez the decals you posted are the ones I got. Don't even bother tring to use them.

Wait until I get the next set from another printer if they are good I'll pm you with the details.

Ok mate, cheers, I've got plenty to do before I worry about the body anyway!

Finally got started stripping the Chassis, there are some modifications from standard Avante 2001, Hi-Caps and motor.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTYtMjAxMTAyMTktMjEyMy5qcGc.jpg

Gonna take a while to get all the parts cleaned, as you can see it's pretty dirty!

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTctMjAxMTAyMTktMjEyNC5qcGc.jpg

Lots more to do obviously!

Guest Greg67

Looks like it has been sitting for a while before you started restoring. going to look great once it's restored though. it looks to be in good shape. Not a lot of wear, just some dust from sitting. Must need some grease as well in areas. I forget who mentioned it before, but once every part is apart, they put them in the dishwasher. I just take apart, clean in the sink with soap and dry the parts. For some sections if the dust is greasy, I use a q-tip with a little rubbing alcohol. I'm sure you know that though. Oh, and wd-40 helps clean metal parts, and frees them up too.

The frp chassis and tower looks in excleent shape just dusty. Should clean up very nice with a little elbow grease.

Cool step by step thread!

Cheers mate, I'm gonna use the old slow + steady soap, water, toothbrush, q-tip etc method, I won't be dropping parts in the dishwasher, I think that would be the last straw with the wife!

Got some more done this morning, also had to remove the stickers on the wing, trim it, then sand it down.

More stripping + pics to come later :)

Cheers mate, I'm gonna use the old slow + steady soap, water, toothbrush, q-tip etc method, I won't be dropping parts in the dishwasher, I think that would be the last straw with the wife!

Got some more done this morning, also had to remove the stickers on the wing, trim it, then sand it down.

More stripping + pics to come later :)

Right, the Avante 2001 is pretty much done now, it was a very dirty chassis and took a while to get clean, was worth it in the end as I think it turned out ok.

I decided to try and revive this shell, rather than buy a new one.

It has a couple of small splits, but it was too good to throw away so I resprayed it matt black, and used the (admittedly not so great) repro vinyl sticker kit, kinda has a "rat look" about it now :o

Pics

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTUtMjAxMTAyMjUtMTgyMS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTctMjAxMTAyMjUtMTgyMi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTgtMjAxMTAyMjUtMTgyOC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjAtMjAxMTAyMjUtMTgzMy5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTktMjAxMTAyMjUtMTgzMy5qcGc.jpg

Once the chassis was cleaned and rebuilt, I gave the wheels a clean and stickered up the resprayed shell.

That's about it, haven't run it yet, apart from a test run before the clean up....

Well the decals i tried never came in, i've been in contact with the seller. seams the global unrest is holding up my package.

Can you let me know when you get some also :rolleyes:

Soon as I get my Avante 2001 decals I'll post pics of mine on here.

I got some coming from a guy in Thieland, but he's taking his time with them.

Any body tried these two places?

http://www.pyramidmodels.com/shop/product....eb50911dc4aa9ab

http://oneofftees.com/zencartPGFX/index.ph...products_id=123

Guys I just got off the phone with pyramidmodels.com and I asked him what the quality of the 2001 ones where like?

I asked him are they reproductions of the originals? and He said no, there original Tamiya ones that he got over 10 years ago and forgot all about them! and just found them after all this time

I have just ordered 2 XD

He says he has over 10 :rolleyes:

i'll update once they get here :rolleyes:

really hopping these are real

i believe i'm dealing with the same guy and i'm starting to believe i have been had.

Is it herohilux4x4 of the bay by any chance?

yup

and i just contacted him today he claims he sent me a second set of decals.

then you look at his feedback which states 100% pos and i looked and half the entries are talking about 1 month long wait times.

i've got a month and a half wait so far on mine.

Yeah I got an e-mail from him today stating the same. I have opend up a case against him too!!

Oh and I think he's going under a new user name on e-bay now, "rcperformance_goods ". So heads up peoples!!

Just sent him a friendly message too!! hmmm!

i'll update once they get here :(

really hopping these are real

Firstly, thanks for coming to me to buy your decals, as you have seen they are a lot cheaper than is currently being asked for on Ebay (£59.99)

and because of this, I can understand you feeling skeptical that they are just copies and or not real in some way. Sorry if the seller is a member here,

but they are really not worth that much IMO . . . .

A lot of the UK Ebay sellers did in fact buy their TAMIYA decals from me before we updated the shop software and website,

and at that time I forgot to put them back on the new site - they are now all back on !

I can assure you the sheets you purchased are 100% Original TAMIYA Decals, and they have been stored away on my shelf for at least 10 years, in perfect condition.

You will soon see for yourself, as both sets will be posted to you tomorrow ( Monday).

Here is a clearer scan i did today of the Avante 2001 decals.

TAM115.jpg