mtbkym01

Cleaning Tyres

I picked up these boxes of tyres and wheels which really need some attention

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

I obviously need to go through them all and sort out what is useable and what is rubbish, can anyone recommend a simple way of cleaning them without sitting and scrubbing each individual tyre (That could take me months :) )

As a bonus, there are some original Bigwig 'Mooncraft" wheels (which are a little rough), and some Gold supershot wheels in not too bad condition, some Turbo Optima wheels (only 2 unfortunately), and a number of what I think are Ultima wheels, aswell as some pretty generic chrome dish wheels

Cheers

Where do you find all this stuff??

Or is it a secret? :)

Yeah been gettin pretty lucky lately mate, This was donated to my RC Club by a lady who's husband has passed, and by me giving the club a token donation, I managed to get this lot, not sure how useful some of it is, but will try and sort it at some point, There may be something in there for you when I get down to SA too mate ;)

Yeah been gettin pretty lucky lately mate, This was donated to my RC Club by a lady who's husband has passed, and by me giving the club a token donation, I managed to get this lot, not sure how useful some of it is, but will try and sort it at some point, There may be something in there for you when I get down to SA too mate :)

I'm sure you'll find a use for it all!

Hopefully I have my car running by the time you get down here.

Went a bit nuts last night, and fully stripped it! ;)

Still waiting on some parts too.

dishwasher?

Hmm, This may well work, will have to keep it a secret though :mellow:

Hmm, This may well work, will have to keep it a secret though :unsure:

It works really well on filthy 1:1 engine parts too - but as you say it's best not to broadcast it to a significant other :mellow:

Don't put the Supershot rims in the dishwasher if you use the dishwasher tablets/powder, your gold will come off...

James

Don't put the Supershot rims in the dishwasher if you use the dishwasher tablets/powder, your gold will come off...

James

Thanks for that, it's mainly the tyres that need it but maybe a few rims aswell.

I must admit the supershot rims aren't brand new, they appear a little faded and chipped, will be fin for my hotshot for running though :mellow:

Well I ran a couple loads through the dishwasher and may have unearthed a couple of gems

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

A bit of sorting to do :lol:

IMG_1511-1.jpg

Getting there

IMG_1516-1.jpg

Glad the missus is away :lol:

A nice little stash there, and you want to hope she doesn't notice this thread over your shoulder one night or you'll be in for it, lol.

First pic is of Kyosho Optima Mid tyres. VEry rare so look after them

First pic is of Kyosho Optima Mid tyres. VEry rare so look after them

Yes, there are 6 of them, 2 in very good condition, and 4 in good condition. What about the other tyres, do you know what they are?

And speaking of looking after tyres, what's the best way? Is storing them in a snaplock bag ok?

Yes, there are 6 of them, 2 in very good condition, and 4 in good condition. What about the other tyres, do you know what they are?

And speaking of looking after tyres, what's the best way? Is storing them in a snaplock bag ok?

1st pic are OT-66 Tyres, worth a small fortune new, used about £20 on ebay.

Second pic is Kyosho W-5034 and not worth much im afraid ( I sell them New in pack for £10 free UK postage), so used maybe £3?.

The rest looks like a mish mash of tamiya, schumacher tyres, great for your runners.

There is a great youtube tutorial of how to clean tires. The guy gives them a scrub with acetone and they come back to looking new...

James

There is a great youtube tutorial of how to clean tires. The guy gives them a scrub with acetone and they come back to looking new...

James

Do you have a link?

Cheers

Cleaned and sorted, still some wheels to finish off, being:

BigWig full set

Kyosho Optima Mid (of some description, yellow turbo ultima looking, but hex front and rear)

Turbo Optima/Scorpion? 1 pair

Plus assorted others

IMG_1538.jpg

Can anyone identify these wheels, although in the photo they appear quite white (like Tamiya Wild One/Hotshot) they are infact more of a clear white/cream. They also have a 12mm hex, and are definately rear width

Any info would be great

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

Cheers